Topics

SimCity

• Scuffles - August 31, 2012 12:22 p.m.

So always online.... and did they ever change the one city thing? Eh what do I know anyhow I stopped playing at simcity 2k but damn I loved that game. Oh well its a pass for me
  • FreezeRay - August 31, 2012 12:35 p.m.

BOOOOOO!!!!! always online is really the only thing I don't like about this. I don't want to make a sweet city only for my friends to mess with it while I'm not online. I hope they have a regional offline mode like Sim City 4. It sounds a little like societies with the whole "People as resources" thing where the goal is more happiness instead of economics.
  • simplethunder - August 31, 2012 5:58 p.m.

Are you aware that mined coal, oil, alloy, electronics, crafted produce and many others are also considered as resources in the game? A simulated supply-demand based global economy says otherwise.
  • McSpermie - August 31, 2012 1:27 p.m.

I like how Cooper tried to spin a constant online DRM as a good thing, are you kidding me? We all saw how well that turned out with Diablo 3. However, the game does sound good, and if there is a LAN option I'll be a happy guy.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 31, 2012 1:50 p.m.

It's not online DRM if it actually does something. That's like saying World of Warcraft has online DRM. It actually adds to it by making it into a persistent online game.
  • McSpermie - August 31, 2012 2:09 p.m.

It does add something, you're right about that. At the same time, however, it removes options like single player and building your own neighboring cities. I think the best case would have been a separate single player mode a la Simcity 4, and how it is currently as well. That way modding would have been a possibility, we're not going to see that now. I'm not a fan of restrictions for the sake of additional content.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 31, 2012 5:06 p.m.

They said you can build your own neighboring cities in this one, too. You're not forced into a neighborhood of other people, you get to pick that stuff.
  • yonderTheGreat - August 31, 2012 9:20 p.m.

Sorry dude, but the "it's not DRM" argument is one you'll never win. There are numerous reasons. 1)What do we believe the underlying reason for the change in the game mechanics is. Sorry, but in the Steam-Origin war, the vast majority of people don't think it's coincidence that all of EA's major PC releases suddenly have multiplayer added onto them. The *reason* is so that this will be an Origin game that won't be sold on Steam. Sure, it's an infinitely better way to implement always-on DRM than UbiSoft's draconian method, but the primary reason is DRM, not gameplay mechanics. 2)Does it make sense to force this onto players? *NOOOOOOO* If EA was serious about their claim that this is a new gameplay mechanic, it would be *optional*. It's not. It's required. Or, if you want another word, forced. If you took a survey of desired features a few months before this was announced then I'm promise you "I want Sim City to always be online, sharing with everyone, all the time, no matter what" wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list. Or the middle of the list. EA is doing this with *ALL* of their games. Heck, even their sports games for goodness sake. You're doing yourself a disservice as a writer by not acknowledging the obvious. Kudos, tho, for replying to the comments. Not enough writers take the time.
  • yonderTheGreat - September 5, 2012 9:18 a.m.

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-boss-proudly-refuses-to-publish-single-player-games-234402.phtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Destructoid+%28Destructoid%29&utm_content=Google+Reader Headline says it all. Yes, it's a sensationalist, quote-warping headline, but please list all major EA releases that are single-player only since Origin came out.
  • Voltanis - November 30, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning... and look how THAT turned out.
  • ParagonT - November 29, 2012 6:35 p.m.

I just wanted to add that DRM does do something, its a good prevention to pirating, modding, effective control by devs, and the like. But it also another barrier that keeps you from your game. I think it becomes a question of "Is this feature needed for the game to work and achieve its entertainment purposes?". For WoW, that would be an unanimous yes en lieu the empty huge worlds, but as for Sim, that would be a no because it doesn't need it to function and entertain. As someone said before me, if it was optional, then I would see no problem with it. But is it indeed optional? I doubt it. It seems placed there not for the users benefit, which is what bugs people.
  • simplethunder - August 31, 2012 5:34 p.m.

These silly arguments remind me of this video by Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_UmWdcTrrc
  • BiscuitWheels - November 29, 2012 6:33 p.m.

