• rabbit1397 - September 16, 2008 11:29 p.m.

Thank god for N+.
  • Tochy - September 16, 2008 11:27 p.m.

im a noob? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
  • lakawak - September 16, 2008 11:25 p.m.

Oh and autosave...yeah..it sure was tough to play those games in the 80s where you could easily finish them in LESS THAN AN HOUR! The ones that you couldn't had....well...lookie here...a SAVE feature! Anther bullshit lie. Seriously, thiws is written like a high school freshman wrote it. I can almost picture the author giggleing like a 14 year old and how funny he thinks he is being. But he is the only one laughing. (Kind of like his picture.)
  • lakawak - September 16, 2008 11:22 p.m.

Gee...call me crazy, but I never had to aim my fireballs when I was Fiery Mario. OR in ANY 8 bit game since it was 2D. I could go on and on about this poorly written, and unfunny article, but that really says it all in just how bad this article is. Luckily for you, you have more than enough paid spammers to front page this to Digg and other sites.
  • ELpork - September 16, 2008 7:05 p.m.

Thank god for mega man 9.
  • shockolate - September 16, 2008 6:57 p.m.

i fully agree with this article
  • fionnoh - September 16, 2008 5:49 p.m.

"War continues in the morning" rofl. loved the article.
  • BigManPigMan - October 12, 2008 11:36 p.m.

lol dude great article.
  • blocpartier - September 23, 2008 3:11 a.m.

Personally I think that games have gotten and will be getting easier, but I guess that's true partly because there is a whole new generation of gamers now. The part with the "tutorials or manuals" is somewhat true. One or the other people! Most gamers just know the controls before they even start a new game anyways so idk why they bother making them.
  • Patius - September 22, 2008 12:06 a.m.

I agree. Although memory cards and such don't always make things better. There were games for the NES that had saves.
  • chompucabra - September 21, 2008 3:53 a.m.

ha its true its true
  • Bondosan - September 20, 2008 1:45 p.m.

I totally disagree. I like all of the things trashed in this article. I don't feel any more accomplished when I finish a tough game than I do when I finish an easy one. It's only a game and although I feel satisfied when I beat a game, I'm not exactly proud of myself. I'd be just as wonderful or crappy a person if I didn't finish the game. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.
  • georgeguy - September 20, 2008 1:35 a.m.

apart from alot of people, i thought it was a good artical. but then again... playing cod4 with no auto save... that will suck
  • themob24 - September 19, 2008 11:01 a.m.

amazing post!! that's really tru...instead of generating health they should've made players die in 1-3 shots like the previous rainbow six games
  • lewis42025 - September 18, 2008 4:35 p.m.

good god...wow. i just thought the article wuz funny az hell, i didnt think that he wuz talking about society, or anything like that. people, lighten up, jesus. but anyway, great article, and yes, it wuz true, but just b/c older games were harder, that duznt make them better. war continues in the morning....
  • Theguy - September 18, 2008 4:58 a.m.

Anyone who disagrees with this article probably just jumped into gaming last gen. Challenging games are a rare breed because honestly people don't like it. Look how gimped DMC4 was due to DMC3 being too hard. How many people wrote off Shinobi on PS2 for the same reason? GodHand was ignored by many and one of the big digs it got in reviews (AH LAWD IGN) was it was too difficult. Not saying that ALL GAMES have to be intense as hell but damn this article hits the nail on the head twice. Almost every major AAA title pales in comparison to some of the games mentioned. For every Ninja Gaiden or DMC you get 10 other games that are much easier and thus more appealing. And some of these comments....good God...grow up people. Calling the author who presents his point in a valid and logic manner a 14 year old because he considers Halo easier than Doom 2 is beyond idiotic. Back up your points. And no 1 or 2 hard games every 3 years is hardly a rebuttal.
  • Despingator - September 18, 2008 3:34 a.m.

And along with this comes the Pussyfication of The Modern man. Dude I'm with ya...Modern society Sucks. Lets make this World Like Hyboria!!!!
  • mishmoigon - September 18, 2008 12:03 a.m.

So true...
  • 1NVAD3R - September 17, 2008 11:09 p.m.

It's refreshing to finally see someone unearth the dire failures of games in this new era. Another great article, David.
  • urnoob - September 17, 2008 6:02 p.m.

wow. u r an idiot. have you ever thought to think that maybe these games have these features because of the multiplayer aspects. they are designed to give players a better chance to react to the things around them. you talk about games being harder in the past. they are harder because they arn't able to fit as many control options in. they arn't as smooth as current games. I play a ton of old video games. im a snes guy. im pretty sure that you suck at most video games.