• Crabhand - September 29, 2011 12:28 p.m.

Cool article, I think you noted the wonder of the originals quite well. I've loved the game since I was young and (barring a brief stint in highschool) since.
  • Doctalen - September 29, 2011 12:27 p.m.

I have Firered on my phone and I love playing it! I am disappointed I am not able to find the original versions or Gold and Silver. Those were amazing.
  • KippDynamite - September 29, 2011 11:52 a.m.

I haven't played Pokèmon since the original blue (and then yellow), but I loved it. You totally captured the experience, Cundy! I even have two complete sets of the original card game. And I still remember that you hold 'alt' and press '138' to make an è.
  • KippDynamite - September 29, 2011 11:53 a.m.

Ha! I meant every card in the original set - not all of the expansions or whatever.
  • shawksta - September 29, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Ironically, Kids and immature people are the ones making fun of Pokemon these days, making Mature people the only ones who appreciate this Gold Series. It was huge, and gamewise, still brilliant and deep. The charts, More older age groups picked up B/W hen kids. To kids, the goal is to be the best and collect every pokemon, to the Real players, the goal is use every pokemons unique stats to create unique teams with deep strategies on defeating opponents, especially with online Random battle and,different ways of,playing making it more deeper and complex then COD or any multiplayer game for that matter.
  • codystovall - September 29, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Growing up means having to admit some pokemon just suck and arent cut out for battle. Sorry sunflora....
  • shawksta - September 29, 2011 1:35 p.m.

Sadly true, sunflora needs luck to win and nothing BIG, Dunsparce is a troll with serene grace otherwise
  • waitingforCharlietosnap - September 29, 2011 11:23 a.m.

Well written, Cundy. I always did love my Blue cartridge. It will ALWAYS be the original 150 for me, no question.
  • GameManiac - September 29, 2011 11:17 a.m.

The VERY first time I heard of Pokemon Red/Blue was when I visited a friends house, and I didn't make much sense of it. When my nextdoor neighbor let me keep his copy of Pokemon Blue (as well as Yellow), I absolutely adored the series. I truly undertood the series when I got the original Nintendo DS, as well as Pokemon Emerald on the same day. I recall heavily the days before Diamond and Pearl, as well as Black and White, where the Pokemon were slowly introduced. I already have about 600 of the critters, all of the ones from Gen I to IV. The remaining which (Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect) I'll get eventually. I honestly can't imagine my life without Pokemon. I love the series, I love Game Freak and Nintendo for giving birth to it, and I'll eagerly follow the series wherever it goes and however long it lasts.
  • Kyo - September 29, 2011 10:51 a.m.

My first ever Pokemon game was Pokemon Blue, I had to beg my parents for both the game and the original gameboy on the day it was released.. I was 7 years old the year Pokemon was released here in the U.S. lol I've literally loved Pokemon my ENTIRE life and because of how it worked out, I've loved Nintendo my entire life aswell lol
  • TheCakeIsaPie - September 29, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Why is Carolyn using Cundy's account to write this article?
  • iluvpkmnmonday - September 29, 2011 10:09 a.m.

I was 14 when Red/Blue came out. I'm so glad I got to grow up in that time period. Such fond memories of trading with friends at school and then running home to watch the anime. I don't think any other game will ever get me so involved/excited as Pokemon did back then. Played every gen since then and still have my Red and Yellow carts too. The love Pokemon gets is one of the reasons Gamesradar is my favorite game site.
  • ParanoidAndroid - September 29, 2011 9:43 a.m.

It was pretty special being a part of the Pokemon phenomenon as a kid, and Pokemon Red/Blue really did give us a common thing to do. Before the internet it was kids I would have never have ordinarily spoken to, that told me where to catch Pikachu. The original 150 are still the best as well.
  • McSpermie - September 29, 2011 8:50 a.m.

My brother and I had our own gameboy's, so he had red while I had blue and that way we got every pokemon in the first gen (except Mew, by the time that glitch came out we had lost our gameboy's :p). Good times.
  • adamhowes - September 29, 2011 8:41 a.m.

One of my favourite games of all time was Pokemon Red. There is too many of the little buggers now.
  • NEPAL - September 29, 2011 8:35 a.m.

Mr Cundy we despretely need the new podcast.
  • SDHoneymonster - September 29, 2011 8:24 a.m.

I was a Red boy. If anyone with Blue even came near me, they'd get a slap. And then I'd ask if I could trade for a Sandshrew...
  • tomthespesh - September 29, 2011 8:45 a.m.

I had a similar disposition towards Red owners as I have Blue. Though I'd trade that Sandshrew for a Growlithe any day.
  • Matt Cundy - September 29, 2011 8:47 a.m.

I was Red all the way baby.
  • tomthespesh - September 29, 2011 8:50 a.m.

You used to be cool man. :P