• fionnoh - September 15, 2008 9:31 p.m.

I used to downloaded movies, but never games. never knew you could... i'll be back in a mo...
  • ccm117 - September 14, 2008 6:29 p.m.

slapme7times raises a good point. Gamestop makes HUGE profits off of used games and not one penny goes to the devs or publisher. It's really close to piracy. I also agree with Bigpapa360. Art SHOULD be free. Chicago's big bean sculpture is free to the public, even though it cost it's creator thousands of dollars. Also, why isn't there a bigger outcry over music piracy? I mean, my new computer CAME with CD burning software. CD copying is just as "illegal" as video game piracy, right? It derails company profits too!sry for ranting 'bout the music industry had to get that off my chest. But still though for every game copier there are 1,000 honest buyers, espeically for big games like Halo 3. MOST PEOPLE HAVE ENOUGH MORALITY NOT TO BUY FROM GAME COPIERS. It is the COPIERS that go out of business, not the devs and\or the publisher. What about 3rd party controllers, huh? THOSE are perfectly legal and there is no public outcry against them. But they derive company profits just as much as copied games. Just somethings to think about
  • dino77cro - September 13, 2008 9:21 p.m.

read my comment, want to know if any1 feels the same... if u do. visit thepiratebay.com, the largest torrent site where u can frely download torrents, support P2P networks!!! P.S. doesnt it feel like the RIAA and the rest of them are acing like fashists???
  • Fatshit - September 13, 2008 7:11 p.m.

Alot of game manufactures create these great publicity comercials on tv to get us to buy them,..or a demo that they speacialy picked out wich sometimes isn't a true representation of the game you just shelled out 50 dollars for.this further explains the comment above...Anyone feel the same?
  • Fatshit - September 13, 2008 6:59 p.m.

Here's my opinion..I tried a pirated version of crysis and have since then bought 2 copies one thru steam hear recently..the ideah is to truly try it out before paying for it,..if the game dies down or just isn't worth it why should I be forced to pay $45-$60..I f the game is good you have earned my buisness.Thats that!!!
  • nemesiswes - September 12, 2008 6 p.m.

well i have downloaded a couple games in the past but only because i had already bought them on one of the consoles and so i figured why pay twice for the same game but one of the reasons for piracy i think is the price, DRM. I mean I buy atleast 4-6 games a year (usauly on the consoles)and if i were to buy those same games again on the pc it would cost anywhere from $200 to $300 without tax, but thats if there even on the pc. and the for the movies, same thing i eithier bought them at some point and lost or broke them or they were on vhs and i didnt want to buy them again on dvd. so i think that if you owned the movie or game at somepoint then i think it's ok if your just regetting it because they eithier broke or for games you just want to be able to play it on your pc aswell as your console or your console version got messed up, in the end though if you never bought whatever you pirated then it is theft, because it took time and money to make that game, movie or music and so in a way you stole that from them by getting it for free
  • xigageshi - September 12, 2008 2:21 a.m.

I look at it this way: think of how much you spend on food, gas, and bills in a given pay check. now think of what corners you would have to cut if whatever your employer sells was suddenly being stolen. even a fraction of it, how much of a product would have to be stolen for you employer to need to let you go? how much for the employer itself to have to close? and you can't even make a profit margins argument, because if a buisness weren't profitable, it would close. as much as big oil, big buisness and the government screws people on a regular basis, they are the exception in the buisness world, not the norm. if you've ever pirated a game, or even if you legally own some, look some of them up and see what happened to the companies that made them; if you pirated a game and its developer went belly up, you had a part in that, whether you like it or not. if you want free entertainment, watch non-cable TV or go to the library, if you want quality entertainment that has more value to you, prove that value by helping the people who made it pay their bills, so they can keep making games for us.
  • Ssoltero01 - September 12, 2008 1:36 a.m.

