• taokaka - April 2, 2013 10:08 p.m.

On the whole I agree with what this article is saying (mostly, I'll get to what I disagree with in a bit) but I honestly thought bioshock Infinite was a tad disappointing. Before I talk about what I didn't like, I first must say the setting was near perfect, Columbia was a blast to look at and explore, the skylines were great, the combat was fantastic and lastly the sniper, I don't think I need to explain what makes the sniper in this game so amazing. What I didn't like was firstly the trailers fed me lies regarding Elizabeth and the songbird, I believed that Elizabeth would be a bit more innocent, sweet, quirky, childish and on the whole more likeable. I didn't not like her, she just didn't really connect with me as much as I thought she could because she just seemed a bit dull and too serious half of the time. As such I didn't really draw much of an emotional response from her, and seeing as she was meant to be the fulcrum of most emotional scenes I ended up feeling more upset whenever I ran out of ammo for my sniper than at any other point in the game. The rest of the characters were a bit of a mix, Booker, the Lucete twins and Comstock played their parts well throughout the story but important characters like Daisy Fitzroy and Cornelius Slate felt undercooked. Another issue I had with the game was the songbird, the trailers made me think it'd play a much larger role where he was to impose a constant ominous threat over Booker and Elizabeth but instead gives up until the last hour of the game. However none of this compares to the crushing disappointment which was the overly pretentious ending. The article was good but I kind of slightly disagree with "Make a complete game, not a trilogy component". I'm going to use mass effect as an example for this, the series as a whole is undoubtedly one of the best series in gaming and each of the games on their own are some of the best of this generation. However each game is most certainly a component of a trilogy but they work together so well that the final trilogy is much more grand and spectacular than any single game could ever hope to be. On the whole I think the message you're suggesting would ultimately lead us to a better gaming landscape as a whole but would rob us of spectacular sagas like mass effect.
  • Hobogonigal - April 2, 2013 11:34 p.m.

Preferring the hand cannon magnum myself over the sniper rifle. I'll reply with either an agreeing response or an argument as soon as I manage to finish this damn game!!!
  • taokaka - April 3, 2013 1:14 a.m.

the hand cannon was amazing, whenever I ran out of ammo for the sniper I'd pick up the hand cannon or as I like to call it the scopeless sniper with a larger magazine size.
  • SDHoneymonster - April 4, 2013 9:15 a.m.

Disagree with you about Elizabeth - I actually found it quite refreshing she wasn't some innocent child, as that's what I was expecting - I liked the fact she could think for an handle herself, but there were still flashes of childish excitement, like when she hears the music on the beach. Otherwise, think what you say is pretty spot on - Songbird was a huge disappointment; barely explained and it hardly showed up, but to be fair, whenever it did it tended to be a highlight. The characters too, aside from perhaps the Luteces, aren't as interesting as Ryan, Cohen and Tenenbaum for me. I loved the ending personally - much better than Bioshock's awful boss fight and subsequent abrupt cutscene, although I know some people are going to slag it off for being pretentious and whatnot. Screw them - I LOVE PRETENTIOUS AND WHATNOT.
  • pl4y4h - April 2, 2013 9:31 p.m.

Lesson 9: Make a mid boss and its two other appearance so hard that you dread playing 1999 mode for the fear of facing it again
  • Redeater - April 2, 2013 11:32 p.m.

Man I'll never understand gamers. They'll complain about a boss fight being too lame (Bioshock), or too easy (Deus Ex:HR) or too hard (B:I)!!?? Seriously though, you will probably have and easier time on 1999. You'll know whats ahead. Just remember rockets and volley guns are your friend.
  • pl4y4h - April 3, 2013 7 p.m.

i didn't think the boss in the first bioshock was lame. It was a tough but manageable fight personally
  • winner2 - April 3, 2013 5:51 a.m.

You're talking about handyman right? Seriously, those guys are dicks.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 3, 2013 10:32 a.m.

1999 mode was a blast--far more fun than normal or hard mode. If you mean the Handyman, just don't your guns. Devil's Kiss and Undertow's charge ability are your best friends.
  • pl4y4h - April 3, 2013 6:59 p.m.

I was talking the Siren, she really sucks. Handymen are easy especially with rails around, just fly and wait for him to say "Get down here" and shoot him when he's hanging on the rails.
  • nomnomdinosaur - April 2, 2013 8:50 p.m.

All AAA devs should read this, big thumbs up to David Houghton and GamesRadar
  • JnRx - April 2, 2013 6:40 p.m.

I have a couple issues with this list. 1) You said there isn't much hand holding but if I remember correctly, the game was still telling me how to play mid game, later on in the game. 2) On number 8 you spelled "the", "hte" in the 2nd paragraph. But over all good article.
  • Redeater - April 2, 2013 7:50 p.m.

There is an option to turn that off. Not being sarcastic, I'm just letting you know for next time.
  • codystovall - April 2, 2013 5:55 p.m.

Infinite taught me that ken levines trailers were lies and the game we got was mediocre.
  • joe-brookes - April 2, 2013 5:11 p.m.

