• taokaka - June 27, 2012 4:08 p.m.

My list 1. Gravity Rush 2. Journey 3. Mass Effect 3 4. Blazblue Continuum shift extend 5. Final Fantasy XIII-2 6. Street Fighter X Tekken 7. Wipeout 2048 8. Super Stardust Delta 9. Rhythm Thief 10. Kid Icarus This years been good so far but I don't see many games coming out later in the year that have me very excited just Tekken, Sleeping Dogs and Dishonoured.
  • taokaka - December 17, 2012 11 a.m.

hello me from 5 months and 3 weeks ago. your list is a bit muddled let me help you 1. Journey 2. Mass Effect 3 3. Gravity rush 4. Blazblue continuum shift extend 5. The walking dead 6. Tekken tag 2 7. Professor layton and the miracle mask 8. sound shapes 9. Tales of graces f 10. Final fantasy XIII-2
  • Hobogonigal - December 18, 2012 4:20 a.m.

Hahaha, your first 3 did a complete switch. Never realised you enjoyed Mass Effect 3 so much though, surprising. I started to write you a list of my top 10 games this year, until I realised that I haven't even bought ten to make up the list...
  • taokaka - December 18, 2012 5:56 a.m.

first you never realized how much I enjoyed journey and now mass effect, despite the huge conversations we had and the all out argument we had where you argued that the ending was utter rubbish and I argued it was merely disappointing. The reason for gravity rushes shift was the fact I was totally addicted to gravity rush when I wrote the first list and hadn't come across many boss battles yet (the games bosses are some of the worst I've come across in ages) Also you could at least give a list a shot, it doesn't have to be ten long. It's fun, trust me.
  • BladedFalcon - June 27, 2012 3:54 p.m.

Nice list so far. I'm looking forward to getting Spec Ops: The Line soon, and I've yet to play Dragon's Dogma, so my opinion might change, but so far, these are my favorite games of the year: 1.- Max Payne 3: I've stated it before, the game's fantastic, and IMO, the second best 3rd person shooter of this generation, only topped by the masterful and underrated Vanquish. 2.- Kid Icarus: Uprising. While not nearly my main reason to egt a 3DS, I was curious for this game, and it was the first one I've bought for it. Haven't regretted it a single bit, and even though I've played it for over 20 hours, I've STILL haven't beaten it, and not because it's THAT long, but because it gives you too damn much incentives to go back and replay stages ASAP. Only thing that makes it imperfect for me are the controls. (I don't care how you try to justify it, using the L trigger as the shooting button is NOT a good idea! And it's irksome that the game doesn't give you simple workaround, like simply tapping the screen to serve as your attack prompt.) And while I've gotten used to the dodging system now, I still think I'd work better if it was placed as a button, like say, THE L BUTTON. Also, I'm not that much of a fan of the characters and dialog so far. Sure, a bit of it is funny, but often it feels like it's trying too hard, and pit is specially insufferable... Things got better once the other Gods showed up though. Fuck yeah Pyron. 3.- Journey: This is a game that's easy to bash because, well, frankly, it IS light on actual game-play and challenge. But people that went in looking for that here... Well... Honestly, they missed the point. It's not about playing it like a game, it is playing it like an EXPERIENCE. Putting yourself in the shoes of the wanderer, letting yourself immerse in the situation and the emotions it evokes. It was just something refreshingly different, and it never overstayed it's welcome or wore itself out. 4.- Mass Effect 3: Even though the ending was pretty disappointing, this game still kicks a lot of ass, and the rest of the story was still great and fun, and a lot of the character interactions were just as good and fun, if not more so than in ME2. It might not be the best of the trilogy, but it's still more a fitting entry.
  • Arucard04 - June 27, 2012 3:25 p.m.

Bought a Vita and Gravity Rush last week and don't regret it even a little bit :)
  • Brutalicus - June 27, 2012 2:33 p.m.

