• BhazotheMad - February 27, 2012 3:16 p.m.

I really wanted to like Fallout 3. Really bad. I love how true to the original it is. But. Its supposed to take place like 200 years after the war, right? So why does every building have light? Why does every toilet/sink/drinking fountain have water? After 200 years, grass and trees would have grown back, and the sky wouldn't be so hazy. And that's just the immersion breaking details in the world, not touching the fact that rpgs shouldn't play like FPSes. Or the fact that the characters are boring and forgettable. Oh, and your perception should highlight traps. Making the player look for a thin line in a dark tunnel isn't an rpg, cause it ignores the character's attributes. And putting doors that "NEED A KEY, UNPICKABLE! HURR DURR" annoy me, my thiefy characters should be able to pick any lock, even if it requires a 100% in skill. Sure, let me get the key from the person in the quest, but its just annoying to basically be told, "Well, you might have been sinking all of your points into this skill, but you don't get to use it." Oh, and I hate when monsters scale with you. But, that's one thing that fallout does ok, cause, while noticable, its not as bad as most games I play. Altogether, I keep playing this game, cause I want to love it so bad, but the first 2 were far better.
  • Ravenbom - February 21, 2012 11:33 a.m.

"and the largest ever recorded was Russia's Tsar Bomba, which was designed at 100 kilotons (but was scaled back to 50)." I believe that the Tsar Bomba was MEGATONs, not kilotons. The other bombs mentioned were kilotons but the bigger bombs we learned to make were Megatons, like the town in Fallout 3. You should do an article on Mass Effect. They make it sound all science-y but lowering the mass of an already (in terms of space) low-mass spaceship shouldn't really help all that much and still doesn't get around the universal speed limit of light.
  • FlyinMachine - February 21, 2012 12:55 p.m.

What if it lowers your mass so much that you weigh LESS than light? Hence the obvious FTL drives. Eezo's one hell of a drug, man. Still, would love to see something on Mass Effect, as well!!
  • TheHolyHandGrenade - February 20, 2012 6:55 a.m.

TROLLS be here
  • Fiirestorm21 - February 19, 2012 9:27 p.m.

Heh, pretty sure it's more than 65 pounds. But good article. Good series in general; looking forward to future entries.
  • MexicAntista - February 19, 2012 10:48 a.m.

I really enjoy these articles. Info-tainment!
  • joabbuac - February 18, 2012 5:12 p.m.

Deus Ex would be a good series for this
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - February 18, 2012 4:12 p.m.

Ah excellent topic I love it!
  • PevMaster - February 18, 2012 5:44 a.m.

Good article, but a few errors in it. First of all, at 'the height' of the Cold War, Eastern Europe had already been lost to the USSR at the end of World War Two. Secondly, 2077 was the date of the America-China nuclear war, Fallout 3 was set 200 years later in 2277. And finally Fallout 3 is the Fallout game with most Stealthboys. They're very hard to find in New Vegas (I only found about 15 altogether in my two playthroughs). Other than that, good article.
  • Fox_Mulder - February 18, 2012 7:09 p.m.

I think what he meant about time period was the spirit of the 1950s and '60s. You know like the tunes and the old-style of the world and the ads, the fact that everyone who had one was listening to the radio. No doubt he knew that Fallout 3 was set in 2077, I just think he meant the spirit of the '50s and '60s. Without all the laser and plasma weapons and the Power Armor and robots.
  • Andrew Groen - February 18, 2012 9:21 p.m.

Thanks for the clarifications. With topics as dense as these it's easy to focus too much on the complex science and screw up the fiction.
  • warren-miller - February 18, 2012 3:38 a.m.

Small typo on the Tzar Bomb. It's original design was for 100 megatons (million tons of TNT ) energy yield. The soviets were afraid that much could crack the earth's crust. 100 kilotons is only 100,000 tons of TNT. Typical modern American warheads range from 1 megaton to 15megatons in yield.
  • Andrew Groen - February 18, 2012 9:33 p.m.

Thanks for clarifying that. Yeah, there's a pretty big difference between a kiloton and a megaton. But ironically they both "kill-a-ton" ayuckyuckyuckyuck! Hey, how come nobody's laughing?
  • CitizenWolfie - February 18, 2012 2:32 a.m.

Great article. Can't wait to see part two. I had always wondered if the Fat Man was feasible. I'm surprised it hasn't been included in Call of Duty as a Davy Crockett Killstreak. It also pleases me that the stealth suit (or material at least) is being developed, purely in terms of coolness. To be honest, so long as Mirelurks are not evolutionarily possible I'll welcome the wasteland. GARY!
  • ithurtstopoop - February 18, 2012 1:32 a.m.

could rad-roaches exist? and could I ride one to work?
  • Andrew Groen - February 18, 2012 9:22 p.m.

I'll call MIT tomorrow and see if we can't figure that one out for you.
  • Darree - February 18, 2012 1:12 a.m.

The Spanish Armada that was devastated by a storm, and showed itself to be technologically inferior and horribly mismanaged is not exactly a good analogue for a modern U.S. fleet. Which is basically the opposite of that. Great powers being able to overextend themselves still stands though, not that Iran is a threat though.
  • BladedFalcon - February 17, 2012 9:10 p.m.

I should add the that davy crockets used in MGS3 weren't exactly accurate though, because they were the size and used like a bazooka, essentially. Still, it's cool to know that even if in a bulkier form, they existed in real life ^^
  • RedHarlow - February 17, 2012 8:07 p.m.

Come on now, Gametrailers.com has done 9 videos on the science of video games called...The Science of Games. Including a Fallout video. They even got Dr. Michio Kaku for the videos.
  • BladedFalcon - February 17, 2012 9:07 p.m.

...So what? Isn't GR allowed to make their take on it? And the article is well written and entertaining regardless.