• SausageLozenge - October 2, 2009 10:09 a.m.

We want the main stream to take games seriously, so we knock them when they try to be conceptual? Its weird to think that this guy knows how to market a game like Halo, but Microsoft got it wrong despite its 4.4 million pre-orders and then its additional 4 million copies sold the month after launch.
  • daemonwulfe - October 2, 2009 6:21 a.m.

Man, I kick myself in the ass for reading on through the article. I hope they don't pay this guy that much money to spew a crap article like projectile vomit. Gamesradar.com is supposed to be the place where people can get a fresh, behind the scenes and detailed look at what's going on in the world of gaming. Instead we have this asshole showing his jealousy at not being anywhere near as creative as the people who wrote some of these commercials. I hope this guy is an intern and I hope they get someone who can write articles worth reading. We should be getting unbiased, in-depth looks into what's on the scene instead of this guy.
  • daemonwulfe - October 2, 2009 5:52 a.m.

How did this guy get his job? The first commercial I can see as being inappropriate musically. The second I don't see as pretentious. It had nothing to do with PS2 but it wasn't pretentious. Does this guy even know what he's typing or just trying to use big words to sound smart?
  • PS360Rulez - October 2, 2009 5:13 a.m.

@samael love the halo story. Games combined with the books provide a very detailed universe for an FPS or any other game.
  • PS360Rulez - October 2, 2009 5:11 a.m.

I loved the mad world commercial
  • Romination - October 2, 2009 5:09 a.m.

@ allthegoodnamesweretaken soooo...you never want anyone to ever make a game ad ever again? Movies have been around for over a century and people still pitch things like this. hell, they pitch them WORSE. @ultimategamer555 he can't be a jackass, he's british
  • farsided - October 2, 2009 3:52 a.m.

Sabtos: I specifically remember showing the Halo 3 ads to people and them going, "Wow, that's so cool, when is this game coming out?" The only reason why I payed any attention to the new PoP and ended up playing it was because of its ad. The sole reason I ended up finding out about and watching Donny Darko was because of the Mad World Trailer. Making up some bs facts isn't going to make you sound smarter than the rest of us "losers". Here's a tip: until you get GR's dick out of your mouth, stfu.
  • OddWoN ER - October 2, 2009 3:10 a.m.

omg. its just rediculous how bad some ads are.. like that ps3 sixaxis one christ, whad did thatd do?
  • TheDecoy13 - October 2, 2009 3:08 a.m.

Although to an extent I agree that they are taking themselves a bit to seriously, some of the ads make me want to buy the games. There's pretentious, and then there's just a well made ad, and most of these are.
  • ultimategamer555 - October 2, 2009 2:50 a.m.

Seriously? you are seriously gonna tell us that these commercials are all up their own asses. This article is up its own ass. You take a shot at each of these games as if you hate them, and not only that but then the commercials you suggest were jokes, thats exactly what you dont want to do with a commercial, your basically telling them to say their game isn't that good but make up for it with boobs and beer? i usually dont have a problem with your or any one elses articles on here, but you are completely off. gaming is expanding and people are trying to make more complex and emotional commercials than BEER BOOBS AND BOMBS. seriously, you just made yourself seem like a primitive jackass.
  • Samael - October 2, 2009 2:40 a.m.

@TedDidlio Hear, hear! Sadly I think you and I are the only two people on this website who enjoy the Halo story. No offense to Mr. Meikleham, but unless this article was half kidding, well it...sucked.
  • JC182 - October 2, 2009 2:32 a.m.

i will admit that some of the halo ones are a little wierd
  • Sabtos - October 2, 2009 2:26 a.m.

Besides, those adds go a long way in ruining any of my original sentiment towards the songs they contaminate.
  • Sabtos - October 2, 2009 2:23 a.m.

I can't believe all you losers here defending those lame ass ads for Halo and Gears. Hell even admitting you like them at all is pathetic. Number one, wake up call, nobody bought those games because of those ads. I've only seen two of those ads myself, total. People bought those games, especially Halo, because of other people. Halo was a party game, 007 for people late to the party. Gears was ushering in the next gen. New console + bloody as hell cleary = must buy. Number two, what the hell did those commercials have anything to do with those games?! If anyone bought those games because of those commercials, you have to seriously realize that those people would have been outrageously disappointed. Those ads are 110% irrelevant, contradictory, unrelated, etc to the games they were created to represent. Because the people behind them had loads of money they were artistic? Meaningful? Stfu. If they had something to do with representing real life organizations or events as opposed to teletubby reminiscent enemies, then maybe I'd concede the point.
  • TedDidlio - October 2, 2009 2:01 a.m.

Pretty good article, but I take issue with the constant harping on the Halo stories that I hear constantly in game media. I find them to be extremely engaging, interesting, ESPECIALLY if you've read the extremely well written books.
  • TheGiaour - October 2, 2009 1:48 a.m.

Dear God I wonder if some of the guys in charge of making these ads tasted shit in their mouths for kissing their own asses so much.
  • Tymiegie - October 2, 2009 1:31 a.m.

I think it's pretty funny how many people are being offended by an aritcle that is supposed to be humorous (So it isn't entirely serious). And yes, I also think that most of these ads are really cool. They also disappoint me cause watching these all in a row, I wish the games had a more solemn and reflective mood. :(
  • Hexar - October 2, 2009 1:30 a.m.

I would echo the sentiments of farsided and waynski1457 (Red Dwarf rules) Who cares if they are pretentious, sentimental, or "stupid solemn"? It seems this article has missed the point of advertising. Showing gameplay over and over and saying buy our game just doesn't cut it. The better job they do creating something to get you interested in the product, the better job their department has done. I don't think I laughed once at any of the how it should be advertised, and think that in almost all of the cases the real adverts were some of the better ones we have seen. Must be a slow week at GR.
  • coolbeans - October 2, 2009 1:13 a.m.

House how did you sneak into assassins creed without me knowing?
  • TwistedTinkerToy - October 2, 2009 12:37 a.m.

Halo takes itself way too seriously.