• BladedFalcon - February 19, 2014 1:21 p.m.

TWEWY most definitely need and deserves a sequel. Certainly way more than Kingdom Hearts does >_> And yeeeeah... I WOULD like an Eternal Darkness Sequel, but not if Dyack's involved, that guy has earned every single bit of distrust publisher and people have for him. Maybe if the rest of the team kicked Dyack out, I'd consider it, but that seem unlikely.
  • Vonter - February 19, 2014 2:33 p.m.

We need more RPGs in "modern" settings, aside from this and Persona it'll be nice to see more RPGS break the fantasy epic or futuristic approach. Eternal Darkness has it very very hard to equal it's predecessor. More so now that Survival Horror is relegated to smaller experiences, unless you're Shinji Mikami [but we´ll see how that one goes].
  • BladedFalcon - February 19, 2014 3:23 p.m.

As a Nintendo enthusiast, I'm surprised you didn't mention Earthbound, an RPG set in modern settings and that has been praised by many. Eh, honestly, I don't see it that hard to make a good Eternal Darkness sequel, specially because not a lot of people have copied or done anything like the sanity mechanic. It doesn't even have to be a big budget game to work either. All you really need is think up of new ways to mess with the player using the sanity mechanic, and another good set-up like the one in the first game that spanned several ages and civilizations. There's a lot of untapped potential in both of those things.
  • Vonter - February 19, 2014 4:16 p.m.

Oh the Mother series is like a kafkian story, Earthbound was ok, but my devotion to the series starts and ends with Mother 3 and that one was partially urban in setting. I also liked Mother 1. The problem is that series is weird, you also have a lot of fantasy and sci fi elements to it. Also does Shadowrun [SNES] wouldn't also count? Or is that more like Fallout?
  • shawksta - February 19, 2014 5:36 p.m.

Even with scifi the series still had some sort of urban feeling. Or atleast for the most part of Earthbound where you are constantly going to different cities outside outragous places. Those games are weird as heck, i mean at one point you gotta constantly fight an officer after another, and then later you get taken to a trap by some random women.
  • Vonter - February 19, 2014 5:50 p.m.

Random ATTRACTIVE woman. Also is it just me or they get drugged with ice cream in the coast town? Yeah I should have mentioned it but honestly is not one of my favorite games. I liked Mother 3 better. Mainly because that game has actual animation and the story is not as disjointed. I mean Earthbound is like an episodic game where each town is its own story.
  • shawksta - February 19, 2014 5:56 p.m.

They do Then again we have to put into mind that the developer put awkward things in his life in the game. Which is why it was disjointed. Mother 3 is a sequel so no doubt its better.
  • Vonter - February 19, 2014 6:28 p.m.

I guess,,, Mother 3 I may be a fanboy here, but I think is the best and that is very rare that the third and final chapter in a series surpasses its predecessors. I mean just look at every third game this generation, at the very least they were not bad, but they didn't reach the same levels as their previous iterations.
  • shawksta - February 19, 2014 6:57 p.m.

I know Mother 3 is amazing you dont have to tell me twice. Tons of games out there right now dont really outstand themselves much. There are some games out there though but some lose their touch after a while without really shaking things up for the better.
  • Vonter - February 19, 2014 7:41 p.m.

And what is that better? Some things get better, although short sighted me thinks they mainly do it in the presentation while keeping the gameplay more or less the same. I hope we see more great leaps like Arkham City was to Asylum, Mario Galaxy was to Sunshine, Bioshock was to System Shock, Dead Space was to RE 4.
  • shawksta - February 19, 2014 8:01 p.m.

I agree, the only way to be outstanding is to do an entirely new presentational upgrade like the ones you listed. Usually its because the first game's presentation is what caught gamers the most, so even if a sequel improves the gameplay, some may still feel attached to the first game because of the first experience. Some games that have this is Bioshock, and the first Mario Galaxy. We have to put into mind that some games out there are "Second chances" to improve some mistakes or just have new ideas to the concept. Really there's a ton of ways of how a sequel can be made and for what purpose. Thats the beauty of gaming. To each their own in what they perfer but goddamn.
  • Vonter - February 19, 2014 7:44 p.m.

Mainly sequels having their own flavor rather than just making the first games look for lack of a better word "obsolete".
  • Cyberninja - February 19, 2014 10:38 p.m.

As a fan you should know TWEWY is such a great standalone game, there is absolutely zero need for a sequel. After all there is no way they could have the same impact with or without a new cast.
  • BladedFalcon - February 19, 2014 11:10 p.m.

I agree that the story doesn't need a continuation, and that's not what I want. But so much about TWEWY apart from the story and characters was fantastic, and in a way no game have done before or since. I'd like them to revisit and improve upon the combat system, visit another, maybe more rural Japanese Locale still using that same art-style, and even if it doesn't have the same impact as the firat game's story, it doesn't mean they couldn't crate new awesome characters and expand upon the rules established in the first game. I mean, I get your point, and part of me agrees that TWEWY doesn't need another game like it, but then there's the greedy part of me that would want more of what the game offered, specially since no other game out there does.
  • obviouslyadouche - February 19, 2014 1:19 p.m.

I get very happy every time the world ends with you is written about in a feature.