• Imgema - February 20, 2012 11:22 a.m.

Mario is still doing fine. Sonic on the other hand should have been euthanized a decade ago.
  • ncurry2 - February 20, 2012 11:11 a.m.

Lol. This is funny. There's only a handful of actual Mario titles for each console and they are always system defining games. Most earn perfect scores and Game of the Year awards from numerous sources. They are always among the best selling games for the system. They always push the technology and expand on the franchise's solid history. Lets recap: they continue to garner some of the highest critical acclaim, sell the most, and push the hardware and creative direction fronts. And we see a proper one released once every 3-4 years or so on average. If anything, we should see more Mario games. As for games tied to Mario (Mario Party, Mario Sports), I don't see what the harm is. They could introduce new characters and settings but why do that when they already have a stellar and instantly recognizable cast to pull from? Regardless of what you think, rest assured Nintendo won't be giving Mario a break any time soon. I see no reason why they should.
  • higgins78 - February 20, 2012 11:07 a.m.

Ive always been of the school of thought which likes Nintendo to focus quality over quantity, the Zelda franchise being a perfect example. When I think of Zelda I think of it in terms of generations, one game every generation will always suit me as long as the quality shines bright. Nintendo - for me - offer the same experience with a new Mario title, as in it can pump out as many Mario Parties and Mario Karts as it likes, just so long as when a traditional Mario is released it is the quality we have been spoiled with over many generations. For the NES think Super Mario Bros 1 & 3, 2 is iffy but still good. The SNES is Super Mario Bros, N64 is Mario 64, Gamecube is Mario Sunshine...bit of a miss there for me. Mario Sunshine I guess is the reason this gen we have has TWO classic Mario's, both Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. Please Nintendo, don't change!
  • jiodjflak - February 20, 2012 10:53 a.m.

I honestly think that Nintendo needs to give Mario a break. They need to focus on the games that they havent even mentioned in a while like F-Zero or Metroid.
  • CitizenWolfie - February 20, 2012 10:52 a.m.

Spin-offs aside, it's not like Mario games are being released once a year like FIFA, Madden or the FPS that everyone loves to hate. It's really only Galaxy 2 that came out (relatively) shortly after its predecessor. I mean, it took Sunshine 8 years to be the next "true" game after Mario 64! However, I'd say it IS time for a break. If anything I'd say Nintendo have actually made raised the bar so high with previous games that further Mario games (I personally include both Galaxies in this) have been sidesteps instead of being revolutionary. But even then I'd say it's more because gaming itself hasn't really evolved beyond better graphics. Sure, the Wii tried something different, and only Skyward Sword has really shown the Wii's potential, but Mario is the sort of game that doesn't benefit from motion control. Super Mario 3DS has been about the biggest improvement I've seen since Mario 64 in terms of the series as a whole, purely because it utilised the 3D aspect so well. So yes, perhaps Mario should take a break, at least wait until gaming changes significantly enough. Because Mario is at its best when it innovates and kickstarts a new generation.
  • CitizenWolfie - February 20, 2012 10:54 a.m.

"Made raised" should read "raised" *facepalm
  • talleyXIV - February 20, 2012 3:51 p.m.

Super Mario Sunshine came out 6 years after Super Mario 64.
  • CitizenWolfie - February 21, 2012 3:51 a.m.

Oooh I love it when you talk timeframes. For some reason I had my fail hat on and counted the difference between '96 and '02 wrong. *double facepalm*
  • Darkwun - February 20, 2012 10:34 a.m.

Though Mario evolves with each iteration and they are the pnnacle of platforming, with the forced black and white voting.... i voted yes. Simply because I want to see what else Nintendo can do. The Mario games are great-they're not for me, I've gone off platforming since the N64 days, but Nintendo just doing something different would just shake things up. I'm obsessive compulsive so I know about sticking to routines, but I know for the people around me it's a pain in the arse. We wait ages for a new Zelda, I don't mind waiting for a new Mario inbetween a brand new novel franchise that tests Nintendo's imagination in new ways.
  • ACGUY - February 20, 2012 10:27 a.m.

I want a Mario Game for every new console! And an F-Zero too Nintendo..... Also Star Fox.... Oh don't forget Earthbound!
  • MCN2011 - February 20, 2012 10:26 a.m.

Nintendo's Mario games continue to feature some of the most creative and original gameplay in the world, and continue to be highly acclaimed by both reviewers and gamers alike. Unfortunately, some retards can't see past the fact that they have the same lead character. Luckily, nobody actually listens to these people.
  • Person5 - February 20, 2012 10:20 a.m.

While I think Mario has indeed run his course, I don't think Nintendo should stop playing Mario games, I'm still a sucker for a good platformer, and Mario games are usually the only ones out there, Rayman Origins helped for a time though
  • GameManiac - February 20, 2012 10:14 a.m.

It wouldn't be right of Nintendo to just abandon him. Mario single-handedly brought back Nintendo of America from the brink of bankruptcy, and allowed them to bring their games here into the USA.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - February 20, 2012 10:11 a.m.

Finish Paper Mario and then give us some Metroid or something, for god's sake. Other M doesn't count.
  • aberkromby - February 20, 2012 9:52 a.m.

They needed to quit the Mario crap 5 years ago. I no longer have any respect for Nintendo anymore, because of their utter lack of creativity. Seriously, they've been milking the same characters for thirty straight years. Enough already.
  • winner2 - February 20, 2012 9:50 a.m.

If Mario was given a break and I didn't get a new paper mario I'd be pretty pissed. So no.
  • ithurtstopoop - February 20, 2012 9:50 a.m.

No - no they should not, that little blue hedgehog on the other hand...
  • yonderTheGreat - February 20, 2012 9:15 a.m.

Ain't no derned reason. If the games are good and they're not story-oriented, then having the same mascot is perfectly fine.
  • Net_Bastard - February 20, 2012 9:12 a.m.

They should either make some changes or take a break for while. Make a gritty reboot or something. Either that, or Nintendo should come up with some new IP's already. They're relying on Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon to sell their consoles. Maybe make an M-rated IP again (Yes, I know how Geist turned out. But that was when people weren't wanting a mature IP), or just something different from the usual Nintendo fare.
  • benchesh - February 20, 2012 9:06 a.m.

I'll never get tired of Mario games, so no!