Reggie Fils-Aime says that a digital E3 “doesn’t sound all that compelling”
The retired Nintendo of America president states that the event is “truly magical for the global games business.”
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Reggie Fils-Aime, the now-retired president of Nintendo of America, has discussed how he feels about E3 going digital this year.
On the topic of digital gaming events, Reggie stated that the ESA’s decision to make E3 2021 digital - which he agrees is the right one - “doesn’t sound all that compelling” to him in a podcast recording with Gamertag Radio.
The video game icon elaborated by proposing that “the platform holders need to find a way digitally to enable their fans, their players to experience the content because that’s the key for E3, right? The ability to be playing The Last of Us Part 3 for the first time, or to play that next Breath of the Wild game for the first time, or to play the next great game coming from the new amalgamation of all of the Xbox Studios.” He continues with “to play for the first time is what’s magical.”
“But what I’ve read, doesn’t go down that path,” he says as he reflects on the ESA’s plans for this year “and if you don’t have all of these different elements working together, so all of the big announcements, the hands-on, the opportunity in a well defined time frame to have all of these announcements. I think that’s what’s key to a successful E3 in the future, and candidly, if the ESA doesn't do it - then other people will.”
This is exactly what fellow gaming industry figure Geoff Keighley did last year in the form of Summer Games Fest 2020. Following on from his last statement, Fils-Aime also added that “Geoff did something provocative last year with his summer of games event, he’s going to do something similar this year.”
When asked if he prefers in-person or digital events, Reggie explained that “I look forward to a day where I can be at an event that I can mingle with fans, other executives [...] I look forward to the day of in person-conferences and events. So much happens in the sidebar conversation, or something that was unplanned, a meal that hastily comes together or a meeting at the hotel bar, these are what are part of what makes those experiences so special and I miss those”
The news that E3 would be a digital-only event this year broke earlier this month. In a statement provided to GamesRadar, the ESA stated that “we can confirm that we are transforming the E3 experience for 2021 and will soon share exact details on how we’re bringing the global video game community together.”
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
The next E3 will be held around June time and will be the first one since 2019 as E3 2020 cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

After studying Film Studies and Creative Writing at university, I was lucky enough to land a job as an intern at Player Two PR where I helped to release a number of indie titles. I then got even luckier when I became a Trainee News Writer at GamesRadar+ before being promoted to a fully-fledged News Writer after a year and a half of training. My expertise lies in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, cozy indies, and The Last of Us, but especially in the Kingdom Hearts series. I'm also known to write about the odd Korean drama for the Entertainment team every now and then.


