We Recommend

• FOZ - December 17, 2011 11:36 a.m.

I don't understand how gamesradar gave Human Revolution a 10, and then like every other site in existence, completely ignored it when awards came around. It's even more baffling because the same site that called it a "worthy successor" also called the first Deus Ex the "best PC game of all time." At least MW3 wasn't nominated in its place, but the way everyone ignores this game makes no sense.
  • Viklandian - December 17, 2011 1:12 p.m.

True, the nominations seem fairly Autumn-centric... Then again, can't say for sure. Skyward Sword got a 9, so presumably they're using another system of measurement.
  • IChooseUAntistaMON - December 17, 2011 11:36 a.m.

Skyrim used to be GOTY but then it took a portal to the knee
  • DarthKato - December 17, 2011 11:22 a.m.

Portal 2 may be a good game, but Skyrim deserved to be Game of the Year.It is their list though, so whatever.
  • PevMaster - December 17, 2011 11:12 a.m.

That's just fucking ridiculous. First you call Portal the best game ever made, and now you're calling Portal 2 GAME OF THE YEAR! Sure, the Portal games are fun and polished puzzlers at best, but they're just TOO DAMN SHORT to be GOTY! Skyrim or Batman deserved Game of the Year you idiots! Portal 2 is TEN HOURS LONG. I'm dissapointed, Games Radar.
  • Cyberninja - December 17, 2011 12:49 p.m.

dude length doesn't matter in games if the game is great like portal 2 Skyrim is way to buggy to win and i cant even play it on ps3 until they patch it fully and then batman could be beaten in less time then portal if you play both single player and coop.
  • Gahars - December 17, 2011 4:09 p.m.

The Portal series are a perfect example of condensed greatness; they probably some of the most perfectly paced games ever made.
  • xarab4lyfex - December 17, 2011 5:01 p.m.

The irony is that you complain portal 2 is too short of a game to win, yet you think batman should win was also a short game itself.
  • CommanderCrunch - December 17, 2011 11:08 a.m.

It's nice to see Portal 2 get some recognition. It's getting kind of tiring seeing everyone constantly fellating Skyrim to no end. I think its a fun game, but other than the graphical upgrade it only offers nominal improvements over Oblivion. There are random encounters with dragons, dual wielding, and the radiant quest system which offers mostly shallow objectives and doesn't compare to the real sidequests. The main argument for it being so great is that it has hundreds of hours of playtime. That is true, but how many identical dwemer ruins and Draugr tombs can you trek through without getting sick of it. I've put about 90 hours into Skyrim and probably 15 into Portal, but Portal still sticks into my conscious much more than Skyrim does. This is without going into all the bugs. Skyrim is definitely a top 5 game, but I feel that it is outclassed by Dark Souls, Skyward Sword, Batman, and Portal 2. I haven't played the Witcher yet but it looks fantastic. /rant TLDR: Skrim is good but not the second coming of Talos.
  • Manguy17 - December 17, 2011 11:57 a.m.

when you put it that way you can pick games apart easily, "but other than the graphical upgrade it only offers nominal improvements" I could say the same thing about portal 2, minus the graphical update.
  • sweetchiliheat - December 17, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Not really surprised here. I knew either Portal 2 or Batman would take it. I can see why P2's universally appealing aspect would make it the best game for anyone, after all, the original took the GR's award for best game of all time for the same reasons. Haven't got around to Batman, Skyward Sword or Uncharted 3 yet (Xmas is coming!), so I really have no say on how great they are. I dabbled in the Witcher 2, but wasn't really absorbed by it. Skyrim however, I have countless hours in the console version with many more in the PC version thanks to mods. I'd give Skyrim the GOTY because, from my experience, there's not other game that so innocently consumes my life.
  • codystovall - December 17, 2011 10:18 a.m.

Im not mad....Im just disappointed.
  • codystovall - December 17, 2011 10:19 a.m.

Batman weeps...
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - December 17, 2011 10:16 a.m.

Tough, tough, tough this year. I think I would have chosen Skyrim, just because there's so much to do in it.
  • Mooshon - December 17, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Portal 2 eh? I own the first one but still can't bring myself to playing it. Must make the effort with them both winning best in show. Dark Souls for me. Never knew I wanted it until I read the reviews. Nothing in years grabbed me like that game. Incredible.
  • kit07 - December 17, 2011 9:24 a.m.

i was choked when B:AA beat out UC2 two years ago, but this year I was all prepared for B:AC to take top honours which I would have fully approved of. My vote would have been B:AC but P2 winning is fine by me too. co-op was a blast!
  • PBC13 - December 17, 2011 9:16 a.m.

I have no problem at all with Portal 2 winning this. It may not have been my first choice, but I can absolutely see why it won. For Arkham City and Gears 3 would have come ahead of it, but Portal 2 was one of the very best experiences of the year. No doubt.
  • ScaryEric - December 17, 2011 9:12 a.m.

I'm so glad you guys didn't just say skyrim because you didn't want to make a real decision like a bunch of others have/ will!
  • ScaryEric - December 17, 2011 9:14 a.m.

Not that skyrim isn't a great game. I have it and love it. It was the game I looked forward to most this year. And portal
  • Moondoggie1157 - December 17, 2011 8:55 a.m.

I have to agree with the decision, out of these nominees at least. Portal 2 was probably the best (I haven't played much yet, but so far so good). I was scared Skyrim would grab the reward, I'm really glad the bugs were taken into account. I haven't played the Arkham games yet, but I want to, as soon as I can afford them haha. Personally, I would have to give the award to Shadows of the Damned. Amazing controls, great music, massive boss battles, and above all, it had the balls to try (and succeed) at something new. Good chalice awards this year!
  • Canvas_Of_Flesh - December 17, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Shadows of the Damned is in my number two spot. I loved that game, but it just wasn't as all around perfect as Portal 2.