I think it's pretty funny how many of you are rationalizing your pirating exploits. I downloaded music and games in the past illegally. I have no qualms with the idea that what I did was illegal and there is absolutely no excuse for it. My favorite one was "If a person wasn't going to buy the game anyways, then it's not really effecting the company". That may be true in some small way, but the person is still responsible for their own actions. Here's a great analogy: Murder is illegal. But if I only kill vagrants with no family, friends, job, or possessions, then it's pretty much ok because it's not impacting anyone else. Right? Wrong. Pirating is illegal. There is no justification for pirating software of any type. Making excuses just so you feel better about what you did doesn't change the fact that the act was against the law.
  • brokenhelix79 - September 12, 2008 1:25 a.m.

I don't think we pay too high a price for the games we play. It's an expensive hobby, but it's one we choose to participate in. How can a person justify stealing (or pirating or copying or whatever the hell you want to call it) a game or a song or a movie simply because a corporation is making money from it? That's the case with EVERYTHING we spend money on, from that cereal we eat in the morning to the cars we drive to the clothes we wear to the toothpaste we brush our teeth with! It all comes from being in a capitalist society, and it should be important to everyone to be a responsible member of that society. And by "responsible", I don't just mean paying for the games we play or the songs we listen to, but educating ourselves in the quality of that product! With the ridiculous amount of information available on the internet and in magazines and on TV, there's no excuse for feeling suckered into spending your hard-earned money on a game that ends up being garbage. You can't possibly justify pirating a game because you don't want to waste money on something that isn't the masterpiece you expected it to be.
  • brokenhelix79 - September 11, 2008 11:45 p.m.

I play plenty of games, and I follow the industry pretty closely, but I have a hard time identifying with the person who gets outraged at only being allowed 3 installs of a particular game. How many times do you need to install the damn thing? I honestly can't remember the last time I installed a game more than twice, and those few exceptions were probably only because I bought a new computer. As for downloading games without paying for them, I've considered it, but never actually gone through with it. I agree that it's somehow easier to do it with music, but I've stopped doing even that. I just try to put myself in the shoes of the artist who has worked hard to create an intellectual product.
  • hot_shot90 - September 11, 2008 11:08 p.m.

The problem is that people know how to do it cuz they spend too much time on the computer. ha ha, its that simple. as its been said some where, its probably never going to stop as long as people find a way. any way the only way they can stop piracy is well find a better way to distribute them. I’ve seen people buy games for 71 bucks and then 5 months later give them away for practically nothing, money has no value for some people. BUT FOR SOME PEOPLE IT DOES (counting the developers). So the only solution is wait for you friends to waste their money or well simply stop playing games. I think I’ll do the first one
  • XAkira96 - September 11, 2008 10:12 p.m.

@CandiedJester Sorry, for the triple post, but Voltaire was a French philosopher who spoke out for freedom of speech in the mid 1700's
  • GamesRadarJoeMcNeilly - September 11, 2008 9:13 p.m.

A big part of Hollywood's problem is public perception. The public sees all these musicians, producers, actors, &c. on TV driving ferraris, wearing designer clothes, tossing money around like it grows on trees. So eff them, right? Like they need more money from me! The reality of course is quite a bit more nuanced, but as long as celebrities and other industry types flaunt their wealth while everyone else struggles to scrape by, people are going to feel justified in downloading stuff for free.
  • a9bejo - September 11, 2008 8:34 p.m.

