• tehtimeisnow - December 1, 2012 3:40 p.m.

if a gane dosent have mutlipleyer then its not werth playeing at all seruiousely cuz single palyer ganes have no repay value and mutliplayer is more worth ur money and we live in 2012 and mutlipleyer shuold b required for every game the make
  • shawksta - December 1, 2012 8:05 p.m.

Things like this makes me want to Punch a wall so hard that either there's a hole or my fist bleeds
  • sweetchiliheat - December 1, 2012 3:50 p.m.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of mp. There are a few games I love for mp (Cod, Halo) but I'm a huge fan of co-op/single player. Uncharted, ME3, AC, TF2, L4D[2], Gears, BF3 are all pretty popular mp experiences, but they're not appealing to me. Pretty much all of my favourite games are either sp only or sp/co-op. But that's just me. I know some games with tacked on mp can be pretty fun (Singularity). If anything, I wish they didn't include achievements for mp (especially extremely time consuming ones).
  • Kerime - December 1, 2012 3:59 p.m.

Uh Bioshock 2 was a tragedy...I haven't the lightest clue why this article exists. SP is so incredibly important now a days, adding multiplayer just allows the single player to slip from priority one, which is so incredibly important.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 1, 2012 4:14 p.m.

BioShock 2 was amazing. What was wrong with it?
  • Bloodstorm - December 1, 2012 5:13 p.m.

Agreed. RPG elements might have been shallower, but the story was overall better than Bioshock, and the 'emotional/moral' decisions of harvesting the Little Sisters was a whole lot more engrossing when they came up to you with a grin and arms stretched out, trusting you like you were their parent, as apposed to the stranger that killed their guardian and drug them out from their cowering in a corner in terror.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 2, 2012 2:10 p.m.

And Minerva's Den? Jeez, that was just as good if not better than the campaign as a whole!
  • clearlight20 - December 1, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Single player content has always been important. I generally have no qualms with MP content being tacked on if the SP content feels solid. Crysis 2 felt solid and the fact that MP was tacked on did not bother me. However, I do have a problem with games like Rage that felt like the developers rushed at the end of the story and cause the game to be very anticlimactic. In the case of Rage, cutting MP content out of the equation would have been more beneficial to the game. Also, I despise any sort of game forcing MP (i.e. if a game has SP content that can only be unlocked through MP). Game developers should never try and mesh SP and MP content together unless it is a well developed, optional Co-Op.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 1, 2012 4:18 p.m.

I agree whole-heartedly, Cooper. Never has there been proof that a game's story/singleplayer was ruined BECAUSE of multiplayer--maybe it was just underwhelmed your expectations. Hell, I ENJOYED BioShock 2's MP, and Assassin's Creed had some of the best, most original MP to date. We have to take into account, though, that we as gamer's are picky, have much-too-high expectations, and in general like to complain a whole helluva lot. If you need some evidence to support those claims, go to PCGamer's comment section.
  • RedHarlow - December 1, 2012 4:24 p.m.

Cory Davis, the lead on Spec Ops: The Line, said he hates tacked-on multiplayer. 2K forced their game to have multiplayer. He said: "“The multiplayer game’s tone is entirely different, the game mechanics were raped to make it happen, and it was a waste of money. No one is playing it, and I don’t even feel like it’s part of the overall package — it’s another game rammed onto the disk like a cancerous growth, threatening to destroy the best things about the experience that the team at Yager put their heart and souls into creating.” and such descriptors as: “low-quality Call of Duty clone in third-person” and "“bullshit, [which] should not exist”. I think game devs would have a better understanding about if multiplayer if worth it.
  • GR HollanderCooper - December 1, 2012 10:02 p.m.

Yeah, but it didn't hinder the single-player--he just said it didn't fit.
  • bass88 - December 2, 2012 4:45 a.m.

Wasn't his point that the time and money wasted on the multiplayer could have been spent improving the single player? Let's face it, the gameplay in Spec Ops is nothing amazing. There are hints of greatness in the gameplay but mostly it's just generic. Like Kane & Lynch, everything but the bloody gameplay is magnificent.
  • Ames32 - December 1, 2012 4:31 p.m.

I'm sorry did he seriously say Assassins creed BH's Sp wasn't hindered by the edition of mutiplayer? Assassins creed 1 &2 both 30 to 40 hour games. Then BH and revelations hit and it was down to a 10 hour campaign, 3 was the only one too blend the two equally. ME and Uc don't count they are shooters it's bound to happen. But if these Deves spent the time improving their game as a whole and not worrying about MP, maybe just maybe they wouldn't be traded in so quickly. Or if they added more then an hour of gameplay in Dlc then their would last longer.
  • Bloodstorm - December 1, 2012 4:55 p.m.

Brotherhood was definitely hindered. The campaign was uninteresting, and more like an expansion to ACII's story instead of a full game. The story was quite padded out.
  • cbrinkmann1981 - December 1, 2012 5:27 p.m.

I stopped listening the moment you called Mass Effect a shooter.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - December 1, 2012 5:39 p.m.

Mass Effect 3 sadly reminded me more of a shooter than an RPG. The dialogue was stripped down to a) paragon choice or b) renegade choice, and the only other real rpg element it had was the leveling system.
  • Bloodstorm - December 1, 2012 9:26 p.m.

It was at least deeper than Mass Effect 2 when it came to RPG elements. Most RPG's usually are little more than good-nuetral-bad option anyways, at least when it matters. The rest of the dialog options are usually just narrative fluff, that I enjoy, but usually has no real effect on the game.
  • Fursnake - December 1, 2012 4:34 p.m.

Personally I don't bother with the multiplayer portions of single player games, but I also don't expect them to be done away with. What I would like to see is pricing options for games where I could buy just the single player portion at a reduced cost, separate from the multiplayer option. There can always be the full game option for the full $50/$60 games are going for, but I would be more likely to buy a cheaper single player only version of the game. I have stopped buying games when they come out now for the most part and just wait until they are half the price or less. I don't even buy anymore stuff like CoD and Battlefield I just rent them for the PS3 and I skip the multiplayer part.
  • wicko - December 1, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Mass Effect 3 MP was really bad when it first released - which I admit was when I stopped playing (got one character to lvl 20) and I don't understand why people are praising it. The maps were small and uninteresting, the gameplay was identical per race, and there was very little do to in terms of objectives. It's not like competitive MP where the interesting factor becomes the other players and how they play the game, instead it's just AI that behaves pretty much the same way each time and they easily become predictable.. this is why competitive almost always outlasts cooperative. Maybe the game has changed since then but I do not have fond memories of it's original state.
  • wicko - December 1, 2012 4:53 p.m.

Just to be clear, when I say gameplay was identical per race, I'm referring to who you play against (Cerberus, Reapers, etc)
  • Perdire - December 1, 2012 4:55 p.m.

Rather disappointed by this article. . ., I clicked on the link from Facebook and thought they had gotten some insight into what would've been the multiplayer for Bioshock: Infinite. In any case, I don't think most sane people would argue that multiplayer in a single-player oriented game is a bad addition, but rather dislike the thought it takes resources and focus away from making the single-player game truly exceptional. Personally, I think games like Mass Effect 3 and Assassin Creed's III would've definitely benefited from this.