• TizonKolo - June 18, 2014 8:35 p.m.

Nothing in this is a deep secret, in fact, if you actually play ANY of the games normally you can find out most of this right away. Other "secrets" are common knowledge, I mean, you probably won't run into Pokerus, but most everyone knows about it. Freaking, the fact that a normal Pikachu is yellow is a bigger secret than anything in this article. Just from reading this I honestly feel like this website was created, and is run by a group of people who have never touched a video game in their life. .5/10 would not read again. Brogers unite, Shrek is love; Shrek is life. Shrek is not Drek. Down with Farquad.
  • TheFortitudo - July 15, 2014 5:57 p.m.

I learned about the Pokerus when I was little from youtube. I encountered this several years after on Pokemon Emerald and was very happy. until the internal battery died the day after. :(
  • Kaosorer - April 5, 2014 10:51 p.m.

I feel so successful that I know all this stuff, just don't EXACTLY know how IV's work. I'm quite sure Red's Pikachu is a perfect IV and EV pokemon. With some sort of special item that does something insane most probably. HOW WAS THAT POKEMON FASTER THAN MY TOGEKISS?!
  • Flashinthepan - November 13, 2013 1:31 p.m.

If you train to pokemon competitively, is it possible to spend your time doing other things as well? Mastering Pokestats seems like a great way to suck the fun out of a game, but I naturally turn my OCD off when I play RPGs.. My gaming perfection lies in speed runs and endurance modes for platforming games,
  • JoeYoung2014 - November 20, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Of course. The trick is to only concentrate breeding one particular species of perfect Pokemon. Once you have them, breeding more is a cinch! Simply trade away your perfect Pokemon to other players for perfect Pokemon of other species! EV training and movesets are relatively easy to set up afterwards, and don't take a long time. Breeding can be the biggest time sink.
  • Y2Ken - November 6, 2013 1:46 a.m.

I was familiar with all this stuff, but for a lot of players there's a bunch of super useful information in here. If you're fairly new, then Bulbapedia is a fantastic resource for players - and if you want to get into competitive stuff, Smogon is probably the place to go for stuff like builds and Pokémon tier lists. Personally I'll always be a campaign guy rather than PvP myself. But their stuff is still useful to me.
  • san0ake - November 5, 2013 9:09 p.m.

I've been searching like crazy for that chart in the 4th slide with all the natures in both English and Japanese. Would you mind sharing a link??
  • san0ake - November 5, 2013 9:11 p.m.

Never mind, just found it^^
  • robert-altergott - November 5, 2013 5:15 p.m.

I believe i discovered yet another Pokemon Philosophy, maybe, just maybe, that a Gengar is actually and evil Clefable, after all, they do look an awful lot alike, when i first started playing pokemon, pokemon pearl, i saw a shadow of a pokemon from a wild encounter, i thought it was a gengar at first and i was all excited and stuff, for 3 seconds; it turned out it was just clefable, and i was a little bit ticked off at that, i wanted gengar before i got to snowbelle city near the end of the game, so i stupidly threw my ds across the room cursing, but when i picked it up, the clefable had turned into a gengar, very scary for me at the time but awesome too, untill i learned that it had all of clefable's moves and i cursed after i caught it; stupid but true story
  • pl4y4h - November 5, 2013 4:18 p.m.

Good thing i don't care about any of that stat stuff. I play pokemon to have fun, not be grind for eggs or values which sounds like the complete opposite.
  • winner2 - November 5, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Dear god the PUNS
  • Frieza - November 5, 2013 7:28 a.m.

Feels good that I knew everything on this list. For hardcore Pokemon fans this is common knowledge, but still. But with all this stuff in mind, it kinda ruins the experience of Pokemon. I'm referring to Effort Values, Individual Values, and Natures specifically. When you know these things drastically change the strength and performance of your Pokemon, you're always searching for the Pokemon with these things. It takes the wonder out of the game because you're always searching for that perfect Pokemon, and training it perfectly by restricting what it can and cannot battle. This adds a lot of unnecessary and, dare I say it, grueling hours to gameplay, and turns your Pokemon into numbers instead of just... well, Pokemon. I know all that stuff is there for a reason, but the thought that my Pokemon are being trained incorrectly and can't reach their full potential is always clawing at the back of my mind. Sometimes I wish I can just forget it all... It's times like these when I wish I can go back to my childhood and none of this stuff existed.
  • JarkayColt - November 5, 2013 9:18 a.m.

Whenever I play through a Pokémon games, EVs, IVs, Natures...all of that gets forgotten. I couldn't care less if the starter I picked only has 20 as its highest IV or if my Pokémon ends up with even EV distribution because I'm KO'ing anything and everything. I enjoy the game wiithout fussing over those things until I've beaten it. That's when I can focus on making a team to challenge people with, to extend my enjoyment of the game. Also, the more recent games are making it easier and easier to get a couple decent IVs and to train your Pokémon, so people can still "casually" attempt competitively viable Pokémon without getting way too deep into it. The generation I enjoyed the most was gen 4. Why? Because that's WHEN I found out about all that stuff!
  • J-Fid - November 5, 2013 10:27 a.m.

