Topics

best FPS

• nokeisoka - June 27, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Incredibly happy with tf2s spot :)
  • GeneralLeeStupid - June 27, 2012 5:39 p.m.

i personally think hl2 should have its spot though, it should be 2nd
  • treeroy - February 10, 2014 3:11 p.m.

This is a list of MULTIPLAYER games.
  • winner2 - June 27, 2012 8:11 a.m.

Bioshock
  • rawdog50 - June 27, 2012 6:55 a.m.

SINGULARITY
  • HamsterGutz - June 27, 2012 4:50 a.m.

Glad to see Bad Company 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 on the list.
  • Coilshot - June 27, 2012 3:37 a.m.

Crysis
  • Rynjin - June 27, 2012 12:29 a.m.

It pleases me that Valve games dominate the top 3 slots.
  • GrandTheftAuto - June 27, 2012 1:51 a.m.

Check number 3 again my boy
  • MasterBP - June 26, 2012 11:03 p.m.

Personally.. -Would have put BF2 over Bad Company 2. -Would have put Killing Floor over Borderlands -I like that halo 3 was put on there, but I'm not sure it's the best thing to suggest people go play it now what with the population dying (at least it was last time I played). -"Viciously stylish" yeah, maybe back in '07 (still love the game).
  • MasterBP - June 26, 2012 11:09 p.m.

Also honorable mentions to PVK2
  • dlam - June 26, 2012 10:49 p.m.

OUTLAWS #1 BEST OG FPS SHOOTER ⇉ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up--P2kgSdQ GG
  • NanoElite666 - June 26, 2012 10:44 p.m.

Would've put UT 2004 Editor's Choice edition over classic UT GOTY, but that's just me. Played 'em both a crap-ton and loved them both, so it's all good. Funny story, I finally got around to picking up UT3 a couple months back, and I was momentarily baffled when right-clicking didn't aim down my sights and hitting R didn't reload. Then I reminded myself that I was playing UT, and that such silly modern shooter conventions had no place here. Then I got my hands on a flak cannon and was in heaven again.
  • pariaheternal - June 26, 2012 9:17 p.m.

The modern first-person shooter's massive popularity explosion can almost be entirely attributed to Call of Duty 4. .... loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake Team (and non-team) Arena, Half-Life and all its lesser known mods, including the ones that gave Valve the ideas for left 4 dead, CS, the original Team Fortress, Battlefield (1942, 2142, 2, BC, BC2) and uh, idk, Halo? The singlehanded reason the original Xbox exploded off shelves well into its lifespan as a current console? That's just off the top of my head and just large scale multiplayer games. I like your list, they're all really good games, but COD 4 came out on the current gen of systems, so unless you're talking about the multiplayer shooter popularity explosion among twelve year olds, I've been playing multiplayer shooters since laptops used modems and had black and white screens, and while I 100% agree with the idea of COD4 being the best COD, I'm fairly certain several multi-billionare game producers from the early to mid ninties would have to disagree with you on that, as well as anyone with good gaming sense who's old enough to buy cigarettes.
  • Jacko415 - June 26, 2012 10:34 p.m.

He meant modern warfare shooters (Bf:BC/BF3, MoH reboot, Spec Ops, Breach, countless other knock offs, etc...) in terms of setting and the multiplayer. And by multiplayer they mostly mean the unlock progression and general gameplay.
  • c-c-c-combo breaker - June 28, 2012 5:23 a.m.

'The modern first-person shooter's massive popularity explosion can almost be entirely attributed to Call of Duty 4.' >Modern fps >MASSIVE popularity explosion >ALMOST entirely Learning to think before you comment is always the best idea.
  • Satchurated - June 26, 2012 9:15 p.m.

I understand why they say Halo 3 instead of Reach because of the "purer form", but reach builds upon halo 3 and makes it even better. And you can also change the settings to make it halo 3 anyways. Also, I don't get why Left 4 Dead 2 is so damn popular. Maybe it's because I'm not a pro, but every time I play, I get attacked by a special zombie, can't do a damn thing (not even button mashing), and my teammates are either already dead or stupid enough to not come back. If they could make special zombies a little easier to evade, then the game would be great.
  • TomSJ3 - June 27, 2012 9:18 p.m.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not about LFD2. Of course you can't escape the special infected by button mashing. You're supposed to depend on your teammates. It's a teamwork centric game. If you're playing single player, the AI will almost always immediately save you from them, and on multiplayer obviously your problem can be solved by playing with friends who know what they're doing, or at least sticking close to them even if they don't.
  • Matuno - June 26, 2012 8:16 p.m.

Wait. What dimwit decided to leave out Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory? It was free, it had objective-based gameplay making it great for online competitions, and it still had the strafejumping that we Quakers love. Screw realism, that game was awesome! (Played it again last week, these modern slow-as-hell games made my aim rusty!)
  • NullG7 - June 26, 2012 8:12 p.m.

Ya--Ta--Ta--Ta--Ta--Ta--Ta--Ta Du-Ta-Ta-Ta-Ta-Ta-Ta-Ta Bu.Ta.Ta.Ta.Ta.Ta.Ta.Ta Rinse and Repeat Nuff Said
  • Redeater - June 26, 2012 7:55 p.m.

I loved the hell out of the original UT. Fantastic original weapons, great music and gorgeous graphics that ran on even lower end PCs.
  • Cloketre - June 26, 2012 7:49 p.m.

100% backwards