• Ultima - March 17, 2011 5:01 a.m.

@REL013 I agree with your comment completely. When reading this article I had to wonder if I had accidentally gone to IGN, or if Bobby Kotic had infiltrated the Gamesradar office
  • shawksta - March 17, 2011 4:59 a.m.

I agree only on a few, mostly the shooter complaint. Dont get me wrong, I love shooter games, but lets get serious, its getting Overused and every genre is getting a half shooter hyrbid. Its not like i hate shooters, I just dont like how almost almost everything has to be a shooter, its makes Mario riding Yoshi Original
  • REL013 - March 17, 2011 4:45 a.m.

God I hope this is trolling. Hopefully GR isn't serious about any of these 'open minded gamer' comments, because open minded gamer is enjoying getting screwed. If they're serious, I won't stop reading GR, but I'll certainly stop reading Ben Griffin
  • CoryM1134 - March 17, 2011 4:37 a.m.

The graphics deal ain't nothin' new, younguns. Almost all you had to do to sell a system was mark how many bits it could handle all over the box. It worked as long as you didn't charge 6 or 700 hundred bucks for your console, like the damn Jaguar (64 BITS!) or 3DO (ULTRA-REALISTIC INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA GOD!).
  • Duraji - March 17, 2011 4:03 a.m.

"If premium perks someday gave online gamers an edge, favoring the man with the most money, we wouldn’t complain; isn’t that what life/WoW is about anyway?" Someday? They already do! I'm sorry, but I CANNOT accept that we find it okay that gamers with the most money automatically get an edge in online games. That's basically what has ruined Team Fortress 2, because they buy all the best weapons and premium servers with real money and then cheat their way through every game, making it not fun for anyone else. No, people with the most money should NEVER get the edge in competition for gaming, and even if it does work that way with other things, it's not a good thing whatsoever. The other points are good, though, so it's not like I hate this article.
  • Misterscaryface - March 17, 2011 3:44 a.m.

Best DLC was for Alan Wake. If you bought the game new, it came with the first DLC for free( I think it was 'the signal'). Which they should do for all games that are going to have DLC like a month after release. Anything after that, like what Gearbox did for Borderlands, which was keep releasing quality DLC even a year after the game has been out. Than it's worth it to pay for it. Keeps the game fresh.
  • Friedrice - March 17, 2011 3:42 a.m.

It seems to me, those are all justifiable problems with games today.
  • purple_omlet - March 17, 2011 3:42 a.m.

Who are these old gamers? I figured that I would constitute as one, but then I disagreed with every one of these things (except DLC... fucking bullshit). who is it that says this kind of crap?
  • porjos - March 17, 2011 3:38 a.m.

I take issue with how the words "open-minded" are used in the article. Being open-minded is a quality everyone should possess...being a little b*tch while Bobby K of Activision takes a dump down your wallet is another.
  • garnsr - March 17, 2011 3:24 a.m.

This was a very Jim Sterlingesque article, right down to the punchline last entry.
  • Ariaka - March 17, 2011 3:14 a.m.

Why not moan about how Epic stopped making Jill of the Jungle and Jazz Jackrabbit? At least Cliffy B worked on one of those XD Kid, I kid (Though, Jill was AWESOME, I have room in my heart for Gears and Unreal XD)
  • festafreak - March 17, 2011 2:17 a.m.

I'm 25 and have been playing PC games since 1995. I have a hate list too! 1) DLC - I miss expansion packs and I abhor day 1 DLC. 2) Pre-order bonuses - Some games I know I will get. It's the games that seem to come with so much that I need to be careful with. Are they trying to sweeten the deal to minimize the shock of how awful the game actually is? Hate it when stores/steam have a different bonus and you are left wondering... why can't I have them all? 3) The biggest one is terrible console ports. HI CRYSIS 2. Press start to begin... ALT F4!
  • avantguardian - March 17, 2011 1:48 a.m.

