• noobeater - May 8, 2009 4:40 p.m.

aint played either, BUT.. game franchises have always done it, you point out bioshock 2 may ruin the overall experiance but banjo tooie, COD WaW, Resi 5 and many more have all kinda ruined my opinion of their earlier incarnations. But i still bought them ll as im ure many will for this. How bout we all disregard this and all other bad sequals to focus on getting rid of the real problem. The Wii.
  • throughironsights - May 8, 2009 4:23 p.m.

Is it just me or do all game critics from the UK love to be pessimist assholes?
  • scbyfn4evr - May 8, 2009 2:29 p.m.

Come to think of it.... Bioshock 2 would be kinda like having a Shadow of the Colossus 2, or Okami 2, and that would be laaaaaaaem.
  • cookie23q - May 8, 2009 12:31 p.m.

good article i still want bioshock 2 though the first one waz ACE!
  • Smeggs - May 13, 2009 1:02 a.m.

This is why I like DLC, it adds more content to an already great game without screwing it up like a disappointing sequel. Obviously Bioshock 2 will not be AS good as the origional, but I think its a little much to say its going to be terrible, dry and boring when nobody has really gotten a chance to play it yet. And who knows? seeing as how we've only gotten a few plot points of the main story it could wind up getting really deep like the first game. I could lump the main plot points of the first game together and it wouldn't sound to good either. "Hmm, big roaring robot monsters, crazy murderous deformed humans, special items that give you super powers and weapons and a creepy old otherworldly city...Is this Doom 4?"...Exactly.
  • Picnic1 - May 12, 2009 10:30 p.m.

The article is good. I like the comments about it. Although there have been many videogame sequels that are better than the first in the series, when I think of Bioshock 2 I think of Metroid Prime: Echoes, both sequels to games that are rich in atmosphere, tension, poignancy and a sense of discovery. I played very little of Echoes before being dissatisified in comparison with the first game. It just didn’t feel as polished and felt like the concept of dual worlds was meant to be the hook rather than the natural desire to explore. As far as I was concerned, the first game was an adventure game that happened to have a sci-fi setting to it. Dual worlds gives the sequel a more sci-fi feel full stop, putting off some people from whom ‘sci-fi’ isn’t always a selling point. The characters in the sequel also weren’t quite as satisfying looking. I see the same thing with Bioshock 2- it seems to be becoming more sci-fi looking. It starts to affect the balance of the game from something of a ‘gothic (well, art deco) horror. Unless you are making an out and out 'frag-fest' like Quake 3: Arena with no deep meaning, I think that it can be unwise to attach multiplayer and what may be gimmicky character changes to an idea like Bioshock. An increase in action isn’t necessarily always bad though- Some prefer James Cameron’s ‘Aliens’ to the slower pay off of Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien’. But I think that the first Bioshock game will definitely remain distinctly superior.
  • EricBratcher - May 12, 2009 6:19 p.m.

Late to the party, but here are my two cents. I was furious when they announced a sequel - like David, I said simply, "The story is done and it was phenomenal. Any attempt to extend it will break it." And I still stand by that statement. However, when I attended the live demo of the game, it took exactly 30 seconds for me to get all worked up and eager to get my hands on the game. Yes, the story elements are contrived. No, it won't be as good as the original. It simply can't be. Yes, the second game tarnishes the first a bit by its sheer existence. And yes, the RE4 to RE5 comparison is probably dead on. But I'll play it anyway. I just can't stay away.
  • solsunforge - May 12, 2009 4:05 a.m.

No element I dont think anyone is saying they shouldnt make it just that some wont play it . I will at least humour them and take a gander but if im forced to play a big daddy no way will I pay 60.00 for it. I will either wait for the price to come down or other means. To the writer who disliked bioshock for the reasons everyone likes it thats fine and your opinion but it was made the way it was for a reason and a purpose. The focus was on rapture and its twisted inhabitants not swimming around outside of rapture. I think that would detract majorly from the awesome breathtaking element of rapture.
  • Satanshadow94 - May 11, 2009 9:18 p.m.

So bioshock to is about the proto type bigdaddy, that makes sense but I heard something about it taking place ten years later that the first on the video???
  • azstrathack - May 11, 2009 7:49 a.m.

I agree 100 percent. There is so much great fiction out there and cyberpunk would have been a cool genre to adapt but just like a junky they want to feel that first high again, aint gonna happen!
  • theschwartzb - May 10, 2009 8:28 p.m.

Just to add though, I am REALLY looking forward to the sequel, after all, sequels definitely do not have to be terrible, and used solely to make money, they can be just as good and hopefully even better than the original (although I don't think this will be the case w/ Bioshock 2, although it will be a great game in my opinion).
  • theschwartzb - May 10, 2009 8:23 p.m.