Most disappointing game to come along in a long time. With Less exploration, Less customization and Less experimentation only Infinite's presentation truly soars. I loved the setting but the plot did little with it, rather than focusing on Comstock and Daisy we get ton's of dialog from Elizabeth, a totally uninteresting C grade Disney princess. Waves of badguys who hardly vary besides a change of clothes now and then. It's not hard to make an AI helpful when she can't take damage and enemy's ignore her, she's most just used as a switch for things that could have be done by the player instead or as a item dispenser. Yeah chuck stuff out from time to time but come up with a decent replacement, I give a million Invulnerable AI's for combat that's less of a slog and a more developed villain.
  • Redeater - April 2, 2013 5:36 p.m.

"Rather than focusing on Comstock" * Mild spoiler You do realize how much this game is the focus of Comstock right? No, seriously.....did you skip all the recordings, plug your ears and shut your eyes at every little bit of information they gave you? Elizabeth may have been the star but Comstock was explored rather thoroughly by the end. I'm willing to listen to reasonable arguments but saying Elizabeth was a C grade Disney princess puts you in the same camp as those people who thought something like Animal Farm was just a story about greedy pigs. Kotaku has a great article on the complexities of SONGBIRD. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
  • winner2 - April 2, 2013 5:50 p.m.

Ok. If this one is bad, what kind of great game would you compare it to in order to help illustrate your points?
  • BladedFalcon - April 2, 2013 5:55 p.m.

I know know that everyone has a different opinion, and that's fine, but this rant here honestly sounds like the kind of closed minded kind of talk someone makes when they are hellbent in hating something no matter what it does. Less Exploration? are you seriously suggesting that the first Bioshock offered more in this regard? Of course, neither game is open ended, and they've never meant to be such, but compared to 90% of the rest of the shooters out there, the levels are still varied and open enough and give plenty of incentives to explore every nook and cranny, and so far I've found myself scouring trough a place far more than I did back with the original Bioshock. Same with customization and exploration... won't claim they are significantly better in this game, but the equipment and vigors and their uses are pretty much on par with the first bioshock's tonic and plasmids. Also... saying that Elizabeth is uninteresting and comparable to a Disney princess tells me that either you didn't really play the game, or you haven't watched Disney movies. Regardless of what you think about the character, how exactly is Uninteresting to see someone that during the journey of the game exhibits all kinds of emotions from joy to anger to fear to disspointment, is smart enough to figure things on her own, and even though she's was raised captive during her entire life, she's more than capable to outsmart even the player? Badguys never vary? I'm sorry, have you not met the firemen, the crows, the patriots, the handymen or the sirens? this is the point in which I'm starting to question if you even played the game in the first place... Also, are you seriously complaining about an AI partner that you don't have to babysit?
  • Redeater - April 2, 2013 6:22 p.m.

I'm beginning to think this is an April Fools day post one day too late. No one is this thick are they? I think that Comstock tidbit is proof that he either didn't understand anything in the game......or he is just trolling. Please lord......let it be the latter.
  • Fox_Mulder - April 2, 2013 11:20 p.m.

Here are my gripes with Infinite, of which there are few. 1. I wanted more Songbird. His (her) and Elizabeth's relationship was so intriguing to me going in. Maybe just 1 or 2 more encounters with Songbird, even with a battle with him where you pump all your ammo and salts into him and it ends with him kicking your ass and moving on. 2. I wanted more skylines, only because the mechanics were so great and fine-tuned and the skyline added a whole new avenue to the combat sandbox. 3. I wanted it to be longer. A lot of people have been saying some sections felt padded, but it all made sense story-wise. Even in GR's review, one of the drawbacks was "that it ends" and I agree, but that's what the DLC is for right?? 4. I also wanted more Boys of Silence, and more Handymen. I get the Siren's scarcity because it's has everything to do with the story, and plus you fight her many times. (dreading her on 1999) All minor gripes I know, and they don't lessen my score for the game, (except that we don't see enough of Songbird) but it's still a 5/5 for me. Such a f***ing incredible game I can't believe it exceeded my expectations.
  • Fox_Mulder - April 2, 2013 11:28 p.m.

Comstock was incredibly developed. He created Columbia. There's a ton of development there. I loved Elizabeth, she was so multi-dimensional (no pun intended) and I cared about her every second, not to mention that she was one of the best tag-along characters to run with. No babysitting, she helps you out a shit-ton, and she's my top female character in videogames, (Alyx is second) and in my top 5 for best characters ever. There was TONS more experimentation, with only two weapons at a time, random gear drops which you can change at anytime unlike tonics which you have to find a gene bank to change, much larger environments which make make BioShock look like an incredibly linear, claustrophobic game, skylines add a whole new element to combat and the vigors are varied and all very useful. I rest my case.
  • shawksta - April 2, 2013 5:02 p.m.

Also, know guys that there are games that are short that tend to be unsatisfying that makes you want more. But there are also games who are short but have very satisfying ends and on some cases, every single minute of it is great, Like Vanquish and Maybe Bioshock Infinite, i cant say as i havent started it yet but still case in point, just because its short doesnt mean it cant be satisfying