@ben griffin: is "cold and frightened" a grandpa simpson reference? anyway, the relatively high cost of gaming coupled with the ridiculous amount of gamer entitlement and elitism is always going cause problems...also, people HATE it when you fuck with their nostalgia... i mean, you can sit and bitch about how they "don't make 'em like they used to", or get a new hobby, or whatever, it won't change anything (not cynical!)... or you could just roll with the goddamn punches and appreciate what's out there for your enjoyment...i've been playing games for almost 30 years, and i find looking forward to what's coming far more appealing than pushing my rose colored nerd glasses up the bridge of my nose (while mouth-breathing)....
  • paul212 - March 17, 2011 1:26 a.m.

I hate hearing 12 year olds say a game like cod or halo graphics suck, have you played snes or n64?!? Anything better than oac is amazing!
  • GamesRadarMatthewKeast - March 17, 2011 1:08 a.m.

On principle I thought I would hate the muted-color "gritty" look until I played Gears 2. That game is beautiful despite being mostly gray. Think of it like a Black & White movie: artistically it's still relevant today because B&W takes away color as a "distraction" from texture and shadows. Gears 2 made me really pay attention to the architecture of the Locust and the texture work in general, which was magnificent. I might have not noticed those details as much if there was a bunch of color fighting for my visual attention. Of course, I ALSO like coloful games.
  • nadrewod - March 17, 2011 12:56 a.m.

I personally am just slightly annoyed by most of the stuff on this list. However, what really pushes my "ANGRY FACE" buttons is when some idiot messes with a great series for no reason other than he wanted to retain control of it. At that point, I refuse to give the idiot any of my money for the series' next installment or any games his company is releasing other than ones I have been looking forward to for months (Singularity). Overall, I don't think CoD:BlOps has anything wrong with it, I just don't support the practices of its publisher, so I vote to remove the idiot from office using the Power of the Almighty Consumer Dollar. I personally want to say that the instant the CoD series leaves Activision's dirty hands, I will go to a midnight launch for the next game in the series, no matter what the reviews say.
  • Pantas - March 17, 2011 12:41 a.m.

This made me lol hard since I've complained about everything here at one time or another.
  • Higgins - March 17, 2011 12:39 a.m.

Well, playing FPSes with a gamepad is still WRONG! Yeah yeah, I'm just gonna put my slippers on, take my medicine, and watch The Running Man again. And I'm not even kidding!
  • Eliath - March 17, 2011 12:32 a.m.

I say screw DLC unless it's a bona fide expansion pack. Borderlands did it right. Each DLC expansion cost a bit, but it added a few hours of content for each. General Knoxx on the other hand added a few weeks worth of fun with the addition of "end game" features like Crawmerax and legendary drops. Another great example of what an expansion pack should be like is Dawn of War. Each expansion is only slightly less than a full priced game, but it is essentially another game entirely. The latest expansion is massive for the $30 price tag. The $1-$5 DLC for a new weapon or outfit or one added mission is ridiculous. Paying for an unlock key for anything already on the disc is also an upsetting trend. My least favorite example of DLC is map packs for FPS games. @EnragedTortoise1 I hope it still gets discussed, but I think they do the recording late Wednesday so it might be missed. I just really like the Top 7 discussion format on TalkRadar and would love to hear the cast wax lyrical about this article.
  • GreenLeader - March 17, 2011 12:29 a.m.

I agree with the 'old-man' as far as DLC and pre-order bonuses go TO AN EXTENT. (rant) I, personally, really hate when I have to pay extra for DLC that releases shortly after the game does. All this tells me is the developers wanted more money, so, instead of putting the data on the disk, they put it out as a DLC. And sometimes, the data IS on the disk! As far as a pre-order bonus goes, I don't mind the stuff that's just for looks, like for the up-coming MK release, but when games start to lean towards who has the most money, because that extra nuke is an extra $25 pre-order from that store down the road, that gets on my nerves. (/rant)