Your entire comment applies to me. Just wanted to let you know.
  • Frieza - November 5, 2013 4:42 p.m.

Some people have a hard time separating the competitive side of the games from the casual side, like me. It just feels so wrong to have a Pokemon with a bad EV spread because they arn't at maximum. And I want my Pokemon to be maximum or I'll feel inferior because I use my Pokemon to compensate for my small penis! I haven't played X and Y yet, but Im looking forward to the ease in EV training. Is taking EVs away as easy as giving them?
  • JarkayColt - November 6, 2013 5:14 a.m.

I was taking you seriously until the compensation gag, lawls XD But honestly, you have to resign yourself to the fact that most of the Pokémon you catch during a playthrough are going to suck. They'll have a bad Nature or so-so IVs. You can only really control that by breeding, and I don't want to waste time breeding and training a party I'm just wanting to use in the story; I'll have plenty of time for that later once the E4 is done with. Look at BW2. You can't even use the Daycare until you're the Champion, they should do that more often! XD But my advice to anyone that struggles to look past IVs and stuff; do a Nuzlocke with as many self-imposed rules as possible. Doesn't matter what game (I did one on Ruby); you just come to accept anything and make the most of it. I ended up with two Linoones, neither was particularly great, but I was genuinely upset when one of them "died". XD And in X and Y, you still have access to the EV reducing berries (e.g. Pomeg) and can plant as many as you please; berry farming in X and Y is better than ever, so if you have a couple of rogue EVs you can still use those berries to remove them. Aside from that, if you want a completely clean slate, if you use Super Training you'll occasionally receive a "Reset Bag", which will wipe all of your Pokémon's EVs entirely when used. But whether or not you find one is kind of randomised, so they're good to kind of horde for when you actually need it. Another bonus, is that with Super Training, every Stat is capped at 252 EVs, so you can't overshoot and accidentally reach 255 (so no waste).
  • JarkayColt - November 5, 2013 4:55 a.m.

Nice list. It's probably worth mentioning that from HeratGold and SoulSilver onwards, the status screen actually shows you which Stat is being increased or descreased by your Nature so you don't have to memorise them or keep looking it up. I think the one shaded with red is increased and the one shaded in blue is decreased. The "neutral" Natures are effectively increasing and decreasing the same Stat, which is why there are 5 of them. Also, Pokérus doubles EVs, specifically. There's one piece of misinformation on here though in terms of breeding IVs: "it’s possible for five of them to be perfect". That's wrong because it's always possible for all 6 to be perfect. If you breed two Pokémon with 5 31s using the Destiny Knot, the game may select 5 of those existing 31s, and the final IV can still be 31 at random. It sounds unlikely but it's not unheard of now. 5 or 6 perfect IVs used to seem totally unthinkable but it's actually kind of reasonable if you have the patience (generally speaking I tend to get 4 perfects now, which is more than enough.) But yeah, basically you can pass on up to 5 IVs from the parents using the Destiny Knot (3 by defaut) but all 6 can still be perfect either way. Oh, and Rare Candies don't "lower" Effort Values so to speak. If you've fully EV trained a Pokémon you can go crazy with Rare Candies if you want. All it does is force a level up. In fact, it's no longer a problem if you DO candy your Pokémon to level 100, because level 100 Pokémon can still gain and lose EVs. I think this came into effect as of Black and White, because stats are adjusted at the end of a battle rather than on level up (which is why you don't see crazy +20s and things any more.) And whilst Shinies aren't inherently "better" Pokémon, by using the Masuda method you can at least attempt to breed one that is. Also, if you catch a Shiny with the Poké Radar once reaching 40 it has two random 31s like the Friend Safari. I don't know what specific number in the chain the 2 31s start appearing, though, but it's definitely not before 25, whilst anything on or after 40 will, at least.
  • C.King - November 5, 2013 8:46 a.m.

poke radar seems to be your thing but i can't seem to find any suitable patches of grass, they're all to small or thin
  • JarkayColt - November 5, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Yep, that's why it's so hard to chain in X and Y. The basic mechanics are the same as DPPt but all the grass patches are tiny by comparison. Route 214 had an excellent patch for example, but most of the routes had at least one patch that was big enough to accommodate all the potential tile rings. I started exploring Kalos and wanted to make a list of the best chaining spots. So far, that list is barren. THEY ALLLLLLLL SUCK! ...besides the rectangular purple flower patch on Route 5. That's the only patch that seems acceptable by previous DPPt standards and the only one I've actually had any success with. I got up to about 30 Tauros in that poxy patch just outside the ranch place with all the Skiddo on route whatever-it-is but that's not good enough.
  • SpadesSlick - November 4, 2013 11:29 p.m.

I've gotten pokerus myself not once, but twice. Including in X and Y my first day. My luck with shinies sucks though. I have only ever gotten a single one, and that was a chain fished Relicanth. And i've put in at least 200 hours a game since red and blue.