• jmcgrotty - August 23, 2011 3:24 a.m.

PFFFTH Wrong, wrong, wrong. The answer is NES. You could take a NES out of the box, not plug it in and not put any games in and it would still be the best system Nintendo ever made.
  • jackthemenace - August 23, 2011 2:18 a.m.

This came out 3 years before I was BORN. I have honestly never even been within 100 meters of a SNES, but I can see the impact it must have amde. And what do you mean there are no games with soundtracks that'll last longer than 2 years? Are you seriously suggesting the SNES legacy isn't STILL ALIVE? (See what I did there? INSERTION.)
  • DecoyOctorok - August 23, 2011 4:27 a.m.

Oh man, you're making me feel ancient. I was 7 when the SNES came out and playing Super Mario World for the first time completely blew me away. With the exception of the Dreamcast, no new console has really wowed me the way that the SNES did. It was just such a massive jump up from the NES.
  • Darkwun - August 23, 2011 2:04 a.m.

loved my snes but gotta be the n64 for me. was nintendo's first step into true mature gaming, 3D zelda, turok (when it was still good)of course goldeneye and PD, f zero x, mario 64... we were late coming back from lunch every day in school because we were all camped around my tiny 14 inch tv playing 4 player goldeneye/perfect dark/ quake 2/turok rage wars and my house was the place to be. we had a somewhat similar experience with the snes playing nba, but was never late for school. was only ever late when playing micro machines 98 te on the megadrive due to the 4-8 player which i think was key
  • kluivertus - August 22, 2011 11 p.m.

Funny: My list would have been pretty quick to read. Mario World F-Zero Chrono Trigger Mario Kart Donkey Kong Country Link to the Past Super Metroid And that would be that
  • codystovall - August 22, 2011 9:42 p.m.

While I love cartridges my vote goes to gamecube. It would be ds if there were more original games.
  • DecoyOctorok - August 23, 2011 4:32 a.m.

I also love the Gamecube. People like to hate on it but I'll put the Gamecube's AAA exclusives up against the PS2's any time.
  • KdotLo - August 22, 2011 9:40 p.m.

Those songs brought a tear to my eye. I wish I could go back to those days :(
  • batmanboy11 - August 22, 2011 9:39 p.m.

LOVE the SNES! Great article, too
  • solidsnake_5552000 - August 22, 2011 9:38 p.m.

The Snes is the best console ever made!! No loading screens, no post-release patches to fix lazy design bugs, no greedy developers cashing on dlc, no day lunch dlc or worse paying for dlc already on disc, no RROD or YLOD, no 12 year old annoying brats on live or psn. It was just perfect!! I remember all those long hours playing super metroid (Best game ever), super punch out and yoshi's island. Best console ever. PD: I'm not against dlc. There's some great dlc which expands the gaming experience but there's some other which should have been part of the game but developers just give you an unfinished product forcing you to buy their dlc to get the complete experience. That just sucks!!
  • YamiJoey - August 23, 2011 6:02 a.m.

No online at all. Bugs stayed, and to play with friends it was split-screen when TVs were only 30" if you were MAD rich. The SNES is good, but online >>> not online for a million and one reasons.
  • solidsnake_5552000 - August 22, 2011 9:27 p.m.

The snes brings me so fond memories. It is the best console ever made. I remember all those hours playing super metroid (best game ever), super punch out, biker mice from mars, yoshi's island and NBA jam. Those were the golden years of my gaming!!
  • spencertucksen - August 22, 2011 9 p.m.

It was a good article, though I personally prefer the N64 to all Nintendo gaming systems.
  • Thequestion 121 - August 22, 2011 8:50 p.m.

Great Top 7 and even though I wasn't around to fully appreciate the SNES, I played enough of it to see how special it was.
  • Zeos - August 22, 2011 8:40 p.m.

I agree with all of that and still regard The SNES as the best system.
  • BlackElement17 - August 22, 2011 8:37 p.m.

Good feature to go out on.
  • Lolwarf - August 22, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Earthbound wasn't a super-hit, unfortunately.
  • BladedFalcon - August 22, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Definitely no arguments there. The SNES is by FAR the best Console Nintendo has ever made. And honestly? The best it will ever make, i can't see them ever topping it, specially not with how they have been for the last decade.
  • izzyisyourgoblinfriend - August 22, 2011 8:29 p.m.

Reading through the Top 7 brings back fond memories of my SNES. Good stuff, man.
  • LoganDeckard - August 22, 2011 8:24 p.m.

Coming from someone who's first console was a Super NES, these are all pretty solid points Brett. Good to see your bad-ass career is ended on such a high note. Everybody's gonna miss you man Don't forget it