• LEGOMatrix - October 25, 2013 7:03 a.m.

When 3D is without glasses and viewable from any angle it will properly catch on. Holographics hopefully!
  • GOD - October 24, 2013 11:30 p.m.

I like 3D, but my main problem is at the theater the glasses just bug me and I'm looking at such a big screen that I usually block everything else out and and I'm seeing into the depth of the footage so it doesn't seem any less 3D without the glasses. I have a 3DS but the 3D can be a little too finicky with making it look nice but not go into weird focus from how I'm holding it. I really do like it on some games though, and I feel the same way about Pokemon having things that you think will look great in 3D and then realize after that the light isn't on... I think it is due to frame rate sometimes though, as normal battles are in 3D, but double battles are not. Still it's odd how the overworld isn't, and more importantly, that the pokedex doesn't have an option to look at a pokemon in fullscreen with 3D!
  • imagremlin - October 24, 2013 5:45 p.m.

I don't really care for 3D movies, but 3D games are a whole different ballpark. Resistance 3 and Killzone 3. Large 3D screen. Move+Sharpshooter. There are few gaming experiences that I would qualify as "ultimate" and those are included in the list.
  • Slayer11496 - October 24, 2013 3:36 p.m.

I played Shadow of the Colossus for the first time on the PS3 HD collection, with the 3D turned on. It was very impressive to get the full scale of the vistas and the giants themselves. So far, my favorite use of 3D
  • Pruman - October 24, 2013 1:38 p.m.

I could have cared less about the 3DS until I actually got one. Now I always play with the 3D on, usually maxed out. I'll be pretty sad if it goes away.
  • Balaska - October 26, 2013 5:19 a.m.

You could have cared less? So you cared a little? http://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/tv-and-culture/10-common-sayings-wrong.htm
  • P0ck3tC1am - October 24, 2013 12:24 p.m.

Ain't no 3d like Disney 3D.....Where as the movies, it's just a nice picture. Growing up back then you think "3D!? this shit better jump out at me." Bundle those extra cameras to give the effect.....then i will buy 3D.
  • michael-edmund-kelly - October 24, 2013 10:03 a.m.

When people see how much better Full HD 3D TV broadcasts look than 4K 2D, on TVs that aren't half the size of their living room walls : That's when 3D will be cemented into everyday life. Same data rate, more immersive experience.
  • MeanwhileGuy - October 24, 2013 10:03 a.m.

Personally, I love 3D, and I have no idea why the general public have chosen to abandon it so readily, especially after Avatar, Tron, Hugo and the like proved it can be used to great effect. If I could afford a 3DTV I'd use the function as often as I could, because from the demos I've experienced, the picture quality is amazing, and the sense of depth is nigh-on perfect with the upper-range TV's. The thought of playing something like Killzone or Uncharted 3 in 3D is almost to make me salivate. I think we can blame people's (wrongly) negative views on 3D on crappy converted films like Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans, which chose the quick and cheap option instead of making a 3D film from the ground up, and as such were dark and smudgy as a result. That and people constantly bitch about the glasses. I also have regular glasses that I have to wear 3D specs on top of, and you don't see me complaining. As a last point: I was lucky enough to see The Hobbit last year in 48 frames per second, in 4K resolution 3D. And it was gloriously goddamn pretty. If Avatar's 3D was like looking through a window, The Hobbit's 48FPS 3D was taking away the glass. I have literally never seen picture that clear and sharp, and with so much depth, not even when I saw The Dark Knight in IMAX. If people are choosing to ignore that, it's their loss.
  • shawksta - October 24, 2013 9:35 a.m.

For the record, im still enjoying games on the 3DS that do 3D well, Mario and Luigi Dream Team looks great and has neat depth with it on, while other games like Pokemon X and Y are clearly not meant to have it but it shoved in anyway. Then we have Super Mario 3D land that otherwise uses the 3D itself in certain puzzles, THAT is what we need more of.
  • BladedFalcon - October 24, 2013 10:02 a.m.

