Topics

GR turns 5

• Y2Ken - April 9, 2011 7:47 a.m.

I personally prefer pretty much all those "controversial exclusions" to Portal. Portal was good, but I only wanted to play it once and I was done. I enjoyed it from a technical perspective though.
  • yesIusetheM14 - April 9, 2011 6:48 a.m.

Hmmmm... Portal as number 1? Really, I'm undecided about that. Portal is an awesome game and will be a classic years from now, and it spawned some of the most beloved characters of all time (GLaDOS, Companion Cube). On the other hand, It just doesn't seem right to put it as #1 when you put it up against Mario and Zelda. All are really great and really fun to play, but for some reason it feels wierd saying portal is my #1 favorite game of all time, while at the same time it feels wierd saying it isn't my favorite game. It's one of those things you REALLY need to think about. Also, where is Spyro? The third game (Year of the Dragon) was literally my childhood from age six to age ten... and I'm fifteen. Even now, my old Playstation is still plugged in to my T.V. with the game in it, and I play it whenever Black Ops gets too slow-paced for me.
  • Vincemaster - April 9, 2011 6:42 a.m.

Cool, I enjoyed the list mostly. But I still stand that Portal is objectively, undeniably, absolutely, NOT the best game of all time. No way. Don't get me wrong, I love Portal, but it is not the best game of all time.
  • TheManTheMythTheCountryKerzikstan - April 9, 2011 6:21 a.m.

Thanks for the great article! But why cant people realize when you make a list like this your not actually declaring a law and just giving an opinion. Calm down fanboys! If your so sad about Portal beating your favorite game make your own top 100... Which nobody will read btw because you suck.
  • Shinespark428 - April 9, 2011 6:09 a.m.

Wooo! Nintendo ftw! Still though, I'm LONG over Portal, but I still obsess (that's not too much of an exaggeration) over Metroid Prime. What games since have managed to create massive, detailed levels, with their own environment, weather, and a crazy amount of secrets? Almost none. Seriously, I still nearly tear up over the sight of rain an lightning on Talon IV's Overworld.....seriously, people don't care about the level design or little details anymore, which is precisely what made Metroid Prime so great. Also, Portal #1? NO. #1 means as close to perfect as a game can come. As in, it's constant gamer euphoria to play. Portal was consistantly fun, but it NEVER got THAT good. Also, when Ocarina of Time ended, you genuinely felt it was one of the greatest games you've played in your life, and it spent 40 or so hours earning that. Portal is over in about 6-8 hours. Also, you'll be reevaluating how "perfect" Portal 1 was when Portal 2 (a "full length" game) comes out. Portal 2 will show you that Portal 1 wasn't perfect much like Mass Effect 2 proved Mass Effect 1 wasn't.
  • CurryIsGood - April 9, 2011 6:04 a.m.

but where oh where has my Red Alert 3 gone? at least put it on the list........
  • quincytheodore - April 9, 2011 5:40 a.m.

You actually read comments?? Aww, that's so sweet.. Persona 4 got complaints? That's wrong.. and I still think Portal is not #1 material. It's good, I like it, I fell in love with GLaDOS, but not#1.
  • shawksta - April 9, 2011 5:35 a.m.

Awesome, especially with the Chart showing the other games that shouldve been mentioned. Its GR's opinion so leave it at that, no need to whine but people HAVE to whine. I loved Twilight princess, My only complaint is the new zelda "Fans" who think they know everything about a zelda game just by this one and bash the rest of them for *COUGH*Realistic*COUGH* Brainless zombies..... "The best would be whatever game is owned and/or played by the most people" If thats the case, 3-4 call of Duty games would be here and That would be biased XD
  • chrisat928 - April 9, 2011 5:31 a.m.

@nbamike That's some terrible logic.
  • nbamike - April 9, 2011 5:22 a.m.

At least say Portal is your "favorite game of all time" because there is no way it's the best. The best would be whatever game is owned and/or played by the most people. Now that could be Portal but you'd need some sort of proof. Do a test, ask some people, but don't just claim it's the "best".
  • Ultima - April 9, 2011 5:08 a.m.

Does nobody love Ultima's 6 & 7 as much as I do? *sniff* *weeps*....
  • austincharlesbond - April 9, 2011 4:55 a.m.

still angry about Metroid Prime...
  • Smashez - April 9, 2011 4:52 a.m.

No, you are wrong my opinion is the correct one
  • juicenpancakes - April 9, 2011 4:50 a.m.

Great use of "thrice." Please continue to spread the word of Conan.
  • metroid2099400 - April 9, 2011 4:21 a.m.

Though I did miss Metroid Prime and The Secret of Monkey Island on the list, I still respect your choices, guys. I certainly agree that Twilight Princess deserves a place over OoT, as well. Time for me to get the Gamecube version, I think.
  • kyle94 - April 9, 2011 4:21 a.m.

If you go by what game I've enjoyed most and replayed most, then my choice for number one would be a tie between Secret of Monkey Island and Deus Ex. I liked Portal, but not enough to call it the best videogame of all time. However, to each their own. I should know. #3 on my list of the best games ever would be "Random collection of strategy games by Paradox". I have put more hours into Victoria 2 alone than almost any other video game.
  • FunkyPickle - April 9, 2011 4:04 a.m.

@BigKingBud Yep, I got a big GTA vibe from Super Mario Galaxy 2. Dozens of hooker bodies are currently floating in the cosmos.
  • BladedFalcon - April 9, 2011 4:04 a.m.

I haven't played portal (I know, shame on me, right.) So i can't comment about it. However, I AM glad that they excluded both Ocarina of Time, and Final fantasy VII. To begin with, they stated since the beginning that they were talking about games that STILL held up today, and I'm sorry, neither of those two do. Furthermore, as defining and popular as they may be, both are way distorted thanks to nostalgia goggles. And yes, i played them both back when they came out, and yes, I liked them, but I don't consider them to be the fucking sacred gems most wail them to be. Overall, i really liked GR's list, in the games that they included, if not necessarily the order. i do believe MGS is way too low, but that's my main complain, really.
  • kingsmikefan - April 9, 2011 4:01 a.m.

"I love how all"
  • kingsmikefan - April 9, 2011 3:55 a.m.

I loe how al of these commenters state their opinions like they're facts. I disagree with this list (oh, man do I disagree), but I'm not gonna bitch to them. If you guys want your games up there...make one in the forums?