• GarcianSmith - April 10, 2013 1:48 p.m.

Great article! I just about fucking love this game in all the ways legally possible. Oh, I don't know if anyone's seen this (link to my own personal Kinja blog, because I am a whore): http://danentwistle.kinja.com/news-on-bioshock-infinites-dlc-incoming-472183318 Steam's displaying "DLCA Placeholder" achievements when you view global stats. Could this mean DLC is imminent? Probably.
  • BladedFalcon - April 10, 2013 12:34 p.m.

Nice details, though at first, I thought the article would also focus on some of the direct callbacks or connections to the first Bioshock. Such as the Songbird posters in Bioshock, as well as the fact that the wrench Elizabeth uses to clock Booker in the face is the exact same one that Jack uses as a weapon for the first bioshock XD
  • Fox_Mulder - April 10, 2013 12:48 p.m.

I noticed Elizabeth's wrench too, but not the Songbird poster. Good eye!
  • Bloodstorm - April 10, 2013 2:40 p.m.

Songbird posters?
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - April 10, 2013 3:41 p.m.

The songbird posters in rapture are advertising some sort of singing night. Not the songbird from infinite by any stretch of the imagination. It is a neat call out though. Don't even get me started on the songbird death cries heard in bio 1
  • Bloodstorm - April 10, 2013 3:51 p.m.

I saw that. Think it's a stretch. They only sound similar if you don't listen to them back to back.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - April 10, 2013 3:53 p.m.

It is a stretch. I know irrational has done some great things with stories in the bioshock games but to have the foresight to plant infinite references in bioshock 1? Nope.
  • Bloodstorm - April 10, 2013 4:48 p.m.

Some people give writer too much credit. They think "I can't believe they had this planned out since Bioshock" when the more likely scenario is that they manipulated thing sin Bioshock Infinite to reference back to what was otherwise just unimportant ambiance that now suddenly has meaning.
  • BladedFalcon - April 11, 2013 8:44 a.m.

While that's the most probable thing that happened, it's still cool that they did it, I think. And it's even cooler in the sens that, far as I know, that cry isn't heard in any other point of Bioshock, which like it or not, it makes it feel far more intentional than not.
  • wiitard07 - April 10, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Booker's AD is also a parallel to subject Delta's triangle marking on the back of his glove. You can draw a lot of parallels between Zachary Comstock and Sophia Lamb a well!
  • Person5 - April 11, 2013 11:05 a.m.

.....We like to pretend that that game didn't happen.
  • Meleedragon27 - April 11, 2013 4:42 p.m.

Aw, come on... Bioshock 2 wasn't *that* bad. Yeah, the story was horribly inferior to the original (though I give the developers credit for trying, and it definitely feels like they were at least TRYING to make it good - Bioshock's story was a tough act to follow, after all) and setpieces were nowhere near as interesting as the first game's, but I personally thought the gameplay mechanics were greatly improved. The dual-wielding made plasmid use much more viable, and the plasmids themselves were much more useful in 2 - I found myself using the things frequently in 2, whereas I barely even touched upon them in the first game. I also liked how Tonics were handled in the sequel, where they were no longer limited to specific categories, meaning you can beef up on specific Tonics more easily. Lastly, I found money to be my bestest friend as Subject Delta; I was constantly on the lookout for vending machines to refill my ammo and maxing out my oft-depleted supplies in comparison to the first game where supplies are relatively easy to find and special ammo types were usually restricted to those irritating U-Invent machines that called for annoyingly hard-to-find building materials. And those are just the gameplay improvements I can remember off-hand. So, I know Bioshock 2 wasn't fantastic and overall can't hold a candle to the first game, but I do feel that the game was still pretty entertaining in its own right (especially when it came to gameplay) and doesn't deserve the "damnatio memoriae" it occasionally gets.
  • trey-johnson - April 12, 2013 7:30 a.m.

plus, the story may not have been great in bioshock 2, but minerva's den, come on, that story was brilliant, and the plasmids/weapons only further improved :)
  • Ultimadrago - April 19, 2013 9:45 a.m.

It also has a much better final act than the original Bioshock. Minerva's Den does personal story telling better than Infinite or the original Bioshock. Security puzzles are handled better and the audio logs do just as swell a job of collecting pieces of the world as did those in Bioshock. Voxophones did a much worse job and only focused on a very limited set of people. The original story is not even horribly inferior to the original. The scale is simply "smaller". It creates for a more personal story rather than one dipped in Objectivism (which is already introduced to the player at this point assuming they played Bioshock 1). The world is further searched and explained, as were its inhabitants and ideals. The largest issue with Bioshock 2 is the ham-fisted binary morality system which makes for awkward takes on a largely ambiguous society. But Bioshock 1 falls the same fate (as both have "Good" and "Evil" endings. This is something only Bioshock Infinite fixes. Bioshock 2 hold more than a few candles to the first AND Infinite. But I'd agree it isn't fantastic. The online was unnecessary to say the least. However, I'm a bit tired of it being ignored or thrown casually when it DID improve on Bioshock 1 through more avenues than one.