How well it turned out for Diablo 3? Yeah, 10 million copies sold, what a disaster.
  • Redeater - August 31, 2012 1:30 p.m.

Can I get a Mario statue? If not I'll kindly take a pass.
  • Mooshon - August 31, 2012 2:39 p.m.

All I know is that Tilt-shift focus effect is just made for this game. Looks beautiful, can't wait.
  • thorvath - August 31, 2012 6:14 p.m.

Sigh another franchise that the was apparently "begging" to be turned into an MMO. At least there's no sub fee. It's like all the devs today think that everyone devoting 1000s of hours of their lives to staring at a computer monitor are social butterflys. Why you got to hate on the antisocial misanthropes? Back when I played SimCity 2000 I didn't feel the need to have the metropolis of "Pwnsburgh" spamming me with refuse export requests.
  • SlowOctopus - August 31, 2012 7:52 p.m.

I got the biggest damn smile on my face reading this preview! Can't wait!
  • yonderTheGreat - August 31, 2012 9:43 p.m.

There are some massive red flags in this preview that are startling common in other previews I've seen. Mainly... the hings you claim are new ... I very vividly remember having existed in Sim City before. Point4-SC4 had a few upgradeable buildings (airports) but it's nice to see this has expanded. However, as with most of this stuff, it's not *NEW* it's just *BETTER*. Point6-I'm not sure what you mean about this at all. I never felt obligated to make a metropolis. And you could make deals with your neighboring cities in SC4. I did it all the time. Maybe they've improved on this. But instead of calling this feature *NEW* you could acknowledge that it's simply improved and then give a few specific examples of what you can do now that you couldn't do before. Okay to be fair your article says "different" but you present this stuff as "new" and that's a pattern that I've seen a lot of and it frankly disturbs me. Point 2, however, is the biggie. In SC4, people lived in specific homes and had specific jobs at specific places. They had specific routes that the game would very specifically simulate, on-screen, showing Sims going to work, going home, and going to play (beit at the park or the mall). If you imported your family from The Sims then you could watch them do it. It was a blast. Point being, what you're describing sounds exactly like what it was before. What exactly is different here. With all of my many, many reservations, this still sounds incredibly cool. There's no way, however, that this will be a Day 1 purchase. For oh-so-many reasons. I'm going to need to be seriously sold on this game in order for me to accept the DRM. And yes... I've been wanting a true MP Sim City game for nearly 20 years now, see my above post for the specifics on that.
  • simplethunder - September 1, 2012 1:01 a.m.

"Point4" - The method of building an international airport in this game has very different mechanics compared to that of old. It's not just because you have the money and space, you can plop it down anytime you want once you unlock it. It's now a continuous and preferably cooperative process. "Point6" - I think he's talking about the specializations. I'm not sure in what way the "traditional metropolis" will function differently compared to, let's say a city that revolves around tourist attraction or education. But as fas as I know, each specialization has its own strategy and produce. "Point 2" - Sorry but I completely disagree. I think this is one of the major areas the game is built to avoid. The citizens and cars in SC4 are all faked. They are just house-to-work, work-to-house statistical assumption routes, nothing more - no play, parks, shops, hospitals, school, nothing. They only go to certain buildings just to either work or stay at home. They appear and fade from some random place, if you haven't noticed. So if let's say you have a lot of sick citizens in SC4, they remain a number, a statistic. They won't commute to the hospital to get cured, the numbers of sick sims just go up or down the health graph without any obvious cause. There's no traffic to and from the hospital or clinic involved. Compared to the new game, if and when your citizens become sick because of polluted water or by some disease or by an actual arsonist-inflicted burns - they will walk, drive, or get ambulanced to the hospital to get cured. Then you have kids that go to school, people that spend their actual money in shops. All of these aren't just from imagination or assumption. They actually happen in the game. Basically, everything is being simulated in real-time. I suggest that you take away everything you thought you knew about the game. Cause this is not just SC4 forcibly turned online. It's a complete -reboot- of the franchise, in the most appropriate sense of the word.