"If at some point you’ve downloaded a pirated copy of a game (or anything else), do you think that what you did was ethical? If yes, why? If no, why did you do it anyway?" If you are someone who follows the news in the video game industry and you agree with the consequences I'm going to write in my answer to your third question, then yes: It is surly not as un-ethical as, let's say, stealing, but it is certainly hurting people, and unless you really lack the money, you should better buy the game. That said, the reason why I (mostly) buy software is only to a little degree because of ethics and other people. It is mostly for selfish reasons: I try to stay away from piracy because I think it is better for _me_, at least in the long run. For people who are not much into the gaming industry, I guess piracy is not un-ethical at all. I say this because most people I consider good and honest people are pirating software: My father is a teacher and a very good person, and he made an illegal copy of one of his tom waits records for me when I was a kid. My sister is a doctor. She has a illegal copy of Microsoft Office on her computer, and if I told her that this was illegal (and where she can download OpenOffice for free), she smiled and said "yes, but everyone is doing it". My other sister is a teenager of only 15, and despite her pirating music, I know she is a very good person. You have to consider that sharing of videos/music/games has been a normal part of peoples life for many generations. The fact that the new technologies have made media distribution so easy that it is now damaging the industry is a problem, but it does not make people's behavior suddenly more evil. People haven't changed. In fact, they are supposed to use the internet to share and distribute stuff. That's what the internet is good for. "Is there a difference between copying the property of an individual (like an indie game dev) and copying the property of a large company?" Well, you mean ethical and for me personally? I would say no. I don't really care if EA makes money or not, and I feel sorry if a small company needs to close down. But the main victims in my eyes are not the owners of the licenses but the gamers who play the games. And gamers are facing the problems of piracy no matter if it happens to evil EA or to some indie company. Like you, I don't know how many people who pirating games are lost sales. There are no real numbers on that, except for some fantasy numbers made up by desperate people (Crytek: "Every pirate who keeps playing our games is a lost sale"). So maybe EA is not hurt by piracy at all, or maybe they loose billions every year because of it. We don't know. But we do know that the fear of piracy is driving the industry crazy, and us gamers are the ones that have to suffer from this. "What do you think the long-term implications of wide-scale IP infringement might be?" What we already see today: The big players move to proprietary DRM systems, like consoles, subscription services and rental services. I do not really think that they do this only because of piracy - Renting games is much more profitable than selling games. Especially if the rental fees are the same price as the purchases, like with Spore. But piracy is certainly the top argument to market the whole DRM stuff, and they would have a hard time to get make this transition without that argument. Another very important result of piracy is that you cannot compete with the big franchises in price. Let's say a small developer creates a good shooter and sells it for $5 per license. Without piracy, this would be a very challenging offer. With piracy, a price of $0 for game A is not more or less expensive as a price of $0 for game B. I know this problem from other software markets. There are great free and open source software products that do not get a chance in the market because no one if paying for the proprietary stuff anyway. I do not think that PC Gaming itself is in any bad shape, by the way. Even if EA and Activision/Blizzard would suddenly disappear - As long as there are people playing on PCs, there will be developers making cool games for them. And there will always be people playing on PCs, since consoles are very restricted in freedom. PS: Your comment function is broken: If I press the "Add comment" button, nothing happens "goToSubmitComment()" is not executed. Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008072820 Firefox/3.0.1 On OS X it works fine: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070206 Firefox/3.0.1
  • grimm128 - September 11, 2008 7:36 p.m.

personally, the only pirated game i got, was conkers bad fur day, on an emulator, its basically the samething. SONGS on the other hand, i pirate all the time, its all the price of 75 cents, and as weird al yankovich, said, "us music makers really need another diamond encrusteed pool!"
  • SpongeJerk - September 11, 2008 7:13 p.m.

I'd never steel from Bungie though :D
  • SpongeJerk - September 11, 2008 7:12 p.m.

I have downloaded MANY games and I don't feel bad AT ALL! I hate big corporations. If it was a little home owned business I would never think of doing such a thing because me stealing would make a difference to them but it makes No difference to a rich company. They make enough money as it is. STOP COMPLAIING you rich bastards!
  • GamesRadarTylerWilde - September 11, 2008 6 p.m.

I'm glad to see so much discussion!
  • SOLIDSNAKE1983 - September 11, 2008 4:03 p.m.

My response to the music, game and film industry in regards to piracy is...TUFF LUCK!! If the companies didn't charge so much per unit for their products, there would be no need to pirate! (it costs 19p to make a DVD, 50p to make a CD and just over £1 to make a Blu Ray) And all this "you can't steal just because we're rich" MY HEART BLEEDS!! LOL
  • fuentesa - September 11, 2008 2:53 p.m.

I have to admit that I have in the past, illegally downloaded games. Most of the games however, were old. The biggest reason why I illegally downloaded games in the past is because of money. However, I consider DRM a big issue, and no.1 reason why people illegally download games. Also, why not give incentives to people actually bought the game other than just a copy and a plain 10-page manual?