• shawksta - November 12, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Im more surprised that its David out of all people that made this article, otherwise i wouldve assumed %100 that it was Henry if i didnt look at the author. Great article david, even though you pulled up games from the past to push your argument, you still made your point. People keep giving Nintendo a lot of shit but all they want is their games on their consoles. Flat out ignoring that Nintendo tries to push for new ideas out of their consoles, "Gimmicky" or not. Its all part of the fun factor of actually playing games and potential. Also i can see your Backpeddling and flat out loving Super Mario 3D World, the cycle repeats itself XD
  • BladedFalcon - November 12, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Dave never said Super Mario 3D World wouldn't be good, he just said it wasn't the 3D Mario people wanted, and nothing has changed to contradict that statement. Yes, the game looks better now, but it's still far from being nearly as exciting as Mario Galaxy or Mario Sunshine were back when they were revealed.
  • shawksta - November 12, 2013 11:04 a.m.

"First of all, Super Mario 3D World. It’s out very soon, and while I’m too deeply buried under embargo to tell you anything specific about it, you need to reserve time and money for it later in the month. It’s frustrating to try to sell Nintendo’s Christmas line-up without being able to talk about the best part of it, but suffice to say that I’ve been doing a lot of grinning, laughing, whooping and glassy eyed, blissed-out screen gazing lately. Just like I did when I first got a SNES and an N64." "Super Mario 3D World is one of the best games of the year. Objectively and subjectively, it’s one of the finest, most polished, most downright fun pieces of game design I’ve enjoyed since January." Sounds exciting to me Blade, you really need to stop trying to be party pooper, there's a difference between not being what you wanted and actually playing the game. There's almost always a transition between the 2. Like David back in 2009 using the SAME argument.
  • BladedFalcon - November 12, 2013 11:11 a.m.

I wasn't being a party pooper at all, did you see me actually bashing the game? I said, and that's also what Dave said back when, that it wasn't what most people wanted announced. That the game is exceeding expectations is a great thing of course, but it doesn't deny the previous statements any.
  • shawksta - November 12, 2013 11:29 a.m.

Mistranslation on my part then, sorry :P Yes, compared to Sunshine and Galaxy where it brung excitement when they were announced, 3D World didnt really gain momentum at all because of what it was and its not gonna change that moment, it happened. which otherwise held it back by already skeptical people. That fact will still hold true as you and David said. Personally i become more excited of a game when it exceeds expectations or becomes gradually better as the release date for the game comes closer. While it probably wouldnt make that much of a difference, if the October Nintendo Direct trailer was shown at E3 instead of the one that did, people probably wouldve been more optimistic, considering it focused more on Single Player while the E3 trailer focused more on Multiplayer.
  • ncurry2 - November 12, 2013 9:40 a.m.

Brilliant article as always, David. As an owner of a beast pc gaming rig and a wii u, I'm more than content with the selection of games I have access to and can't see myself picking up either next gen console for a good 3 or 4 years. It is disheartening to see the wii u get so much flak. Nobody can consistently make games in such a wide array of genres that are as purely entertaining and fun as Nintendo can. Sure, their consoles have terrible 3rd party support. But the quality of exclusives that each nintendo console gives access to is just astounding. I don't regret my purchase and it's only going to increase in value as games like Mario and kart and smash come out. All the haters can keep flaming if they want but I'll keep enjoying all that my console and pc has to offer.
  • Subgenre - November 12, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Ten years from now people will look back on the Wii U and will say, "How did such an amazing console lose to Sony and Microsoft? These exclusives are incredible!" And then they'll proceed to by the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Stupid Name while bashing Nintendo's console. That is how it has been since the GameCube days, and if this continues this is how it shall be.
  • BladedFalcon - November 12, 2013 8:55 a.m.

People are looking ten years from right now, and no one says "wow, what an amazing console the GameCube was! how did it lose to the PS2???". It's actually quite the opposite... so your entire statement rings rather false. Unless you're a rabid nintendo fan... Then you'll praise whatever nintendo puts out no matter what anyway.
  • gopikmin - November 12, 2013 9:29 a.m.

I'm pretty sure people are wondering how did it lose that badly to the PS2. While the Gamecube did not have a library nearly equivalent to the PS2's, It had a pretty damn good one. It's a shame that it did worse than the Xbox.
  • BladedFalcon - November 12, 2013 9:55 a.m.

