Topics

DLC

• NullG7 - June 22, 2012 5:31 p.m.

You forgot one that trumps quite a few on the list, Gotham City Imposters had I think 70 something pieces of DLC. I mean sure they were mostly unlocks (you could unlock them in the game) but considering that they were mostly 1$ or more that added up to I'm guessing over 100$. Although I think it was the best thing ever if only because it kicked Rock Band's Ass in the DLC market for a day... ... ... WAIT WHAT ABOUT ROCK BAND YOU COULD HAVE A CRACK ADDICTION AND HAVE LESS EXTRANEOUS EXPENDITURES!!!
  • ElAmmoBandito - June 22, 2012 2:26 p.m.

I still can't get over the fact that I spent over 100 dollars on new vegas. I remember playing through it then all of a sudden my screen would start to freeze, at that point I would want to destroy my PS3! Worst/Best game ever.
  • robotdickens - June 22, 2012 2:53 p.m.

I have to say, Fallout 3 was amazing on the storyline but the DLCs sucked ass. While New Vegas' story was less than awesome, the DLCs were incredibly awesome.
  • forestfire55 - June 22, 2012 10:33 p.m.

I think you have that backwards buddy, mothership zeta was bad and operation A were kinda bad, but they cant hold a shit candle to dead money and honest hearts.
  • robertpopovic - June 23, 2012 12:17 a.m.

Yeah, Fallout New Vegas is one of those games I only bought just recently so I could get the whole package for a neat price. Usually I try to hold off on buying new games that I just know will have a lot of DLC (Borderlands 2). Though some games make it too hard to wait :P
  • ThatGamerDude - June 22, 2012 12:56 p.m.

If you added Need for Speed: World in here with its $100 DLC car (I can't remember which car it was) plus its other DLC packs then this article would've been a whole different story even if NfS: World is F2P.
  • Fuzunga - June 22, 2012 11:03 a.m.

You could buy Oblivion GOTY edition for $30
  • e1337prodigy - June 22, 2012 10:45 a.m.

PS3 customers are getting ripped off, haha.
  • talleyXIV - June 24, 2012 1:54 p.m.

In what way? No one is forcing us to buy this junk, same with Xbox. You are the worst fanboy on this site.
  • db1331 - June 22, 2012 10:08 a.m.

$124 for Oblivion and all DLC on Xbox. I think I paid $7.50 for that on Steam. This is why I facepalm when people claim PC gaming is so expensive.
  • zombi3grim - June 22, 2012 5:49 p.m.

Its not if you run your shit on minimal with older games. Put that shit on max on a brand new triple AAA title that released this year. If you dont have a good rig, good luck.
  • JachAnen - June 24, 2012 3:20 a.m.

Exactly. The hardware is more expensive, but lasts longer. And the games are a lot cheaper. Plus we can use mods :)
  • OldBlues - June 22, 2012 9:48 a.m.

DLC is fine when it's not an excuse to release an unfinished product. Of course, on-disc DLC is still horrible but what can you do?
  • FoxdenRacing - June 22, 2012 9:38 a.m.

I'm surprised you didn't go for Forza 4 for one of your 'Wowza' games, Justin...too easy of a target? That one's anywhere from 5,920msp ($74) to 8,400msp ($105) just for the expansion packs [not the base game, the avatar stuff, or anything like that...just add-on cars] depending on whether or not someone buys the Season Pass or individual packs for the same, and on which order the player buys VIP and Porsche [as VIP gives a $5 discount on the Porsche pack, and the Season Pass is about a 40% discount on its contents]. That said, that kind of cash gets you almost 150 extra cars...and they're planning on doing a few more of these packs (at $7 each). Borderlands is another expensive one, clocking in at $60 worth of DLC...but I don't know of anyone that complains about the price/value ratio of that one. On DLC itself, my opinion's subjective. It can be great, it can be absolutely evil, and part of me puts zero faith in the central auth server model, knowing that the day will come where the hard drive craps out on me and the servers have been taken down. It's up to the implementation and surrounding circumstances to decide whether it's the logical evolution of expansion packs or a shameless nickel-and-dime cash grab.
  • xx_CaPTiiN_SpAiiN_zz - June 22, 2012 9:33 a.m.

i hate to see people complaining about dlc its because they cant afford it. go and get a better job lmao were do you live africa??/
  • KA87 - June 22, 2012 7:10 a.m.

DLC= The worst thing to happen to gaming ever (it can be debated, but it is still in the top 3). They use to sell entire games that were well made and now they sell partial games and release the rest of the game on DLC. Let’s start a movement to end DLC before it kills video games and forces us to go back to playing High Ho the Cheerio because we can’t afford the DLC to complete the game.
  • CrashmanX - June 22, 2012 7:47 a.m.

For certain cases DLC is a problem, for others it's not. LBP and Oblivion are both examples of it not really being an issue. Granted Oblivion has ALL that DLC, but are you really going to use/buy every piece of it? Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine sure, but everything else? At that point why didn't you get the GOTY version? As far as LBP, are you REALLY going to use all those costumes if you bought all of them? Really?
  • KA87 - June 23, 2012 5:48 a.m.

Dude, I did not say anything about Oblivion or LBP (and for your info, I did go the GOTY route). I was trying to point out that more and more of today’s games seem to come out and within like a month or two there is quite a bit of DLC for them (add-on missions, cloths, weapons, etc….). When it comes out that fast, it kind of makes you think that they intentionally kept content out of the game just to get you to pay more so that you can get the full experience out of the game. Think about it, you just shelled out $60 bucks for a game and now they want you to pay $15-20 on DLC that could have just come with the game. More and more companies will start doing this if they are allowed to get away with it because it vastly increases their profit margin. Trust me, if you could get away with gaining $20 more per unit by simply withholding some of the content, you would do it to. If the industry continues on this course, an games actual price tag will continue to rise in price until it gets to the point where people stop buying games and switch to a new medium of entertainment. At this point, the industry will either die or shift into producing low cost and low quality games and we will be back to playing checkers with our younger sister who cheats. This will likely happen within the next 15 to 20 years because most people don’t take the time to look away from their I-phones to see the entire picture and what is coming down the road. A great example of people missing the obvious is those self checkouts in Wally World (Wal-Mart). They are just the first step in process of eliminating cashiers from the workplace. Yes, lets eliminate jobs, there is no chance that will ever come back to haunt us. As unemployment continues to rise we will likely have a civil war or a revolution. Either way, a lot of people will die and we will become a 3rd world nation.
  • CrashmanX - June 23, 2012 12:37 p.m.

Bro, no shit. It's called the general public keeps buying DLC so they'll keep doing it. That's obvious logic.
  • Shadow Of Death - June 22, 2012 8:02 a.m.

DLC is fine when it isn't content obviously cut from the release. I have no problem dropping $5 to $20 on content if it's worth it. Case and point, the Shivering Isles expansion on Oblivion. The upcoming DLC for Skyrim definitely looks worth it (I'd guess $15?). Capcom is notorious about this. All they're changing with their new "Not on disc" policy is that you'll download stuff that they would normally have put on the disk. So yeah, their idea of a policy change is to make it worse really (same content you'd get disk locked, only you have to DL it).