Topics

Top 7

• luke-mcardle - September 18, 2014 10:47 a.m.

Penance ffx
  • Solinarius - August 29, 2014 4:44 a.m.

System Shock 2, Body of the Many. Shodan is definitely among the best of antagonists ever made, but they botched the hell out of the final fight, against her.
  • abdoulaye-fall - July 22, 2014 1:11 a.m.

Shao kahn not badass enough? You obviously didn't watch the armageddon intro movie.
  • MetaKnightmare83 - June 21, 2014 1:20 p.m.

I'm probably going to be the first and only one but Axel Gear from "Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures" for the Genesis/Mega Drive was WAY more fun of a battle than the final boss, King Gedol. But I think that would make Axel more of a regular boss than a mini-boss, wouldn't it?
  • matthew-lawrence - May 10, 2014 11:19 p.m.

Number one is obviously Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls. While you could argue they aren't technically mini-bosses, they're definitely not the end game boss. Nothing defines your list more than they do. The fight against them is the greatest and most frantic boss fight ever encountered and the feeling of success as Super Ornstein goes down is overwhelming. To be honest though almost every boss fight in Dark Souls is better than the final one. Yet to miss ALL Dark Souls bosses on your list truly renders it a null and void list. The Belfry Gargoyles, The Four Kings, Centipede Demon, The Gaping Dragon and Sif are all mini-boss battles that should be on your list instead of most of these.
  • Kasaix - May 9, 2014 8:27 a.m.

Blockheads from Okami. Simply because you need to record them to actually win. You headbutt them, then hit the weak points that appear in order. But they're fast as hell. They suck! But they're way more difficult than any boss. Except maybe Tobi's races, which are pure annoying.
  • scott-corsaut - March 27, 2014 6:22 a.m.

The Poison Ivy fight in Arkham Asylum
  • ryanjohnson - March 26, 2014 3:18 p.m.

Jecht from FFX versus whatever the god thing you were invincible for was.
  • MetaKnightmare83 - June 21, 2014 1:31 p.m.

Yu Yevon and, yes, Jecht was. I think the thing I hated most about Yu Yevon was the fact that it required no real strategy and the permanent Auto-Life just made me angry.
  • jivago-chaves - March 26, 2014 1:09 p.m.

In Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, The fight against Samuel is a lot better than the final boss.
  • skullbaron - February 18, 2014 10:29 a.m.

MK4 - goro FF7 - emerald weapon
  • charles-hillman - January 29, 2014 10:04 p.m.

Not truly a "Mini-boss" but in Golden Sun, the optional boss, "Dullahan" which could actually use your own strength against you. You charge up your Djinn for a mega-attack and he uses them to use that attack against you before you can, leaving you to re-charge them and hope he doesn't hit you that quickly next time.
  • ivan-lopez - January 20, 2014 2:52 p.m.

Firefly of Arkham Origins should be a honorable mention in my book.
  • Asoka99 - December 17, 2013 6:43 p.m.

How about Deathstroke in Arkham Origins. That was my favorite fight all game.
  • HEELHousell - May 23, 2013 1:52 p.m.

What? No love for Mr. Freeze in Arkham City?
  • alecbeals - May 22, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Does anyone else think Belial, Lord of Lies was a better boss than Diablo him/herself in Diablo III?
  • codystovall - May 21, 2013 8:56 a.m.

I like the last boss of bioshock.
  • ObliqueZombie - May 21, 2013 8:53 a.m.

That Big Daddy. What is that? I don't remember ever fighting that one in the screenshots, and I've even seen it in the promotional shots on Steam and Xbox. What does it DO?! Great list, Mr, Houghton. I love me a tough mini boss fight, and Dark Souls is full of them.
  • N0Scarfs - May 21, 2013 7:36 a.m.

What about Ninja Gaiden's Alma? I always considered her a miniboss, but maybe she's a boss. Way better than Murai (was that even the end boss? who cares). To me, she will always be the epitome of a boss battle. Beyond frustrating, but not because she's cheap, because she's incredibly fast and ridiculously powerful and you're not (yet). Once I defeated her, 4 hours and 2 controls after starting that battle, I've never felt so powerful.
  • sliponshoe83 - September 3, 2014 3:41 a.m.

Agreed. I thought she should be in the list, too...