• Rutter - May 13, 2009 6:23 p.m.

Rant time! But only because i liked Bioshock so much. The story mode beats most films, let alone games. Unlike films it's also interactive- there are multiple endings and you have to make your own choices. You really didn't know if you were making the right choice rescuing all of the little sisters. The whole game is fantastic.... apart from ***SPOILERS*** the last hour, which is just a minor blip. Protecting the little sister, while frantic, was very repetitive and annoying. The 2 endings of the game were pretty poor as well, though they did tie up things nicely. However, BS2 is taking the last hour of BS as its source material. How long before gamers get sick of protecting their little sister ALL THE ****ING TIME? Not long. And how are you supposed to be scared of what lurks in the shadows when you have a massive drill?? I also dont like the fact that you are a "special" big daddy. Why is telenbaum talking to you? Are you suddenly able to think rationally? The only reason i can see this storyline being used is to sell money to kids who want to play as a BIG DADDY. The now feral splicers arent human enough for you to sympasise with them, battles with the big sister are going to be HEAVILY scripted, and the element of fear is now gone. Bearing in mind that the game is now missing its two most interesting characters, I thought 2K were going to do something entirely new and different, be it a brand new game, prequel, or set many years later, with the city in ruins. But what they are giving us is something none of us actually want- more of the same, minus the story, emotion and originality. Rant over!
  • pimlicosound - May 13, 2009 4:17 p.m.

Thanks, George. That's perhaps even more worrying. The one ray of hope: 2K could only have responded by revealing all the tricks up their sleeves, and they aren't ready to reveal it all yet. But if that is the case, they could at least say so.
  • oryandymackie - May 13, 2009 4:11 p.m.

Finally. I have been recognised by the GR elite. That's all I wanted. My comment is up there!
  • gamesradar_george1 - May 13, 2009 3:55 p.m.

@pimlicosound, @Gene, in Dave's absence - he's at an Activision event today - we tried to get 2K to comment, but they declined the offer. We'll keep trying as we'd love to know what they think of Dave's opinion.
  • Evernight - May 13, 2009 3:18 p.m.

I think we need to see Bioshock 2 as a seperate game set in the same world. No longer are we a weak man in a new and strange place. We are a tank and a defender of Little Sisters - or are we? Bioshock was a huge ripoff of System Shock 2 so maybe BS2 will be unique and something good on its own.
  • Gene - May 13, 2009 12:29 p.m.

@pimlicosound Agreed. Honesty, do you guys think that nobody at 2K has thought of these? I'm pretty sure they're trying their damndest to create something to equal or surpass BioShock, and I refuse to make any sort of judgement on the precious little information we've been handed thus far. Do we know much about the story at all? Do we know how Rapture will be (re-)designed? No. Have patience. I'm positive this game will deliver the goods.
  • pimlicosound - May 13, 2009 12:04 p.m.

David, any chance you can get someone from 2K Marin to respond to the fears generally shared by us gamers? I'd like to know if they have secrets up their sleeves that will help BS2 rise above our preconceptions.
  • Doorstop - May 13, 2009 11:34 a.m.

Hmm, maybe I should play Bioshock....
  • L4DFanatic - July 3, 2009 7:31 a.m.

21st! Wootness....anywho yeah Bioshock 2 is gonna be awesome, I dont find anything wrong with playing as the 1st Big Daddy
  • DEC4D3 - May 21, 2009 1:41 p.m.

Wow you you complied all comments from all 3 pages...YOU COULD MAKE A BOOK! GamesRadar Raving ReaderS! Or something catchy like that xD. I bags chapter one =)
  • RTM - May 17, 2009 3:25 a.m.

WOH WOH! NotBraze, It has been proven that the Vita Chamber in his room is active. If the Secuirity bots kill you, you revive in the chamber, obviously it isnt off then is it? So Ryan could return... And it has been said by 2K he will appear in the game, just they didn't say in what form.
  • Astro - May 15, 2009 10:01 p.m.

