• tedsini - April 13, 2013 7:10 p.m.

Interesting list, but in terms of pure innovation I think you should have included Adventure. I remember attaching an acoustic coupler to my phone to log into the University main frame where we had installed its precursor. This was in the 70's and the original game was played in a series of text communications. "you are in a maze of twisty passages. A dwarf with an ugly axe pops up and waves it threateningly. You A. Run like hell, B. Cast a spell to turn him into a frog, C. Attack him with your bare hands (good luck with that), or D. Negotiate (right)." Each room had up to six exits - N, S, E, W, up and down. We used to map out the grid by trial-and-error. Later it was used to create the "actual" video game and contained the following innovations: "Adventure was the first action-adventure game on a video console, the first to contain a widely-known Easter egg, and the first to allow a player to have a stash of items, which required the player to select which one to use at any given moment, usually through keyboard or joystick input. Adventure allowed the player to drop one item and pick up another without having to type in any commands. The game was also the first to use a fog of war effect in its catacombs, which obscured most of the playing area except for the player's immediate surroundings." This from a Wikipedia article with some documentation to back it up. That's quite a laundry list of firsts. Still liked your list though.
  • tehtimeisnow - April 13, 2013 4:55 p.m.

horrable list!seruoisely y isnt baclk ops2 on it?thats the best gane of all time it shuold b number 1 and u guys have all sort of dum ganes on this like zedla and pokaman and mario?those r all just garbege games for littel kids.this list fales so hard
  • cookieninja123 - April 13, 2013 10:11 p.m.

I hope your trolling, because if your not you should see some help.
  • Rhymenocerous - April 15, 2013 1:41 p.m.

Of course he is... Pretty funny actually. A bit too obvious, mind.
  • BaraChat - April 15, 2013 8:10 p.m.

tehtimeisnow is actually a well-known troll here on GR. You either learn to laugh at his comments (like this one is pretty hilarious, if somewhat obvious) or ignore them altogether. If by some twist of fate he's not a troll and actually being serious, well then all hope for humanity is lost.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 18, 2013 6:11 p.m.

You MUST be new here, meme not intended.
  • gtaivac_ - April 14, 2013 1:10 p.m.

Be subtle with it, man. You know what subtle means?
  • sephex - April 13, 2013 4:44 p.m.

Would've been better if it's in time order. Otherwise I agree. But Jesus Christ, do something with your article, it's impossible to type in this format back and forth. Why do you always feel the need to change something substantial like this?
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 13, 2013 9:02 p.m.

Is it giving you an error or something? Let us know and we'll try to fix it! Unless you're talking about the basic gallery-style thing, which we've been doing for about a year.
  • sephex - April 14, 2013 3:32 a.m.

I'm talking about hitting the arrow keys and the article pops up, yeah like a gallery and moves to the next game. But it's unnecessary when I type I don't look at the article. And no, it's new.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 14, 2013 1:50 p.m.

Hm. Good note, I'll bring it to our product team. Thanks!
  • winner2 - April 13, 2013 3:55 p.m.

Wow, runescape...memories. Seeing it makes me want to log back on, but I know I'll just get impatient in 10 minutes and remember that it's just overwhelming how much there is to do. And that pic must be really old for those pink p-hats to be going for 500k.
  • ENiGMAzA - April 13, 2013 3:06 p.m.

I'm sorry, but how is Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam or Battlefield 2 not even on here?
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - April 15, 2013 9:57 a.m.

We talked a lot about having BF 1942 on the list, and for a time it was. But in the end, we felt it didn't do enough in terms of breaking ground or popularizing much of anything. Its environmental destruction is awesome, to be sure, but Red Faction did it first. Curious, though: for what reasons would you include it?
  • ENiGMAzA - April 15, 2013 10:14 a.m.

I would say large scale battles and maybe defining how one would use vehicles in-game, but I would think there are earlier games which probably have done this already. I.e Planetside. But I get what you mean.
  • santaclouse37 - April 13, 2013 2:31 p.m.

First of all, I would LOVE to see this arranged chronologically, and would pay for an interactive timeline infographic. Second, I would include Journey, for obvious reasons, and Spec Ops: The Line. While it hasn't had as much of an impact (yet) as the games on this list, and it certainly wasn't the first game to make the player question their actions. However, it is probably the most notable game to have forced players to question the violent nature of the game (especially the shooter genre), which makes it one of the most important games of the present moment. As pressure is increasingly being placed on the video game community to question the hyper-violent nature of most mainstream games, Spec Ops is the best example we have of a game taking responsibility for its content in a truly mature manner.
  • rob619 - April 13, 2013 2:29 p.m.

Fantastic list, I havent really played any of the games on the list. Have read and heard how most of them have shaped gaming. Another great list from the gamesradar team
  • talleyXIV - April 13, 2013 10:45 a.m.

Ocarina of Time is top 5, so many ideas came from it.
  • BladedFalcon - April 15, 2013 11:50 a.m.

Not really, yes, it was important and it did bring new things, which is why on the list to begin with. But the main things that distinguish the game; The 3D and the exploration were done and popularized before by Mario 64 and the First Legend of Zelda game, both of which are in the list and deservedly above OoT.
  • talleyXIV - April 19, 2013 2:21 p.m.

That's fair, and by that logic I'd say Legend of Zelda would have to be up there because was there really a game like it at the time and did that game launch such a long running series?