ME3 will have a hard year ahead of it with games like Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars 2 launching... but it's the best game I've played in at least a year. What gives it my nod? Multiplayer. Yes, the campaign was fantastic and basically a 25-hour long fanboy orgasm, but the multiplayer still has me hooked >3 months later. That's saying something for an RPG.
  • lmaocarrots - June 27, 2012 1:12 p.m.

I'm insulted Journey isn't #1. Max Payne 3 is great fun and innovative and Mass Effect 3 is more of the same greatness, but Journey is a emotional roller coaster ride. It is quite possibly THE most beautiful game ever made and maybe that will ever be made. If a game makes me cry at it's sheer beauty and force all of my friends to play it, it deserves to win any day over a 3rd Person Shooter and RPG.
  • lmaocarrots - June 27, 2012 1:15 p.m.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Journey has already placed itself high in your Greatest Games of All Time list (#56 I think). How could it not be the best so far?
  • GR HollanderCooper - June 27, 2012 1:45 p.m.

That list was released before half of the games on this list came out.
  • lmaocarrots - June 27, 2012 5:04 p.m.

Yeah, but I doubt Max Payne 3 or Mass Effect 3 would make the list. Journey is a unique, life changing experience.
  • talleyXIV - June 27, 2012 5:32 p.m.

As much as I want to play Journey, it seems a little shallow. In the way that it is trying to be the deepest game ever made... The less is more approach is honestly a little annoying. "Look at our beautiful game, you walk in it. Is that not just stunning?" It maybe a great game but to put it at number 1 when its basis is walking and jumping for 4 hours is a little ridiculous. Especially over Max Payne 3 and Mass Effect 3 that can offer many hours of varied gameplay.
  • lmaocarrots - June 27, 2012 10:25 p.m.

It's not trying to be deep, unless you try too hard it has no depth at all and the story is simple. I don't know what to tell you, but if amazingly fun gameplay in a flawless, beautiful world doesn't sound awesome, there's something wrong with you. I don't care if Max Payne 3 and Mass Effect 3 gave me 100's of hours of gameplay, the 2 hours that Journey provides are so incredible it doesn't matter. The second one of my friends beat it all he said was "That was one of the greatest experiences in my life"
  • RedHarlow - June 27, 2012 1:26 p.m.

It's a game made for art-house goons, nothing more. Visuals alone do not make the best game of the year.
  • BladedFalcon - June 27, 2012 2:50 p.m.

It's not just the visuals. It's the pacing, and just enjoying and experiencing the ride the game offers. Sure, it's more an experience than a proper game. But not everything has to be gameplay and mechanics. Something a bit different is alright once in a while, I'd say. I enjoyed it a lot, though I wouldn't put it in number 1, to be fair.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 27, 2012 3:17 p.m.

Hated that little was changed to the gameplay since mass effect (original). Overall the story is the main reason it would win game of the year.
  • ARCHANGEL309 - July 3, 2012 9:05 p.m.

You're kidding, right? I don't know how anybody can think that gameplay in the Mass Effect Series hasn't gotten progressively more fluid and fun.
  • IamTheBalance - June 27, 2012 12:54 p.m.

Seeing Diablo 3 on this list saddens me. People love this game just because its Daiblo 3 and Blizzard knows it. Thats why the butchered the franchise and built Diablo 3 around the RMAH instead of actually making a great game. Way to go you mindless sheep! You helped kill the Diablo franchise
  • EnragedTortoise1 - June 27, 2012 1:06 p.m.

Whether you like it or not, people have differing opinions. If you didn't like D3, then that's okay- that doesn't mean everybody has to hate it.
  • ncurry2 - June 28, 2012 9:07 a.m.

Made this meme for reddit just a second ago: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3pwdrj/
  • shawksta - June 27, 2012 12:43 p.m.

I just noticed Resident Evil Revelations isnt here, oh well, no biggie if its not on the list, its still great. And Rhythm Heaven Fever was a fun experience, visually and in its gameplay.