Topics

Best

We Recommend

• archnite - September 6, 2012 3:36 p.m.

I absolutely love MGS4, I just beat it to 100% again for trophies even though I did the same years ago with no prize. The controls are just brilliantly deep and fluid, grafting the series controls in a shooter type play style made what I think is the best in the series. Plus all the pay=off. Otacon getting with Naomi, Raiden becoming a badass who can hold off a submarine, the final battle with Liquid/Ocelot, DRIVING REX AGAINST RAY.
  • azureguy - September 6, 2012 4:27 p.m.

I've been getting the Platinum trophy fopr MGS4 as well in a two week hardcore session. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't all that bad, and the cutscenes aren't that bad as everyone says - MGS2's conversations are more exhausting by comparison. It may not beat Snake Eater's boss fights, but a great game none the less ;)
  • RonnyLive19881 - September 6, 2012 3:35 p.m.

THANK YOU, every time I talk MGS with friends they put their fanboy hats on and hate on Twin Snakes and MGS3D... The Nintendo titles are the better versions. Twin Snakes has better gameplay and presentation and MGS3DS has over all better graphics(remade) and the awesome MGS4 control scheme. The are both the definitive versions and the best titles of the series Lol MGS4 and Ground Zero just need to make it to the WiiU!
  • ryanjohnson - September 6, 2012 2:51 p.m.

I will get shunned, I know, but I just played through 3 since I just got a PS3 and can finally play 4. I felt so frustrated (and I have Subsistence even). Constant changing of clothes breaks the fourth wall like CRAZY in a bad way. One accidental viewing in a world with no radar, so you just kinda have to peek and pray sometimes, leads to an instant 5 minutes of hiding, and I got so busy learning how to hide I never really mastered CQC, only to find it necessary in the last boss battle, and spent months practicing CQC trying to defeat the Boss. Add feeding yourself so your tummy doesn't attract the enemy, no direct healing at all....I got frustrated fast. I hope 4 fixed some of that. Gonna find out soon.
  • DarthPunk - September 6, 2012 1:38 p.m.

I'd still say the original PSX version of MGS 1 is the best version of the game. The cutscenes in Twin Snakes are even by MGS tandards stupidly over the top and the addition of first person aiming arguably makes the gamme too easy
  • gilgamesh310 - September 6, 2012 2:16 p.m.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell they included that at number 2 for. The cutscenes are completely ridiculous and the voice acting is inferior to that in the original game. They should have just included the firs game their instead.
  • ViolentLee - September 6, 2012 1:24 p.m.

You guys were quick to mention what the definitive version was for each MGS iteration, yet you fail to mention MGS3 Subsistence? The refined/fixed camera control made all the difference!
  • miked00d - September 6, 2012 2:16 p.m.

Exactly! The original MGS3, for me, was broken. I'm actually only playing through it now for the first time, in the HD collection, which is the subsistence version without the ridiculous price.
  • GaryTheGuidoHunter - September 6, 2012 1:16 p.m.

3 will always the best for me because I always felt that the whole MGS story line got too complicated way too fast. I loved Snake Eater because of how simple the story was and PW was just as good. The whole Boss/Snake relationship was just amazing to witness
  • Knuckles987 - September 6, 2012 1:01 p.m.

Metal Gear Solid 3, all the way. I've never played a game more times than MGS3, always trying to go for something different with every playthrough. The release of MGS3: Subsistence made playing it even better, with the inclusion of multiplayer and the Secret Theater (Metal Gear Sigint, anyone?). It tops my list of the greatest games of all time, and I'm pleased that it topped this list as well.
  • Turtman - September 6, 2012 12:53 p.m.

Am I the only one who thinks 4 just didn't resonate quite right? Also the Portable Ops series I tried to love but just couldn't. Loved the hell outta 3 tho, good call GamesRadar!
  • dcobs123 - September 6, 2012 1:40 p.m.

Yeah I thought the gameplay was great but went downhill after ch2. I also thought the story was inconsistent and the game didn't do as good of a job handling a main theme as the previous games.
  • dcobs123 - September 6, 2012 1:46 p.m.

Anyone else love mgs2 vr stealth missions? The levels toward the end were pretty complex and it's pretty satisfying once you memorize all the enemy paths and nail a perfect ghost run.
  • Turtman - September 6, 2012 6:42 p.m.

If you like memorizing enemy paths and stealthing around try the Hitman series. I do love me some VR missions
  • JMarsella09 - September 6, 2012 12:51 p.m.

3 is the best from a gaming standpoint, but I think I loved Peace Walker the most.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - September 6, 2012 12:50 p.m.

I love MGS 3 and MGS 1 the most. In large part it's because they're the least convoluted, and tell the most cohesive stories. Both hold up well enough as standalone games that can be enjoyed on their own merits.
  • CitizenWolfie - September 6, 2012 12:41 p.m.

Totally agree with your top three. Although I do prefer MGS4 over MGS only slightly due to the mission variety in each act (especially the old-school spy novel style Act 3) and the absolutely epic fist fight at the very end. But that's only just. But yeah, MGS3 is incredible and has one of my favourite boss fights of all time.