Hi people. Let me says something first. I speak spanish. I´ll do my best here... And I´ll post it in capitals, but I´m not screaming... jaja (maybe just a little) ANDREW RYAN IS NOT DEAD ANDREW RYAN IS NOT DEAD Remember that the Vita-Chambers were linked to Ryan personal ADN code... and that is why YOU could use it... And it saves you (us) from dying a thousand times... so.... IT SAVES ANDREW RYAN TOO.... He may die in front of you (us) but he has just respawned in the nearest Vita-Chamber. Its as simple as that. So... even if the game could not be as near as good as the first, it has a Mayor player in the plot... who´s not other tan the founder of Rapture.... And by the way... if the developers do not count this simple thing... the game is doomed already... Bye ! Astro
  • Mavarious - May 15, 2009 2:19 a.m.

Holy shit, there's like 15 full essays in this comment board. Do you people honestly think lazies like me are gonna read all that? If you're so into writing, I have a History term paper due soon..
  • abortnaw22 - May 15, 2009 1:01 a.m.

the fact is you guys are acting as if this is the mona lisa and doing one thing to it will ruin the whole ting but basicly there just trying to add more to the game they couldnt in the first like dual wield wepons and plasmids there just trying to add more depth more of the history to the game with some extras like live multiplayer... there not trying to recreate bioshock there just trying to make it better. and just to let you know i played bioshock and loved it and i think this is a great oppurtunity to open new doors and make the franchise even better. i dont know about all of you but im looking forward to this game. and to the editor i respect your opions just try and look at it in a poitive way and maybe you can appreciate what there trying to do!!!
  • matt588 - May 14, 2009 10:17 p.m.

Time for my rant. I love bioshock every aspect of it (yes, except for the endings) the plot, the people, the plasmids. This new bioshock does seem like a sellout but we won't know until it's too late. I read all 3 articles and will try to sum up my thoughts in 1 post. What was fun about the plasmids was that the splicers couldn't avoid them noones faster than lightning and incinerate was instant combustion. Thats why multiplayer would have been pointless in bioshock 1; it would have been nothing but a showdown with the person with the most medkits the winner. Since we don't knot what kind of weapons BS2 will bring I can't completely say multiplayer would be horrible, infact I think it would be kind of fun if you and 5 teammates play as a splicer pack vs a big daddy (or splicer vs splicer/big daddy vs big daddy). As to the polt of BS2 the big sister kidnapping children sounds interesting, but I wanna know where she got the suit, why noones followed her back, and why no splicers have made a break for the surface. And by the way, why have the slimmer prototype big daddy on ice? if he were weak he would have died, if he were strong why wasn't he out there protecting a little sister? As to being in rapture again... well you already went to Ryan's office and got plasmid V3 so why would there be stronger plasmids in the more obscure areas of rapture? That's not to say there won't be more bizzare versions of plasmids, or maybe the plasmids will became unstable, dealing more damage but hurting you in the process. And back to the main character- a big daddy. It is true that the escort mission near the end of BS1 sucked. But if the new little sisters behave like they did in BS1 then it won't be a big deal: with the slug in them they are immortal and they won't come out of the hidey hole unless you knock on the vent. What will make or break this game is how much choice you have, if you get trapped in a room with a crowd of splicers maybe you will be able to shatter the glass and drown them no problem, but doing that might destroy the room and all the goodies(audio recordings, ammo, med lits) in it. How exactly does helping/harvesting/rescuing the little sisters effect the game progress. While i'm asking side questions 1. was Tenenbaums' voiced the same person, I couldn't tell from the clip, 2. how is it you can switch from the drill to a rivet gun- it's your arm. That makes me think you will have to commit to 1 right hand weapon. Well thats about all I have to ask on the subject if any one has answers I am eagerly awaiting them.
  • Whattehfock - May 14, 2009 8:52 p.m.