I never said it didn't have a solid library, BUT if you're in a competition, and the competition has a library 4 - 5 sizes bigger than yours and most of those are good to great games, I fail to see why it's hard to understand how the PS2 won over the other two by a landslide.
  • shawksta - November 12, 2013 10:17 a.m.

I didnt say it didnt win, im just saying the sixth gen was a time where all 3 were on edge with their own great games and no hardware comparisons flak. PS2 reign supreme in the end, but it was more of the best in a line of already great consoles. Hell, even dreamcast before it got wasted was pretty neat with games.
  • gopikmin - November 12, 2013 10:26 a.m.

That isn't the reason the PS2 did so well, The large library is like a free laptop to a good car with great gas mileage and a decent price. The PS2 skyrocketed because it was a cheap DVD player and steady introduction into the other territories. Families bought it because of it being a DVD player with the addition of playing games. Then, the games library pushed it to the point it reached.
  • BladedFalcon - November 12, 2013 10:30 a.m.

Well there you go, you said it yourself, people bought it initially because it was a cheap DVD player BUT it thrived beyond anything the GC and Xbox could have hoped to achieve BECAUSE of the huge games library. Which is the key difference between say, the Wii, which like the PS2, sold huge initially because it was cheap and had a great hook... yet it fizzled out way sooner than the PS2 and didn't skyrocket because it didn't boast the games to back the momentum up.
  • shawksta - November 12, 2013 9:40 a.m.

To be fair, sixth gen was more or less a fair play, the PS2 skyrocketed by far in sales but that didnt really diminish Cube or Xbox, as the Top 7 said, Dreamcast failing was its only negative.
  • BladedFalcon - November 12, 2013 9:56 a.m.

The GameCube wasn't really a success though... it wasn't a failure, but it did not perform to Nintendo's expectations. You might have forgotten, but before the Wii fluked with it's overnight success, everyone was chanting doom on Nintendo back in 2005 for a reason.
  • leon-hastings - January 20, 2014 7:37 a.m.

I really loved the Dreamcast It had some truly awesome games and I hope that something similar doesn't happen to Nintendo. I have owed many consoles over the years and while I loved my PS2 I can't help but wonder what could have been if the Dreamcast had held it's audience through the PS2 Tsunami. I would have got to play Shenmue 3 back when the magic was still there. Systems tend to get the really great games after about 3 years when they have had time to push the envelope more.
  • mothbanquet - November 12, 2013 7:58 a.m.

While I am somewhat tempted to have a crack at the U, I'll just be buying it for the first party games and that's something I've never done with any previous Ninty console. Mario and Zelda are undeniably fantastic but are they enough to warrant purchasing a Wii U on their own merits? I think my biggest worry is buying one on all the strengths you've listed above, being satisfied for now but regretting it in the future, when nothing much else comes out to justify it. It's not like buying a GC and being rewarded years down the line when Twin Snakes came out...but then again I wouldn't have predicted that, either...
  • Swedish_Chef - November 12, 2013 7:54 a.m.

I care... ;_;
  • winner2 - November 12, 2013 7:41 a.m.

Great article Dave, really well written, and I loved the humor. I agree, a wii u looks really nice to me right now. The only next gen console exclusive that I care about at all right now is Destiny, everything else is coming to pc (Dragon age too I think?). But nintendo's got a lot of stuff I want.
  • Vonter - November 12, 2013 11:14 a.m.

I really wish Destiny came to the Wii U merely on the fact it'll be for the 360.
  • BladedFalcon - November 12, 2013 7:39 a.m.

I WILL say though, Mr. Houghton, it's kinda pathetic that in order to bolster your argument for the Wii U lineup, you also dropped the names of games that came out more than half a year ago or more... I mean, if you're gonna go by those standards, either the PS3 or 360 have 3 times better line up and quality than the Wii U if we count all the games that have come out for them since ZombiU, the oldest game you mentioned for the Wii U here :P AND if your argument is that you're merely comparing next gen consoles with each other... Well no shit the Wii U is gonna have more games, it came out a YEAR ago, it would be beyond shameful if they didn't :P It's like saying the 360 had the best next gen 2006 christmas line-up and counting Dead or Alive 4 or Condemned amongst it's strengths...
  • mothbanquet - November 12, 2013 8:01 a.m.

You know, I would say Condemned is still worth owning a 360 for right now. But you raised a good point. I think I'll get a PS3 this year because wow - look at God of War 3, that shit still looks insane!!