• Abe504 - April 20, 2010 9:16 p.m.

I must be the minority, but i almost never look at the manual. I care about the whats being displayed on my tv.
  • oryandymackie - April 20, 2010 7:33 p.m.

Think about it - this is Ubisoft. I swear they've planned this ever since the original Assassin's Creed. Allow me to explain: The first AC had a mandatory tutorial the player was forced to go through. It was horrific. Horrific. Horrific for a first time player, and horrific for the long-time player who doesn't need the tutorial when he's just starting the game over again after completion!
  • RebornKusabi - April 20, 2010 6:22 p.m.

I miss the days of awesome Instruction Manuals... seriously, Rockstar and Blizzard have consistently had ****ing amazing instruction manuals that both told you how to play AND explain some of the game's story before you even touched the game itself.
  • Nashalot - April 20, 2010 6:22 p.m.

The Journey....I can almost remember it as if it was yesterday as I'd get on the bus with my little 'Chips' bag and quietly strip off the cellophane and open the game box. Reading the manual page to page to the point where, at one time I missed my stop, knowing that my time was well spent. In my uneducated opinion Ubisoft recent games dont have much in their manuals anyway and are dead boring though happy to be proved wrong.
  • Telephis - April 20, 2010 6:19 p.m.

I really hate to see them go but I knew it was only a matter of time.///
  • sleepy92ismypsn - April 20, 2010 5:55 p.m.

i have around 100 manuals and i probably only looked through 10 i better get to work
  • KnightDehumidifier - April 20, 2010 5:16 p.m.

No respect for the back of the manual notes section? That mysterious adding of lines that you once jotted down codes for stuff when you were a child that are completely moot in an age of the Internet?
  • IHateMakingUserIDs - April 20, 2010 5:14 p.m.

This is just another step towards everything being download only. It will be a sad sad world when there are no hard copy games available...
  • batman5273 - April 20, 2010 5:46 p.m.

did anyone else notice "Foreign" was spelled incorrectly in the picture?
  • JADENkOTOR - April 20, 2010 5:16 p.m.

I will flip shit if companies do away with the game manuals. They are WAY too important to the overall gaming experience to the point that the weight of the box doesn't even feel right without them.
  • aguilanthony - April 20, 2010 5:03 p.m.

I loved MGS4's manual, it taught you how to play through comic form and a giant headed Otacan. GTA ones were great but the one in GTA IV wasn't as entertaining as SA or VCS booklets.
  • reverandglass - April 20, 2010 4:58 p.m.

all I have left of sonic the hedgehog on the master system is the manual. While I rarely read manuals, unless i'm on the bus home from the game shop, the experience would be incomplete without one. What next? no box, just a plastic sleeve. Then what? no art work on the discs?!!!!
  • BoondockSaint54 - April 20, 2010 4:56 p.m.

This is so stupid. I hate the idea of this.
  • Tobli - April 20, 2010 4:38 p.m.

I hope the publishers who ditch manuals will at least have some for certain special editions.
  • garnsr - April 20, 2010 4:24 p.m.

Having to go into the game to read the manual kind of sucks. At that point, I'd probably just look for a FAQ to get whatever I needed to know. And it's always cool to get an instruction book these days that has art, and color, once upon a time it meant you were playing a game by the big boys, but Sega stopped doing color in the Genesis days, and most other companies have had boring books forever.
  • 510BrotherPanda - April 20, 2010 3:58 p.m.

I purposely don't buy used games unless it has the manual. It's weirdly important, an the box doesn't feel complete without it. It's better than onscreen tutorial for sure.
  • Spacegrass - April 20, 2010 3:49 p.m.

I hope Rockstar doesn't do away with manuals, the fake ads in the GTA manuals were awesome. I suppose the world will be a safer place without me reading the manual while driving home from the game store though.
  • MidSnacker - April 20, 2010 3:46 p.m.

Mmm... I like that smell.
  • Ensoul - April 20, 2010 7:31 p.m.

@510BrotherPanda: Same here, unless it's something I really want and is hard to find. I really hate this idea, I always read the manual, part of the tradition when ever I got a new game. i never wrote in the Notes area though, seemed wrong to me for some reason. Getting rid of manuals to save the environment bah, cash grab and nothing more. Side note: EA typically had really disappointing manuals.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - April 20, 2010 7:22 p.m.

I effing love that new smell you get from the manual, I get high off that! One thing I hate about some manuals however is when they're not in colour! Black and white game manuals are boring game manuals. ReCaptcha: begs photographs (is peaches geldof around?)