Topics

editorial

• NullG7 - March 11, 2013 9:04 a.m.

This is the reason I was on hold with EA for over an hour the other day waiting to receive service for a different game...
  • sxh967 - March 8, 2013 8:46 a.m.

If they moved everything onto the cloud so that I didn't have to pay for a decent computer to run it, I would give them the benefit of the doubt. But people have to pay for a decent gaming machine and THEN pay for the game which doesn't even work as it should... that's a piss take. The always-online thing is a very bad thing for consumers. Just like others have said - they will just shut down the servers in 2 years max and then we'll all be forced to buy the next game. I hated the fact that they were doing it with games like Fifa but at least with those games you could still play offline with your mates etc. Now it's just a case of you can't play at all. I hope EA does a total exclusivity thing with Microsoft then I can just buy the PS4 and forget about those shitheads ;)
  • bksmilton - March 7, 2013 8:15 p.m.

I didn't have to wait for SimCity to come out to tell you EA was freakin' incompetent! Look at all the outstanding issues with The Sims 3. After YEARS of that game being out, and they still can't pinpoint the half freeze issue? Yeah right. People have to rely on third party fixes to solve their issues because EA is either too lazy, stupid or just don't give a damn! This is nothing new here. Just more of the same old EA. "Forget fixing issues. Lets just make more DLC, sequels and garbage to pump money from the wallets of the consumer" - Somebody somewhere in EA, I'm sure of it.
  • Jennero_Rossi - March 7, 2013 4:46 p.m.

I haven't had anyone these issues except having to log into a Euro server. I really hated that it took and hour to decompress some files before I could even get into the game.
  • Darkwinters - March 7, 2013 1:53 p.m.

So what is going to stop EA in a few years bring out a new SIM CITY and go ''LOOOL New game so we have to shut the servers down'' Just so you HAVE to buy the new game i you want to keep playing.
  • FemJesse - March 7, 2013 2:48 p.m.

You spend 60 hours playing SimCity then your entertainment value is 1 dollar an hour which I don't know about you, but it's pretty cheap for me, considering I pay 50$ a month more for a cable package and don't watch anything near 50 hours of TV a month. You go to a movie and pay 12-15$ for a 2 hour film that's way more costly than the entertainment value of a sandbox style video game. I'm not against having to buy a new game in a few years if this one would just WORK for NOW.
  • christian-shaffer - March 7, 2013 4:39 p.m.

The problem is you should have the option to buy a new game in a few years. It shouldn't be a forced decision.
  • FemJesse - March 8, 2013 12:13 p.m.

I would argue that you should do your own research about the products you want to purchase and then make your decision based on that. You know what you're getting into.
  • Darkwinters - March 8, 2013 4:53 a.m.

Sounds like good value but you see i can still play Sim City 2000. Bet you can not play this game in 5 years time as EA will shut down the servers for the new game. I do hope this get sorted as i want to play >.<
  • FemJesse - March 8, 2013 12:14 p.m.

If I get 1 year of enjoyment out of this game then I will have considered it worth my money. I'm sorry that you don't feel that way, agree to disagree I guess.
  • CrashmanX - March 7, 2013 1:49 p.m.

How do companies not anticipate this shit for Launch week? Like seriously, rent a TON of servers from other companies if you have to even if it's just for a few weeks to compensate for the additional load of Launch week. You do HOW many tests to gauge interest and then when you realize the game is becoming SUPER popular again you drop the ball and fail to prepare servers? Jesus Christ, this is worse than Diablo III launch day.
  • Rowdie - March 7, 2013 9:04 a.m.

EA is EA. I've considered it a negative if EA was involved with a game for more years than I can recall, but they're just too big to totally ignore. Plus they constantly buy great developers. They fought to get their won servers on XBL and at this point I consider that the only issue. I dread that handoff. UGH :(
  • Z-man427 - March 7, 2013 8:31 a.m.

This does suck majorly, but can you really say you didn't see something like this coming? I mean, EA is notorious for screwing their consumers somehow. And Always-On DRM is usually bad for consumers, no matter how stable the servers are. It's kind of the perfect shit-storm. I hope they get the servers fixed soon and/or patch the game to allow an offline singleplayer mode. But I know at least one of those won't happen.
  • Eo1spy - March 7, 2013 6:59 a.m.

This is why there needs to be a proper distinction between single and multiplayer. What is going to happen when EA takes the servers down? You won't be able to play the game anymore. You can still play Simcity 2000 perfectly fine.
  • FoxdenRacing - March 7, 2013 10:30 a.m.

And that's all according to plan. A few clowns are trying to bring 'Planned Obsolescence' to video games, by transitioning from products to services.
  • Eo1spy - March 7, 2013 11:13 a.m.

I hate that direction. If it's the future of gaming then I'm out.
  • sxh967 - March 8, 2013 8:40 a.m.

Me too!
  • KA87 - March 7, 2013 6:27 a.m.

Always on DRM strikes again. When will developers learn not to align themselves with that evil temptress? Have they not noticed the demon spon she sows?
  • CUFCfan616 - March 7, 2013 4:23 a.m.

well this has put me off buying one of my most anticipated games of the year. Well done EA. This reminds me how everyone was up in arms with Valve first announced that you needed an internet connection to authenticate Half Life 2, except not as bad. Of course EA will sweep this under the rug and pretend nothing happened and go back to annual sports games and we'll be left wanting a proper new Sim City. Out of curiousity though, what will happen to the game after they close the servers in a few years time? You won't be able to play it full stop? Most of my most played strategy & simulation games are years old. Rome & Medieval 2 Total War, Civ 4, Sim City 4. All great games that I love playing today. I'd be pissed if I was unable to play them down the line because some joker decided that games need to always be online to play a single player game. Contenders for disappointment of the year so far- Aliens: Colonial Marines and now Sim CIty