• BaraChat - March 17, 2011 2:40 p.m.

I seriously don't mind premium content for when you buy the game new. Developers have the right to protect the product they put on the market, instead of GameStop and others making MORE money off games they didn't even produce. I admit I used to buy a lot of used games off ebay and GameStop, but I'm trying to reduce that numer, except for a few developers/producers (looking at you, Activision) I don't mind not giving my money to.
  • rabidpotatochip - March 17, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Bah, I can make your list way shorter: everything games do that they didn't do in my generation sucks. And back in my day, we didn't have lists of 8, we had top 7 lists, and that's the way we liked it!
  • philipshaw - March 17, 2011 11:54 a.m.

I think that I do all of these
  • EvilNinjaSquibidyflop - March 17, 2011 11:26 a.m.

The biggest problem I have is with retailer exclusive pre-order bonuses, simply because I can't get any of them because I live overseas.
  • JohnnyMaverik - March 17, 2011 11:21 a.m.

For those of you complaining about GR taking the side of pre-release DLC and store specific pre-order bonuses, or indeed any pre-order bonus, should bare in mind that they just like playing devils advocate.
  • JohnnyMaverik - March 17, 2011 11:18 a.m.

I agree with Curmudgeonly Gamer on most points bar art-direction, FPS' to some extent, and younger online gamers who have as much right to be playing the games and talking over voice chat as I do. Other than that Open-Minded gamer is obviously just a chump with no backbone and Curmudgeonly gamer is spot on the money.
  • presc1ence - March 17, 2011 11:12 a.m.

Wow. For the first time ever im going to have to say something that i never thought i'd level at a gamesardar piece. Lazy article. The old gamer bits were not expressed very well and unfunny. The new gamer bits were just massivly pointless, offering neither humourous or real answers to the old gamer complaints. Or have i just been spoiled by the comedy gold yous guys usually provide?
  • Anon474 - March 17, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Missed one: Kids online - It says something about how inaccurate this statement is when I cant go to any store that sells games without hearing some child haggle with his mom over an M rated shooter. Though the problem is indeed easy to remedy, that doesn't mean it isn't fucking annoying. However, my problem is more with the parents that don't care what kind of threats they dole out online. Not only that these same mothers will be the first in line to cry foul about violent games the next time something violent happens, even though the KNEW what they were buying.
  • Anon474 - March 17, 2011 10:13 a.m.

These all sound like terribly hypocritical things and they even trip up in their own arguments in almost every section... Which is the major flaw of the article: All these things work well if (and only if) they are done RIGHT. For an example on each... Dark visuals - They work well if they're there for a reason. Fallout, Doom 3, and Splinter Cell have darker palettes for a justifiable reason. However, if I'm playing a game that has no need to be brown/grey and bloom, then it's annoying as fuck. Premium content - This one's very subjective. I agree that we should have the choice, but it tripped over its own argument when it said they "may be tittersome attempts by publishers to supplement their product (at best) and tasteless grabs for our cash (at worst)". Pre-Order Exclusives - This can get quite tiresome. Yes, we know companies are competing for our cash, but don't hack off substantial bits of the game and give them to different retailers with no further option but to pay for them later (or no option to access the content at all) or give one retailer a balance destroying weapon for multiplayer. A lot of my choice in pre-ordering has to do with 2 major factors: Ease of pickup & reservation and travel distance. As such, all my pre-orders go through gamestop since it's closest and pre-ordering as simple as telling the guy behind the counter my name and giving him $5. At Best Buy or Target, I have to look for these cards or boxes (which contain the only way to get the preorder bonuses). I miss the days when you got cool, PHYSICAL items for pre-orders. Shirts, posters, soundtracks, plushies, or even another game (which i see on PC all the time). DLC - Right: Just Cause 2's weapon packs. Dead Rising 2's skill packs. GTA IV's DLC. Wrong: Capcom's reoccurring ON DISK "DLC". Overpriced content. Giving me the real ending for $10. I'm all for extending the life of my games, but turning my $60 game into a $70 or $80 game for an extra hour or two of playtime isnt gonna cut it. What happened to Halo 2's "paid for a while, free after that" business model? Motion controls - Again, if DONE RIGHT, they work well. If they're tacked on or handled poorly, they suck. Prime example is Okami. They work well on the Wii, but the unreliability of the dodge has led to more than a few of my deaths. FPS - The problem lies in over-saturation of the genre, not the genre itself. Just as it did with the music genre games: There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the core gameplay, there were just too damn many of them. Kotick - No examples needed, because this one is right.
  • CitizenWolfie - March 17, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Y'know, you have a point when you say most quality DLC is preconceived, and I don't really mind that too much (ie Da Vinci Disappearance or Point Lookout). Anything that adds a bit more longevity to a good game is fine with me. What really pisses me off, and Capcom is the worst for it right now, is removing content from the game and releasing it later. People have hacked into the code for MvC3 and found Jill Valentine, yet you want us to pay an extra £3.99 (just for her, Shuma sold separately!) to play as her? You fucking cheats. I notice THQ are going the same way with the Smackdown games. I mean, I know the COD DLC is expensive, but at least the people who buy it get a lot of play out of it. Some of the people on my friends lists play nothing but COD.
  • AuthorityFigure - March 17, 2011 9:41 a.m.

