Topics

SimCity

We Recommend

• Mooshon - August 31, 2012 2:39 p.m.

All I know is that Tilt-shift focus effect is just made for this game. Looks beautiful, can't wait.
  • Redeater - August 31, 2012 1:30 p.m.

Can I get a Mario statue? If not I'll kindly take a pass.
  • McSpermie - August 31, 2012 1:27 p.m.

I like how Cooper tried to spin a constant online DRM as a good thing, are you kidding me? We all saw how well that turned out with Diablo 3. However, the game does sound good, and if there is a LAN option I'll be a happy guy.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 31, 2012 1:50 p.m.

It's not online DRM if it actually does something. That's like saying World of Warcraft has online DRM. It actually adds to it by making it into a persistent online game.
  • McSpermie - August 31, 2012 2:09 p.m.

It does add something, you're right about that. At the same time, however, it removes options like single player and building your own neighboring cities. I think the best case would have been a separate single player mode a la Simcity 4, and how it is currently as well. That way modding would have been a possibility, we're not going to see that now. I'm not a fan of restrictions for the sake of additional content.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 31, 2012 5:06 p.m.

They said you can build your own neighboring cities in this one, too. You're not forced into a neighborhood of other people, you get to pick that stuff.
  • yonderTheGreat - August 31, 2012 9:20 p.m.

Sorry dude, but the "it's not DRM" argument is one you'll never win. There are numerous reasons. 1)What do we believe the underlying reason for the change in the game mechanics is. Sorry, but in the Steam-Origin war, the vast majority of people don't think it's coincidence that all of EA's major PC releases suddenly have multiplayer added onto them. The *reason* is so that this will be an Origin game that won't be sold on Steam. Sure, it's an infinitely better way to implement always-on DRM than UbiSoft's draconian method, but the primary reason is DRM, not gameplay mechanics. 2)Does it make sense to force this onto players? *NOOOOOOO* If EA was serious about their claim that this is a new gameplay mechanic, it would be *optional*. It's not. It's required. Or, if you want another word, forced. If you took a survey of desired features a few months before this was announced then I'm promise you "I want Sim City to always be online, sharing with everyone, all the time, no matter what" wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list. Or the middle of the list. EA is doing this with *ALL* of their games. Heck, even their sports games for goodness sake. You're doing yourself a disservice as a writer by not acknowledging the obvious. Kudos, tho, for replying to the comments. Not enough writers take the time.
  • yonderTheGreat - September 5, 2012 9:18 a.m.

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-boss-proudly-refuses-to-publish-single-player-games-234402.phtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Destructoid+%28Destructoid%29&utm_content=Google+Reader Headline says it all. Yes, it's a sensationalist, quote-warping headline, but please list all major EA releases that are single-player only since Origin came out.
  • Voltanis - November 30, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning... and look how THAT turned out.
  • ParagonT - November 29, 2012 6:35 p.m.

I just wanted to add that DRM does do something, its a good prevention to pirating, modding, effective control by devs, and the like. But it also another barrier that keeps you from your game. I think it becomes a question of "Is this feature needed for the game to work and achieve its entertainment purposes?". For WoW, that would be an unanimous yes en lieu the empty huge worlds, but as for Sim, that would be a no because it doesn't need it to function and entertain. As someone said before me, if it was optional, then I would see no problem with it. But is it indeed optional? I doubt it. It seems placed there not for the users benefit, which is what bugs people.
  • simplethunder - August 31, 2012 5:34 p.m.

These silly arguments remind me of this video by Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_UmWdcTrrc
  • BiscuitWheels - November 29, 2012 6:33 p.m.

How well it turned out for Diablo 3? Yeah, 10 million copies sold, what a disaster.
  • FreezeRay - August 31, 2012 12:35 p.m.

BOOOOOO!!!!! always online is really the only thing I don't like about this. I don't want to make a sweet city only for my friends to mess with it while I'm not online. I hope they have a regional offline mode like Sim City 4. It sounds a little like societies with the whole "People as resources" thing where the goal is more happiness instead of economics.
  • simplethunder - August 31, 2012 5:58 p.m.

Are you aware that mined coal, oil, alloy, electronics, crafted produce and many others are also considered as resources in the game? A simulated supply-demand based global economy says otherwise.
  • Scuffles - August 31, 2012 12:22 p.m.

So always online.... and did they ever change the one city thing? Eh what do I know anyhow I stopped playing at simcity 2k but damn I loved that game. Oh well its a pass for me