• Samael - September 11, 2010 2:44 a.m.

I was really expecting Darkest of Days to be on this. What a goddamn BRILLIANT concept...and it sucked big fat balls.
  • Darkmessiah24 - September 11, 2010 2:44 a.m.

Some of those games like Fragile Dreams, Call of Cthullu, Scribblenauts and Nier aren't exactly bad but they could have been better though.
  • BlindMarksman - September 11, 2010 3:48 a.m.

Somebody finally mentions Call Of Cthulhu! (And Area 51 as an added bonus, AND IN THE SAME ARTICLE!) But i didn´t expect it to receive hate... I mean, the gameplay wasn´t the best, but neither was Resident Evil´s yet that one is highly regarded. In my opinion, It is one of the best horror games ever made. Not even Fatal Frame had the kind of atmosphere that Call of Cthulhu had... But, oh well... (By the way, i never experienced any bugs or the like, but it´s probably because i had the Xbox version)
  • FinderKeeper - September 11, 2010 4:19 a.m.

How could Nier possibly be badly executed with polygons like that? o.O Oh yeah... awesome graphics doesn't do it all by itself. Oh well, I can just gaze at that picture for a while... all by myself... 8-)
  • DreamWeaverPL - September 11, 2010 4:25 a.m.

You could name a lot of games that had greater concepts and were executed even worse than those on this list. Which means that this list is really, really lousy.
  • garnsr - September 11, 2010 4:35 a.m.

These are the games that we hear about so much in previews, praised for months, then they come out and get a 6 or 7. It's not hard to understand why, with all the people and technology and everything that goes into a modern game, but it's disappointing when something you've been really into for a while just fizzles out.
  • elpurplemonkey - September 11, 2010 4:38 a.m.

I actually played Area 51. It was extremely ok, just ok- nothing more, nothing less. Very interesting article, I checked out the chase scene in Call of Cthulhu, it makes it look like the game was very, very good.
  • quincytheodore - September 11, 2010 5:03 a.m.

I can't agree with you more on Nier. The game that could have been. It's like the story writer and OST composer tried so hard to make the game work, but gameplay and graph department were sabotaging them. Poor shame.
  • jmcgrotty - September 11, 2010 6:12 a.m.

You forgot FPS'es, as a group.
  • 2cute2Bcruel - September 11, 2010 6:14 a.m.

Oh, boy. I have to agree about Scribblenauts. On top of its frustrating puzzles, I think that I may have bought it under false pretenses. I heard "Scribblenauts" and my brain interpreted "Sketchnauts".
  • jollyroger50 - September 11, 2010 10:38 a.m.

area 51 was nowhere near as bad as area 51:blacksite
  • NearNRiver - September 11, 2010 4:50 p.m.

I think Mirror's Edge could have been on this list, even though the game din't Suck, it defiantly wasn't half what it could have, and should have, been.
  • vigilant - September 11, 2010 5:20 p.m.

Very Disapointed in the fact you didn't add Naughty Bear on here. I'd have rather bought ET the game, because at least that had collectors value. Naughty Bear was an absoloute disgrace.
  • Helios - September 11, 2010 5:38 p.m.

I have Area 51 for PC, and it isn't that bad. It's actually pretty fun. However, I was kind of hoping Iron Storm would be on this list, and Too Human.
  • lovinmyps3 - September 11, 2010 9:55 p.m.

I enjoyed Kane & Lynch despite it's flaws. I didn't hold on to it, but I didn't think it was absolutely awful. And I remember enjoying Area 51, but that's about it. It was a good rental.
  • farsided - September 11, 2010 10:13 p.m.

yeah...APB should have been listed as the number one "awesome concept, terrible game". It had everything needed to be great, amazing customization, freedom of design, and strategic, yet frantic pvp. Everyone I told about it was immediately fascinated the second they heard "cops and robbers mmo by one of the founders of GTA". Yet when the beta hit, EVERYONE wised up fast. I went back to all the people who I'd hyped the game to, and told them to ignore it. And what happened? The game tanked so bad RTW almost shut down. If that doesn't define great concept, bad game, I don't know what does.
  • AuthorityFigure - September 12, 2010 1:56 a.m.

Anyone with any mid-term memory would never have expected Scribblenaughts to be all that great - it is just too ambitious for a single studio to make. It needs a community.
  • philipshaw - September 12, 2010 12:32 p.m.

Great article,I would have to add Dark Void which is such a average game but the idea of vertical combat and switching between flight and on the ground combat should have been so much better
  • FauxFurry - September 12, 2010 3:09 p.m.

@GermanMafia94-The game you're looking for to compare Area 51 to is FarCry,a game which begins with a normal man surrounded by highly trained mercenaries on an isolated tropical island but ends with him as a genetically altered super soldiers tearing them apart with the greatest of ease with his claws and shrugging off machine gun rounds with his heightened endurance and accelerated cellular regeneration. @gamingfreak-Nier was more of a game that caused more of a split between critics than anything,not some universally loathed title. Take this game critcs review,for example. Can't get more positive than that! http://www.gamecritics.com/trent-fingland/nier-review Still,this list could use more JRPG,a sub-genre that is chock full of games with great stories or concepts but fall down on their big eyed,pointy nosed faces trying to run with those concepts while hefting about great big pointy objects. reCAPTC: storede Review I'm going to have to use that new randomly generated adjective in a sentence ASAP! That was a storede article,Sterling! I mean it!
  • sethcruz - September 12, 2010 3:46 p.m.

Tom Clancy Endwar was a intresting idea, too bad its full of so many glitches and bugs that it falls through the crack of the floor.