• Xeacons - June 8, 2009 3:56 p.m.

Metroid Dead Space Conduit Golden Sun Resident Evil Silent Hill Final Fantasy Sin & Punishment 2 Need I continue? Aside from Wii Sports and Fit, Nintendo didn't even reveal any casual games. Almost nothing but hardcore. Happy now?
  • GamesRadarShanePatterson - June 8, 2009 5:09 a.m.

I don't see how one or two hardcore games over the next year is "enough" to keep hardcore Wii owners happy. Did we all follow the same E3?
  • Xeacons - June 8, 2009 2:52 a.m.

There's no doubt there are few issues that divide gamers more: Nintendo or Nintendon't. A lot of it's the image; a lot of it's bad decisions. As far as this year's E3 goes, Nintendo nailed (almost) every quota GR said it needed to fill to keep up with MS (so close it was spooky). Whether you like Mario or not, there were plenty of hardcore games (can I get a "METROID!") for the next year or so to keep all but the most cynical away from the Wii.
  • disturbedanomaly39 - June 8, 2009 1:58 a.m.

im on your side here,henry, just because they didn't change much of Galaxy does not mean no one will buy it. all halo 2 changed was the facct that you could us elite swords and some other crap and it sold more than halo 1, so why should Galaxy 2 be any differet, sometimes i like mario more than halo anyway, seeeing how i cant afford xbox live any more and i will soon be switching to steam. but still, its hard to tell what will happen with ninty now, i really whant to see them beat the shit out of sony like they did with the N64, the best system ever, it had SM64 and LoZ:OoT and Golden Eye and the first SSB and Perfect Dark and my favorite platformers ever, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie XBLA and nintys virtual console are not enough to satisfy my nostalgia, i want them to make games based o the same standards these were and mabye this game wil bring ninty back to focusing on there hardcore audience like Miyamoto might be tryijng to do mabye
  • deanmiller1234 - June 6, 2009 5:52 a.m.

cool bitch
  • GlassPants - June 5, 2009 9:54 p.m.

I agree Henry, there was a lot to be thankful for in Nintendo's conference. The fact that two major franchise players got lip service in the conference, and then new Zelda confirmed for the future, means that Nintendo hasn't forgotten why SSBM sold so well. And it isn't because it's a great fighting game.
  • PinkLenny - June 5, 2009 7:54 p.m.

Well I commented and agreed with the other article and I would feel a bit like an a**hole if I didn't check out the other side. While this article did make sense, i still cant agree with it. First: "But everyone was so ready to hate another Nintendo conference that it can put a negative spin on anything, which is what I believe happened to some with Galaxy 2." Ok well your other writer had a two page article with detailed points showing exactly how this will be bad, I hardly call that a negative spin. Second: "Is it too close to the previous game? The game is probably coming out in holiday 2010, three years after the first game" I agree with this, it really isn't too close to the other game, and honestly if it is really good, who cares if it comes out 6 months from the original. But once again that wasnt really the point of the other article. It seems like you just took a tiny point made by the other writer that you could refute, even though it wasn't necessarily that big of a thought in the first place. Third: The entire second to last paragraph starting with "And lastly," Ok you cant explain how this game is going to be good by explaining how other games were good. It doesn't work like that. To cap this all off I meant everything I have said in respect, I really just disagree with you.
  • crabbo - June 5, 2009 6:19 p.m.

I'm not particularly sure that I side with either of you (Henry or David). I absolutely love the mario series, and despite how underwhelming Nintendo's E3 conference was, it was really nice to see at least a few core games announced. I'll admit that it won't be revolionary like The original, yet at the same time, I can't help but wonder... Does every game I buy have to be revolutionary? Games like Call of Duty(or basically any other FPS out there) get away with releasing practically the same game on an annual basis, and yet we hype these games far beyond realistic expectations. Yes I liked Gears, and Gears 2, Of course I'm probably going to buy MAG, yes Modern Warfare 2 is on my holiday games radar (pun not intended). So why is Galaxy 2 such a big problem? I completely side with David on certain aspects of the argument, but also completely side with Henry on other aspects. Yes it would be nice to see something new and surprising from nintendo, but for the meantime it is just nice to have something that isn't perpetual shovelware.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - June 5, 2009 5:05 p.m.

David Thanks for the response, those were all really good points. I will admit that after years of a completely different core Mario game every generation that a new one that's "just" a sequel isn't as big. However, what I wanted to get across in my article was to try to be more hopeful for Nintendo's future, as opposed to doom saying. I still think that if Nintendo wanted to shit out something, there are easier ways to go than a full Mario game. Mario Golf, Mario Party 9, New Play Control Luigi's Mansion come to mind. In fact just look at E3's past for underwhelming, barely updates to Mario Strikers and Mario Sluggers to see a real lack of imagination. Call me naive, but I hope that some real new ideas will be added to the core Mario Galaxy, that it will be more like a Yoshi's Island or Majora's Mask than Rainbow Six Vegas 2 or Tony Hawk 5. I still believe in the Nintendo developers to pull out something more than a repeat for something as important as Mario. I really hope I'm right and you're wrong, even if your argument makes some sense.
  • solsunforge - June 5, 2009 2:30 p.m.

David houghton is your avatar sabin from The final fantasy series. Its been so long hmm im gonna say FF3 or 4 the one with kefka perhaps.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - June 5, 2009 9:15 a.m.