It's because the marketing departments have a hold on the artistic direction - this results in homogenisation of genres, game play mechanics, DLC and so on... The developers are not the final word any more.
  • JBizFoShiz - March 17, 2011 9:08 a.m.

oh, and that part about gamers loving EA: yes, they did good work with rock band, skate, and a few other series i cant think of right now. [barring madden] but i will never get over the fact that they refused to support the dreamcast during its short lifespan, and instead opted to program for the PS2 (which was notoriously difficult to program for during its first few years...of eventual dominance)
  • JBizFoShiz - March 17, 2011 9:01 a.m.

the one i find myself agreeing with the most is the part about pre-order bonuses. yes, it's a cashgrab - but that stuff is essentially ALREADY in the game. it's just locked unless you buy it on day one. [rage about not being able to play as the harlequin in AC:B's online. he has such great kill animations] "dull" graphics can work if the mood is right (arkham asylum, some parts of infamous). but it IS as if everything sometimes runs through a grey filter before being completed... oh, and about DLC - anybody who's played rock band with friends should know that many on-disc songs get ignored/played to death. DLC keeps it fresh, with songs coming out every week. there's no way devs would be able to meet everybody's song tastes right away. know what? i'm going to go ahead and download a few RB tracks right now just to prove a point to myself. excuse me...
  • phoenix_wings - March 17, 2011 8:17 a.m.

Haha! Chocolate milk, coming up ~Disconnected~
  • Benjamin333 - March 17, 2011 8:07 a.m.

Thanks for all the comments guys, hope you're all enjoying my article. And for anyone who isn't, come and have a moan. That's what it's all about! @EnragedTortoise I'm only a lowly freelancer and so don't have access to photoshop. That beautiful Fallout 'shop' was done in MSpaint.
  • kaiben - March 17, 2011 8:03 a.m.

I agree with all the old gamer points. I'm 20 years old. Why are you making me feel old?
  • Imgema - March 17, 2011 7:49 a.m.

Mainstream, casual movies, with flashy FMVs, never ending cut-scenes spoon-feeding you with more story elements and over-emotional content, less play, lots of "coolz" posing and huge indicators (YES we know that a ladder goes up and down, we don't need a huge, flashing arrow to notice)... That's what gaming is all about today. When casual, brainless games like GoW, Gears, Halo and CoD are supposed to be for "real gamers" then you know that's something is wrong. If you want an example to see how dumbed down and tasteless (most) games are today, look at OtherM. Super Metroid is what gaming used to be and OtherM is what gaming is today. It represents all that is wrong with today's gaming and how they ruin old franchises (like Resident Evil, Sonic etc.) OtherM is the worst thing that happened to gaming after the crash in my opinion. Thankfully the occasional SoC, Okami and Portal ease the pain a bit. But you have to dig dip into the garbage to find them. Yes, i moan. What?
  • jmcgrotty - March 17, 2011 7:19 a.m.

Old gamers are right in (at least) one of these. Online chat in a video game is unacceptable trash. It needs to leave the industry, especially since there is no valid use for it.
  • CoryM1134 - March 17, 2011 7:04 a.m.

@phantomfatale, It's like a public swimming pool. Sure, kids have the right to be there, but the fact that theyre screaming, pushing each other, and filling the environment with pee becomes irritating to mature pool users quickly. Personally, I don't want to go to a movie if there are a ton of kids there. I dont want to go to a family restaurant where kids are screaming. I don't want to be in a Tekken bout with five racist, homophobic thirteen year olds. Call me old fashioned.
  • phantomfatale - March 17, 2011 5:08 a.m.

most of this stuff is straight to the point and I agree with a majority of it, but I can't help but disagree to a point about the younger online gamers. True they have as much right to be online as anyone else, but what really annoys me is their incessant spamming of the microphone. perhaps a bit petty, but everyone has those little pet peeves right?