Take-Two has forgotten about GTA 5's story DLC. UPDATE: "We leave it to Rockstar"
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
UPDATE: Take-Two has now issued the following statement:
“Strauss misspoke during today’s call, as over a year ago Rockstar Games had said that they were exploring story mode content for Grand Theft Auto V. However, no further information has been released since. As always, we leave it to Rockstar Games to share information about their games when they’re ready.”
Ruh-roh, Take-Two's boss Strauss Zelnick seems to have no recollection of any GTA 5 story DLC. In a transcript of an earnings call, Zelnick says Take Two hasn't "discussed any story-based downloadable content", and flat out doesn't seem to remember it was ever mentioned or announced.
Here's the excerpt from the call:
Doug L. Creutz - Cowen & Co. LLC
When you had originally launched GTA V, I believe that you had said that there was going to be some story-based DLC content shipping eventually and obviously where your past (36:32) game launch. Is that still something that you have planned? And I'm sure you're not going to talk about timing but is there still something that's in the pipeline for you guys, eventually? Thank you.
Strauss H. Zelnick - Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
No, we haven't discussed any story-based downloadable content. We did talk about the Heists and they've been released.
Doug L. Creutz - Cowen & Co. LLC
But I am correct in remembering that you had talked about that around the launch of the game?
Strauss H. Zelnick - Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
We have different recollections.
Doug L. Creutz - Cowen & Co. LLC
Okay. Thank you.
It's pretty clearly mentioned here on Rockstar's own site, although that was for a 2014 release where, way back in December of 2013, this was said:
GTAV Story Mode Updates. For those ready to jump back into the story of Grand Theft Auto V, we have big plans for substantial additions in 2014 continuing Michael, Franklin and Trevor's action, mayhem and unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas.
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
More recently, in December of last year, Shawn Fonteno, who plays Franklin, said, "we're working on the DLC, downloadable content, for Grand Theft Auto 5 and that's real big. That's like first on my list to finish that up." That's in this video about the 6m30s mark:
Given that Rockstar seem to pretty much do whatever it wants, it's possible Zelnick has never talked about story DLC. Whatever's happened to it, the lengthy delay to heists is likely one of the reasons we've not seen a thing on it since 2013. Fonteno's mention suggests work was at least scheduled at the turn of the year, but whether or not it happened is another thing altogether.

I'm GamesRadar's Managing Editor for guides. I also write reviews, previews and features, largely about horror, action adventure, FPS and open world games. I previously worked on Kotaku, and the Official PlayStation Magazine and website.