Time for a Houghtonian response. Could I be more ludicrously wrong? Why yes I could. For indeed sir, I am ludicrously right. Oh yes. First of all, as I mentioned in my article, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is going to be a bloody good game. No doubt about that. I'll play it and I'll love it. I know I will. But it's the wider context of the game that's the problem. As you admit, Nintendo's conference was filled with re-shown games and not much in the way of the new, outside of stuff for the young girl/old lady market. And it was bloody miserable to see them pad out so much of it with games we've known about for a deathly long time, particularly ones they themselves aren't even responsible for. All of that gave me the resounding impression that Nintendo are now coasting on the financial success of their hardware sales, with only a cursory regard for games. After all, the Wii is famously about the only console to make a profit off just the actual console rather the games and licensing, and it's well known that the vast majority of Wii owners buy barely any software whatsoever. That in mind, it just looks to me that Ninty are relying on sales of Wiis and peripherals above all else, banging out the gimmicks and casual pap to keep the fad buyers stimulated (and avoid their defection to MS and Sony's new hardware), and farting out the bare minimum it needs to to keep the hardcore dangling. After all, if we're still desperate to buy discs, they might as well make a buck on the side for a while. Yeah, Metroid looks like a very interesting prospect, but let's not forget that it's actually being farmed out to another dev. And as for the minimal progression in Mario games not being anything new, "Pah!", says I. Yeah, The Lost Levels took the same basic model as SMB. with a couple of extra elements and just made it hard as nails, but that was back in the mid-'80s. Nintendo (and the industry) has progressed massively since those archaic days. SMB. 3 was a design revolution in terms of 2D platforming. Super Mario World, while not able to been quite the same leap, still made loads of ground in innovation, both in design complexity and the use of technology (Mode 7 FTW!). Super Mario 64 I don't need to go into. Super Mario Sunshine, while not as fun as 64, totally changed the whole gameplay dynamic with the inclusion of the FLUDD mechanics. Galaxy was the new Super Mario Bros. 3 in terms of being a design leap. In Galaxy 2, we so far look to have a swift rejuggle with a couple of new power-ups. And no, riding Yoshi doesn't count as exciting as far as I'm concerned. The idea has been around for 17 years, and controlling him in 3D in Sunshine was rubbish. So all things considered, yes, I do still feel that Galaxy 2 is a symptom of a lack of effort rather than a cure to it. And incidentally, I always find it odd when people use TP as an example of Zelda's lack of development. It was actually the first one in years I found HAD evolved. I was bored senseless of having had the same game re-skinned so many times, and I'll fully admit that on paper Twilight Princess is the same, but in practice I found that the new richness of world, character, atmosphere and story (actual emotion and believable people in a Zelda game? Egad!) made it feel completely different to any that had gone before. And let's not forget the Wolf/spirit world/scent trail mechanics either. But let's not get onto Zelda until they unveil what should be the amazing, Wii-dedicated follow-up. Anyway, as I seem to have used up my quota of words for this month, I shall be away. Good rebuttal, Mr. Gilbert. I thank you for your response sir, and I hope we get to do more of this sort of thing in the future.
  • AyJay - June 5, 2009 7:16 a.m.

i hope you were being sarcastic when you said that punchout wii and loz twilight princess were crappy games
  • GamesRadarShanePatterson - June 5, 2009 7:07 a.m.

Not to fuel any fire, but I side with Mr. Houghton. And it's nothing against Henry or Mario (I love both of 'em!) My gripe is that every Mario sequel - whether it's on the same system or newer generation of system - has demonstrated either a leap technologically or in aesthetic. The Mario Galaxy 2 trailer looks like the same game with new power-ups. That doesn't sound terribly engaging. That seems like Mario but with Yoshi now. But still in space and still with the same graphical style. Condemn me all you want but I do think the Wii isn't for hardcore gamers. It's not for us. This press conference continued to cement that idea and showing two new Mario games - which appear to be rehashes of older games - isn't going to do anything to restore my faith in a system that was designed to bring in a larger consumer base. Mario Galaxy 2 looks like Mario Galaxy 1 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a remake of a DS game, which was a remake of an NES game. Do they look fun? Hell yes. Do they look like Nintendo's trying to cater to the fans? No, they look like tired attempts to appease people who live and die by what Nintendo does, no matter how frustrating it seems. I don't think it's a death knell for the system because they obviously don't need my Galaxy 2 money if they're making bank off Wii Fit Plus.
  • Samael - June 5, 2009 5:23 a.m.

I'm sorry but I've never liked David Houghton's stuff at all. He writes far more negative/pessimistic articles than anybody else on the site. I suppose I'm a bit biased (I vastly prefer the U.S editors) but still...
  • solidocelot - June 5, 2009 3:56 a.m.

@ NorwegianKingOfNames can you change my name to ness's bat of awesomeness or something 'cause i can't find a pic of ocelot with snake's amputated beard
  • PS360Rulez - June 5, 2009 3:26 a.m.

somerandomchap I am so confused by your statement. You own a wii which is sad all by its self and yet you dont get exited about Mario games? Pardon my asking but what the fuck do you own a wii for if its not to throw money at their whore mario whom they trot out every couple years to bring in some much needed cash?
  • Vagrant - June 5, 2009 2:35 a.m.

Again, lol at the fanboys. Also Houghton for the win. Sorry MF Gilbert. But he couldn't be more right. Aand I hate Mario Lopez too.
  • Defguru7777 - June 5, 2009 1:53 a.m.

I really disagree with your statement that Wind Waker sucked. But I'm glad at least one GR staffer is excited for Golden Sun DS.
  • Amnesiac - June 5, 2009 12:56 a.m.

@RonnyLive: if you hate this site so much then go away. No one wants to hear your whining.
  • GamesRadarShanePatterson - June 4, 2009 11:51 p.m.

Mr. Sony and Mr. M.Soft gave me a million dollars to say Mario sucks. I'm rich.