You dont really need the 3D at all for those puzzles though. Solved myself just fine with the 3D off. Which goes to highlight the problem: it slightly enhances at best, but never accomplishes anything that couldn't be enjoyed otherwise.
  • JarkayColt - October 24, 2013 10:40 a.m.

The 2DS makes this sort of depth-puzzle implementation even harder now as well. Apparently, the Zelda team didn't know about the 2DS until part way through development, so they had to go back and make sure all the puzzles in ALBW were still solvable in 2D. Kinda makes you wonder why they even bothered in the first place if they can't even commit to it themselves anymore.
  • shawksta - October 24, 2013 noon

True
  • Doctalen - October 24, 2013 9:34 a.m.

I find it hard to give up on a concept that I never enjoyed enough to support. The only time I can remember enjoying anything in 3D was Avatar. I remember it being fantastic, but when I saw it again in 2D I found out that I didn't even remember its 3D experience. Avatar certainly did a nice job of bringing 3D to the public but it certainly doesn't suffer from not having it. On top of that I can't think of any other experience that compared to it. The biggest problem with 3D is that while the concept old (I've heard reports of attempts when the film industry was still young) the technologies for the most part aren't that innovative. Very few actually try to improve on the lackluster attempts of their "ancestors". Then to make things even worse, if a revolutionary technology were proven to be successful, our biology and physics limit it's success. The only real way to make 3D work well is to use holograms. But since we don't have Star Trek tech, the closest to holograms is light being sent into special glass to give the illusion of depth
  • abetterbard - October 24, 2013 8:50 a.m.

Thought I'd stop in and give my Two-Cents with a more optimistic view of 3D and the future. I run a tiny Indie Studio with an industry vet friend of mine (http://www.greenwoodgames.com). Right now we are working on a game exclusive to the Oculus Rift even though the hardware isn't even out for commercial release yet. Why? Because the hardware is -that- good. The Oculus Rift, even with it's initial growing pains with low-resolution and small title library of experience is the real deal. You aren't looking at a flat screen that has depth, you aren't able to take your eyes "off the 3D" to be back in the normal world - when you are in the Rift you are truly immersed in the game. Things will only become better as the consumer version with it's 4k resolution screen. There have been plenty of naysayers throughout the years against VR and to be honest they have the right. It was crap - it didn't deliver any of the dreams and visions we had of a future filled with exciting new experiences where we would be in the game. It's also possible that even the Oculus Rift won't exactly satiate your VR palette, but as someone who owns and develops for one I can promise you with the support of gamers and the gaming community the Oculus Rift is the first step in a LONG line of compelling and quite frankly RIDICULOUSLY awesome experiences to come. I strongly encourage anyone that is interested in VR or is on the fence about even caring to take look around youtube - watch people using it, see the excitement in their eyes for the first time, watch MINDS BE BLOWN! The future is here; -please- consider welcoming it with open arms. http://www.oculusvr.com
  • tomasspipass - October 24, 2013 9:03 a.m.

I tip my hat to you Sir
  • Shinn - October 24, 2013 7:55 a.m.

We're giving up on 3d because most people either don't like it or can't stand it. I'm a little of both.
  • tonypang - October 24, 2013 7:35 a.m.

That wasn't how things turned out for Virtual Boy…
  • mafyooz - October 24, 2013 7:06 a.m.

I've wasn't a fan of 3D in the 80s (apart from the Tomytronic handhelds, they were cool) and that hasn't really changed, but just as a side note I've noticed a few people mentioning holograms in the comments and wondered if anyone else remembers the Hologram Time Traveller arcade game, with the weird holographic cowboy? It wasn't a great game from what I recall, but from a technical point of view it was pretty damn incredible at the time and I've never seen anything quite like it since.
  • tomasspipass - October 24, 2013 6:37 a.m.

the youtube occulus rift reaction videos of people on virtual rollercoasters and shark attacks make me chuckle :)