• Darth_Griffin - December 2, 2010 5:57 a.m.

it's the cycle continuing. Last we heard was a study shining a light on games and positive things about how games help people and now a negativly biased study is being done. I'd give it 3 weeks or less before we see another study come out giving video games a positive spin. It'll probably be focusing completely on those who are at the far end of the addicted spectrum and disreagard those of us who game a lot, but lead normal lives.
  • laurenhiya21 - December 2, 2010 5:55 a.m.

could be interesting.... I just hope it isn't too one-sided or anything (like a lot of stuff like this seems to be...)
  • JMAN1156 - December 2, 2010 4:10 a.m.

Ok, I know video games are addicting (I have to fight it sometimes), but quit school and play 21 hours a day? If that person didn't have video games he would be addicted to crack cocaine! This is stupid, there are lots of thing that are addicting (including TV which this show is on) and people just need to learn to resist temptation. P.S. I am getting so fucking tired of this stupid spam. @rdzthy1
  • JohnnyMaverik - December 2, 2010 3:26 a.m.

You never know, they might go into it fairly impartial... although knowing Panorama I doubt it, if it isn't controversial for the masses they don't bother, although they have some what of a reputation to up hold so I doubt it'll be the fox news style baseless game bashing bonanza that we're used to. For any people in the US who are unaware of what Panorama is, it's a hard hitting documentary programme that uncovers controversies through the use of some good old investigative journalism, a big step away from the Alan Titchmarsh show that you may have noticed having a go at games a few months back, which is a talk show run by a middle aged, famous with-in the UK only gardener and TV personality. As for “reveal the hidden psychological devices in games”, well, I wish developers were that bloody cleaver, but the vast majority aren't, they can barely string a plot together through a bunch of run and gun sequences, let alone embed psychological hooks that lead to proper, full blow, hard to kick addiction. The way I see it games can be a little addictive, but it's not like heroine, I used to have a bit of a problem when I was younger, say 12-15 and for reference I'm 20 now. I certainly wouldn't attribute it to games alone, the root was more likely hormone driven nihilistic teenage angst, but at the same time games were the outlet, but now I don't, I hardly ever play games in my Uni term time cuz I'm just too bloody busy, and if they were really that addictive not only would I not be able to quite happily go "cold turkey", I would never have been able to go from somebody that played them too much, too often, and didn't like to be told "no more today", to somebody who loves games but certainly doesn't let them get in the way of his work and other aspects of his life.
  • Bonesqaw - December 2, 2010 3:13 a.m.

Anything can be addictive, yet I think video game addiction is simply a lack of self control, not something like drugs or alcohol where one's body gains a physical need of it. You're not gonna get WOW widthdrawl symptoms. And if you do, you should recover by playing a good game.
  • SideOfBeef - December 2, 2010 3:02 a.m.

It's a fine thing for them to base a show on, I just hope they keep some perspective. Yes, most games are designed to keep you playing them, but I'll be pretty mad if they start talking about these "hidden features" like multiplayer progression that are advertised on the back of the damn box.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - December 2, 2010 2:50 a.m.

This might be a little more psychologically inclined than one may think. Hmm, yes. *strokes nonexistent beard*
  • Vitreosity - December 2, 2010 2:45 a.m.

I kind of wish I had access to BBC, so I can watch this. Generally anything that involves mainstream and video games, to me, is just effin' hilarious.
  • Zummertime - December 2, 2010 2:42 a.m.

" It’ll be interesting to see if Panorama reporters will investigate the addictive properties of games based on popular BBC shows, like Top Gear and Doctor Who for the iPhone. Oh wait, we guess they’ll only be looking at good games." made me laugh out loud xD Silly, silly, silly BBC... video games are here to stay, get use to it or get the fuck out of the way