Topics

ESA SOPA

We Recommend

• madman725 - January 4, 2012 12:05 p.m.

The spirit of the bill is correct (at least from what I've read); internet piracy should be stopped. If you're a true supporter of gaming, you should support the company that made it and buy the game. If you argue that games are too expensive and it is beneficial to be free... you probably shouldn't be worrying about games in your current economic situation. I can't comment on if I support the bill or not though, as I have not read into it that much.
  • ParagonT - January 4, 2012 1:11 p.m.

If were talking about stopping piracy, I totally agree, but this bill is not the answer or alternative we need. The range and scope of the bill is way too broad and gives the copyright holder waaaay too much power in terms of shutting the site down and such. Anyhow, this bill is just reiterating on already existing laws. "Don't steal other peoples sh1t.", simple as that. They already have a right to sue copyright offenders anyhow, so what possibly do you think this bill is for exactly? Most likely they are trying to broaden the reach of their power to the sites themselves that contain these illegal matters. But what good comes from stopping one monster then creating another? Last but not least about your comment on economical situation. Just because some people cannot afford games does not mean they are broke and in poverty as you are insinuating. Games are pretty expensive as they add up. Whether they should be cheaper in comparison to development and production is beyond me, I'm no analyst or have looked into it. But I'm not complaining if they would lower the price, its what all consumers want. But I'm not going to try and defend the price of any item because the time that consumers in general do that is the time we might as well just hand it over to corporations.
  • madman725 - January 4, 2012 3:45 p.m.

Yeah, that was probably a little harsh, the economic thing, exaggerated a bit.
  • therawski - January 4, 2012 1:27 p.m.

The "spirit of the bill" is more like an ulterior motive, China has censorship of their internet, which means they have control over what their population sees. Right now we have an economic crisis in our country and it's not because of piracy. The government just wants to control what we see, and what we don't see, so it has more control over dissenters that organize because our government doesn't do anything except incite protests.
  • MetroidPrimeRib - January 4, 2012 3:36 p.m.

What's wrong with piracy? Back in the 1980's what where you going to do if your friend had a NES game you wanted? You'd swap him games, and you wouldn't blame the companies, that's just the way it is. That's considered illegal now, I guess. We only did it because we could. The only argument for piracy I see as plausible is "because I can".
  • madman725 - January 4, 2012 3:40 p.m.

To me, that's not piracy, it's simply an exchange of goods. If that is considered piracy, I would TOTALLY disagree with that.
  • MetroidPrimeRib - January 4, 2012 4:26 p.m.

That is what is considered piracy.
  • therawski - January 4, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Good thing our actions have postponed the hearings for a year, they have plenty of time to change their minds.
  • kevin-wong - January 4, 2012 11:25 a.m.

In all frankness, the ESA can go to hell. We've been betrayed by an organization feigning support for First Amendment protection of our beloved medium, but as it turns out, their support stems only from their commitment to protect their precious profits. The ESA must be purged from the game industry, the ECA has long since backed the interests of independent developers and the true visionaries of this medium, and if we want this medium to survive, we must align with them.
  • festerblatz82 - January 4, 2012 5:46 p.m.

^This. The ESA are a bunch of cunts.