• Wizrai - January 16, 2009 2:18 a.m.

I find this article amazing, as I use to spend some of my time with these apps, doing random doodles or piles of ideas which usually turns into projects. Knew a lot of those listed, but also found some very intersting ones. In the end, what matters is that you enjoy this work, it will always be frustrating, and doing it all by yourself won't help the progress, since you'll get a new idea to experiment with, and leave your current project, and so on...but still, thanks for the article, Tyler!
  • deathrebellion - January 15, 2009 5:04 p.m.

Gr8 article man i've been searching 4 somthing like this 4 quite a while Thanx
  • King Rupert6 - January 14, 2009 9:14 p.m.

i've been working on a game, and i use realm crafter. it's pretty simple, and it has its own little editors, that range form making terrains to making rocks. =p and if you're sorta serious about making a game, realm crafter's price doesn't seem as much if you see some other 'spensive programs
  • redwing605 - January 14, 2009 4:48 p.m.

I had to use game maker for class I really didn't enjoy it, but I guess I am a little biased since he throw us at the program and he didn't teach us anything about it. We had to produce simple demos within a week so it wasn't the best first experience with the program.
  • lorien - January 14, 2009 3:56 p.m.

Another good game engine for learning is the Torque Game Engine Advanced from Garage Games. You can start out making games by learning Torque Script. If you feel real adventurous, you can go as far as modifying the engine with C/C++. If you pickup one of the books on Torque, they will normally include a copy of the engine to use for free. If you then want the source to the engine, they have an indie license for around $300. Worth looking into if you are serious about publishing your game....
  • Spybreak8 - January 14, 2009 10:03 a.m.

Yea I used RPG Maker when I attended the Unv. at Buffalo before and it was fun to create a south park inspired Tom Cruise morphing Scientologist Boss battle heavy story.^^ I'm using Game maker atm with my 3D scripting class and we're reusing Unreal Editor in my adv level design class with the Art Institute online. I've heard of blender too. Funny thing is my classes expect me to come up with a new game every 6 weeks, I'm more of the 3D modeler though. This is a great list of useful programs, hope someone does take the plunge.
  • TheNobleRobot - January 14, 2009 9:54 a.m.

j/k
  • CH3BURASHKA - January 14, 2009 6:14 a.m.

Blender is mentioned here. I'm not much of programmer, game designer or pretty much anything (yet), but I've been fooling around with TrueSpace 7.6. It's a free 3D modeler from Caligari.com
  • GamesRadarTylerWilde - January 14, 2009 4:15 a.m.

Due to popular demand, a few MAC softwares. Note that there are Mac versions of some of the software already listed (In hindsight, I should have included the platforms in the list). I know that they are working on a Mac version of Game Maker. Since I don't have a Mac, I haven't tested these to make sure they work, but here are a few I came across: http://www.klinksoftware.com/ http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7/Welcome.html http://sourceforge.net/projects/rdgs/ http://www.stagecast.com/ There's a lot more old software out there, but when OS X was released a lot of them no longer worked, and their creator's didn't have the time or energy to update them. That's probably one of the main reasons there are more small PC apps available - even DOS programs should still run with a little tinkering.
  • Dude42493 - January 14, 2009 4:12 a.m.

Wow,great article.I know I've had a couple good ideas before but really no way to create them.Thanks.vul
  • GamesRadarTylerWilde - January 14, 2009 12:40 a.m.

You don't necessarily need superb math skills to get started, but you should obviously understand the basics. Anything can be learned - perhaps no one has taught it to you in quite they way you need them to. Hang in there and good luck!
  • Johnny6Gun - January 13, 2009 10:35 p.m.

Been playing a lot of indie games recently and after the Bob's Game fiasco, it's fun to see what game creation options are out there for the rest of us to download and leave on our C:/ drive, untouched.
  • cricket0 - January 13, 2009 10:28 p.m.

Im going 2 make one about the Companion cube.
  • babo_u_da - January 13, 2009 9:58 p.m.

eh the closest to making my own game was making a ums map in starcraft in campaign editor
  • Mattieu - June 27, 2009 8:51 p.m.

So where are these tools at?
  • sharifsta - January 24, 2009 8:01 p.m.

but what should do is teach this guys how to program at ave level that way they can may there kits i would even try im only animation designer so im good with stuff like also im pround to say ive been animating since i was 10 and im 14 now so ya
  • iHeartNintendo - January 23, 2009 5:39 p.m.

keeep the stay in school part :)
  • godofdarknes - January 20, 2009 4:33 p.m.

i have made a few games my self in the past 3 years.i have a game maker from www.garagegames.com & yoyogames.com. they are very good games to play!
  • skarmz - January 18, 2009 2:15 p.m.

i downloaded blender
  • Lucas_Gaspar - January 17, 2009 10:08 a.m.

Im using DxStudio for game development, you should add this to the list too