Also @ NotBraze Holy freak, ya writin' a novel or what?
  • Awesomeitude1523 - May 14, 2009 8:02 p.m.

Haven't looked at this site in a while, so to my surpise I find a new article about an upcoming game that I am somewhat looking forward to. Heres my thoughts: Bioshock, for me, was and is the greatest next-gen game, and of the greatest games I have evr played. I can't speak much, considering I've had a PS3 5 months now and have a grand total of seven games. Call me a casual gamer if you will, but I don't have the money to buy games whenever I want. Can't wait for Bioshock 2, although, as has been repeated to death, the atmosphere and mood of the first game was too great to be surpassed or even equald by Bioshock 2. Great article, first one i've read in a while.
  • super-saint - May 14, 2009 7:25 p.m.

i was actualy kinda sad that the first bioshock dident have mulit, not co-op, that would blow, but mulit... goddamnit why dose the one game whose machinics i love to death have to be so perfect in a "isolated" setting...
  • NotBraze - May 14, 2009 6:01 a.m.

In my oppinion BioShock was not a complete work. It was a masterpiece, yes, but some things that aren't quite finished can be masterpieces. BioShock had great depth and a brilliant story, it was meticulously crafted and reached a level of near perfection, and ranks among my favorite games of all time. However, the reason I say it was not completed is because of the ending, Ken Levine himself said that he did not want to do two separate endings, but they did and both were terrible. The final boss battle was an uncreative cop-out, and the end cut scenes were overly simplistic and wrapped things up too quickly. BioShock had a very bitter ending that can be mostly covered up by the outstanding quality of the rest of the game, however I know that I don't want the ending of BioShock to be my last taste of that world. Now I will admit that I have more than a few doubts about BioShock 2, however, the people who are heading it up may not be Ken Levine but have enough passion for the game that I am convinced they will do a fantastic job. You compared the changing of the leadership to the old Batman movies, however that situation was different. Tim Burton had a strong vision for those movies, however the executives at WB replaced his vision with a (in theory) more family friendly model. I would argue that BioShock 2 has the potential to be more like James Cameron taking on Aliens after Ridley Scott or Irvin Kershner directing The Empire Strikes Back (lets not forget that the lead designer for BioShock 2 was responsible for Fort Frolic in the original). As for the Big Daddy aspect of the game, at this point I'll agree with you, however 2K is being purposely tight-lipped but they have mentioned more challenges other than Splicers and the Big Sister. Also take into consideration that by the time you reached Fort Frolic or Hephaestus in the first game Jack was almost an unstoppable force. Splicers fell down in waves much as they do in the BioShock 2 gameplay demo and Big Daddy's were easy enough to off if you had a decent technique. I imagine BioShock 2 will similar to starting in that position but soon finding that there's more to fear in Rapture than the occasional appearance of a spidery girl with a giant needle. The multi-player element is the most worrysome to me. From what I've read the idea of it sounds really cool, however I worry that doing that on top of the single player game will stretch both elements thin. I want to see a great multi-player element however if creating takes away from making a quality single player experience I hope to God that they remove it or at least throw in a Halo rip-off if they must to please the execs (I'm ok with ignoring multi-player). I'm torn with BioShock 2, part of me has faith that these guys are good enough to make a Toy Story 2, but at the same time I'm really worried that they've peaked themselves and there's no way to go but down. However you can be sure that come fall I'll be disconnected with real-life until I've completed this game. By the way, great article. I (and I'm sure you do as well) hope 2K surprises us all (in the best possible way).
  • VideoGameKing - May 14, 2009 1:19 a.m.

uh,as a big daddy,you dont have as much to fear,the big sister and plasmid splicers are things to fear,espsally the electric ones,ill like makeing the splicers run in fear from the drill,but the next game to be released (on a diffrent note and a company) is eaither a remake of the first 2 fallouts or a 4th fallout