I think the only truly disheartening flaw is the fact that you will be playing as a big daddy. Honestly, in Bioshock, you were just a regular guy (kinda) who was in a plane crash and found "refuge" in a giant, mysterious lighthouse. You started off the game not knowing what would happen to you, and that was one of the biggest elements of the game. Being a big daddy in Bioshock 2 will take that mystery, the fear, and the unknown out of the game quite a bit. As a big daddy, albeit an altered big daddy with more agility and plasmids, things become too easy. Its hard to be very scared, or care too much about the mysteriousnous of a new world when you can just punch your way through any obstacle, and burn your enemies to the ground.
  • Dorgles - May 10, 2009 8:03 p.m.

Why is that every time a new entry in a series of great games comes out, everyone goes ahead and assumes it sucks? I remember having this very same attitiude towards Brawl, Fallout 3 2008, and Fire Emblem 9; Only I liked each one just as much as its predecessors.
  • ZiegZeon - May 10, 2009 4:39 p.m.

I agree that the game is a bad idea, though I do like the idea of playing as a Big Daddy, something that should have been a DLC and a pure experience, i.e. no plasmids, slow, and should have been just you having to protect the little sister. But now that you are THE FIRST BIG DADDY EVAR, your suddenly better then the others. I think that the CONCEPT is sound (maybe START in rapture, or a revisit) but not the whole game.
  • Shane1403 - May 10, 2009 1:38 p.m.

Im sure this is going to be a great game but if you compare it to Bioshock it wont seem as good. they are obviously trying to give you more power and focusing less on the story and the fear factor and more on the fighting. it looks like a good game its less like bioshock 2 and more like they are giving you a taste of what the Big Daddies go through.
  • raidensnake - May 10, 2009 1:41 a.m.

I can see your doubts about Bio Shock 2, however I feel the endings of the 1st weren't enough, they didn't sow anything together and left me asking more questions than it answered. The sequel curse may occur but think about MGS series and how amazing MGS2 was, if it ended there I wouldn't have known who the patriots were! (something I waited 6 yrs to find out) then MGS4 came along and explained everything. I want to know what really made Ryan create Rapture and the early constructions of it. (Bio Shock in construction would be awesome- the optimism to complement and off set the horror we saw at its decay) Also how free and autonomous people made the decisions they made, to firstly join him in Rapture, then the chaotic choices afterwards. The whole ideological and philosophical roots of this need to be explained more deeply, which means returning to Rapture. I understand the concept of the 1st Big Daddy, almost like the biblical Adam making choices, he is in a world he does not know, but it came about because of his own indirect choosing. In addition the how and why the big daddy chooses to 'be' this creature and his interaction with the little sisters needs exploring. The game also needs to centre a lot more on a complex choice system as it will bring a sense of humanness to the game rather than should we harvest this girl or that girl. This may go some way to explain why the polis of Rapture made their disastrous choices in the first place out of the quest for human perfectibility. Perhaps it will take until a Bio Shock 3 to really tackle these issues. Also Tenenbaum's character development will come as a welcome extra. Can't wait to see what is store this Autumn!
  • Zeipher - May 9, 2009 10:52 p.m.

But you're missing the point. Bioshock isn't perfect. It was good, but lets stop pretending its the "end all" video game. The weapons lacked imagination, Andrew Ryan's death was unnecessarily forced to try and fortify an "OMG" plot-twist that really fell short (you're a pawn, so I'm gonna use my power over you to beat myself death?...okayyy), the final boss was weak and not epic at all, and the game lacks any replay-ablity. Great series > great games. The developers should want to make their series legendary, not hesitate because the first one was "too good" to improve on. If Bioshock was perfect, then they should leave it be. Its not. Therefor, continue the series.
  • Whattehfock - May 9, 2009 10:35 p.m.

True dat.
  • Wave360 - May 9, 2009 9:58 p.m.

Thats exactly what i was thinking! I played Bioshock a year later than everyone and it is one of the best games ive ever played! I wish Bioshock would end and the creators would go on and make something similarily enticing, mature, gruesome, touching, twisted, etc. as Bioshock but not make it Bioshock! I will still get this but i wish they would leave Bioshock as it was and make a new IP. If something is perfect dont ruin it!
  • magicwalnuts0 - May 9, 2009 8:20 p.m.

looks better than first one. There was something extremely mournful about the Big Daddy's but due to lame game mechanics they were just semi-bosses dropping resources when you kill them. Also the little sister aspect of this new one is FAR superior to the first one. Also the villain is intriguing, although the villian/s in Bioshock were really good.