• NelosAngelos - August 5, 2011 10:33 p.m.

I find this sort of pointless, everyone is sue happy and it's getting a little out of hand. Next thing we know, game companies are going to sue one another for having "the" in the title. I personally identify all the games as "morrowind, oblivion, and skyrim" rather than the Elder scrolls XXVVIIXVI blah blah blah.
  • Bloodstorm - August 5, 2011 10:31 p.m.

Next up, a company tries to sue for using 'The' in the title, because their game has it in it's title. This is really stupid on Bethesdas part. The Elder Scrolls will not be mixed u with Scrolls, and no one refers tot he series as The Elder Scrolls. Everyone uses the title name not the franchise name. I don't think a tiny indie company with a game named Scrolls is going to cut into Skyrim profits. I don't even think Scrolls is slated for a release in this year.
  • Larinah - August 5, 2011 10:20 p.m.

The difference in someone using Warcraft in a name or Mario in a name is that they are not actual words, barring that Mario is an actual name for a person. The word scroll has been in use long before Bethesda decided they would make a game called "The Elder Scrolls." I mean, if this was the case, they could sue someone using the words elder, sky, rim, oblivion, wind, etc. The list could continue on and on. As far as I'm concerned, Bethesda needs to go work on making their game that's in production, not sue an indie developer who used a word that was in their title. This world=no common sense. Or maybe everyone is just greedy?
  • D0CCON - August 5, 2011 10:18 p.m.

They took one word from the title (and not the main word, notice how Skyrim is several times bigger than the word Scrolls, same goes for Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion). Jumping on that is stupid.
  • GOD - August 5, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Any point I could make would be nothing compared to what mockraven suggested... I'd say that's pretty crafty.
  • RoeTaKa - August 5, 2011 10:10 p.m.

Man that's like Nintendo taking someone to court for calling their game 'Legend'. I don't think I've ever spoken with anyone that refers to the series, it's always been Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim etc. To stop beating around the bush...Scrolls is a pretty crap name! Doesn't exactly spark any interest, unless you love scrolls.
  • Sniped50 - August 5, 2011 10:10 p.m.

Well, in the great Notch's own words, "I sincerely hope Bethesda isn’t pulling a Tim Langdell." We all do, Notch. We all do.
  • mockraven - August 5, 2011 10:06 p.m.

To be honest, I've always responded more to "Daggerfall," "Morrowind," "Oblivion," and "Skyrim" rather than the word "Scrolls." I get that all the titles are part of The Elder Scrolls series, but seriously, Scrolls and Skyrim won't be confused for one another. For that matter, why didn't this lawyer point out that "Minecraft" has the word "craft" in it like "Warcraft" was listed? To me it's the same amount of nit-picking. Silly legal garbage.
  • idlemindkiller - August 5, 2011 10:02 p.m.

Damn Bethesda, How many articles do you need today???