We Recommend

• tehtimeisnow - April 13, 2013 4:55 p.m.

horrable list!seruoisely y isnt baclk ops2 on it?thats the best gane of all time it shuold b number 1 and u guys have all sort of dum ganes on this like zedla and pokaman and mario?those r all just garbege games for littel kids.this list fales so hard
  • cookieninja123 - April 13, 2013 10:11 p.m.

I hope your trolling, because if your not you should see some help.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 18, 2013 6:11 p.m.

You MUST be new here, meme not intended.
  • gtaivac_ - April 14, 2013 1:10 p.m.

Be subtle with it, man. You know what subtle means?
  • sephex - April 13, 2013 4:44 p.m.

Would've been better if it's in time order. Otherwise I agree. But Jesus Christ, do something with your article, it's impossible to type in this format back and forth. Why do you always feel the need to change something substantial like this?
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 13, 2013 9:02 p.m.

Is it giving you an error or something? Let us know and we'll try to fix it! Unless you're talking about the basic gallery-style thing, which we've been doing for about a year.
  • sephex - April 14, 2013 3:32 a.m.

I'm talking about hitting the arrow keys and the article pops up, yeah like a gallery and moves to the next game. But it's unnecessary when I type I don't look at the article. And no, it's new.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 14, 2013 1:50 p.m.

Hm. Good note, I'll bring it to our product team. Thanks!
  • winner2 - April 13, 2013 3:55 p.m.

Wow, runescape...memories. Seeing it makes me want to log back on, but I know I'll just get impatient in 10 minutes and remember that it's just overwhelming how much there is to do. And that pic must be really old for those pink p-hats to be going for 500k.
  • ENiGMAzA - April 13, 2013 3:06 p.m.

I'm sorry, but how is Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam or Battlefield 2 not even on here?
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - April 15, 2013 9:57 a.m.

We talked a lot about having BF 1942 on the list, and for a time it was. But in the end, we felt it didn't do enough in terms of breaking ground or popularizing much of anything. Its environmental destruction is awesome, to be sure, but Red Faction did it first. Curious, though: for what reasons would you include it?
  • ENiGMAzA - April 15, 2013 10:14 a.m.

I would say large scale battles and maybe defining how one would use vehicles in-game, but I would think there are earlier games which probably have done this already. I.e Planetside. But I get what you mean.
  • santaclouse37 - April 13, 2013 2:31 p.m.

First of all, I would LOVE to see this arranged chronologically, and would pay for an interactive timeline infographic. Second, I would include Journey, for obvious reasons, and Spec Ops: The Line. While it hasn't had as much of an impact (yet) as the games on this list, and it certainly wasn't the first game to make the player question their actions. However, it is probably the most notable game to have forced players to question the violent nature of the game (especially the shooter genre), which makes it one of the most important games of the present moment. As pressure is increasingly being placed on the video game community to question the hyper-violent nature of most mainstream games, Spec Ops is the best example we have of a game taking responsibility for its content in a truly mature manner.
  • rob619 - April 13, 2013 2:29 p.m.

Fantastic list, I havent really played any of the games on the list. Have read and heard how most of them have shaped gaming. Another great list from the gamesradar team
  • talleyXIV - April 13, 2013 10:45 a.m.

Ocarina of Time is top 5, so many ideas came from it.
  • BladedFalcon - April 15, 2013 11:50 a.m.

Not really, yes, it was important and it did bring new things, which is why on the list to begin with. But the main things that distinguish the game; The 3D and the exploration were done and popularized before by Mario 64 and the First Legend of Zelda game, both of which are in the list and deservedly above OoT.
  • talleyXIV - April 19, 2013 2:21 p.m.

That's fair, and by that logic I'd say Legend of Zelda would have to be up there because was there really a game like it at the time and did that game launch such a long running series?
  • BladedFalcon - April 19, 2013 6:19 p.m.

You're right, there wasn't anything quite like it, but I don't think that alone makes it important as a whole, since there's a lot of other games that were big pioneers but didn't really leave much of a mark. Of course, legend of Zelda did, but even though the franchise is huge and popular to this day, it's not exactly a huge trend setter in the way that say, doom or Mario where, since both of those games pretty much defined the platformer and FPS genres. And no, LoZ didn't actually define a genre, neither the RPG nor the action game because both of those genres behave very differently. the LoZ gameplay is pretty much it's own thing, and a good thing at that, and also important, which is why both of it's game are on this list. But I don't think it made the waves that the games above it did. Yes, even the sims, which even though I loathe the series, and have never understood the appeal, it's the harbringer of a lot of modern things such as expansion packs and DLC, which, is not necessarily a GOOD thing, but it's very important nonetheless because of how ubiquitous that model now is.
  • mike2082 - April 13, 2013 6:59 a.m.

The Command & Conquer series has certainly had the longest running success as a game franchise in my opinion....it started with Sega CD and now it's still here with C&C4 (not my favorite of the series though - that was C&C: Red Alert 2).
  • RonF - April 13, 2013 5:11 a.m.

The list is pretty good but the order tell me more about the preferences of who made it than anything else.
  • LEGOMatrix - April 13, 2013 1:51 a.m.

One day... Shenmue on 3DS.
  • GlobalNightmare - April 13, 2013 1:27 a.m.

Pokemon wouldn't exist without the Final fantasy series. World of warcraft wouldn't exist without gauntlet. Doom wouln't exist without Wolfenstein. How does farmville hit the list? That exists because of sim city. Track and field? Micro machines? Sonic? Columns? Starfox? Castlevania? I could go on,and on. Is this a personal list, or has legit research been done? Some great games on this list, but so many have been overlooked. Try again.