• Derrickcole - May 27, 2014 8:39 a.m.

I hope Naughty Dog doesn't believe that the opinions in this article are how the majority of people who played the game feel. They made an amazing game. If they would have done most of the things you said in this article it would have completely ruined the game at some points. It is kind of weird that Ellie is a "ghost" when you're in stealth mode but it's a lot better than the alternative of having to save her every five minutes and her blowing your cover on every level where stealth can be used. I didn't mind it at all. And I was happy she wasn't noticed. And how pissed would you be if you came back into the story after it skipped a fee months and you were missing resources that you desperately needed? He has bombs in his backpack and they don't explode? Really? And "where did he get the cans from?" Seriously? The bottles and bricks part was also face palm worthy. And the listening nitpicks you had are all solved with raising the difficulty level. I believe the good people at Naughty Dog know exactly what they're doing. I hope they make a sequel and do exactly what they want to do and what they feel they need to do based on their expertise at making a great game and not listen to people with their contradicting opinions. It's a video game, man. One that tells a great story and the majority of things that you, and others mentioned, are completely not necessary to get across the points that needed to be made.
  • wadesmit - July 22, 2013 2:36 a.m.

Slide 3: "breathe" not "breath".
  • bebl09 - July 18, 2013 2:26 p.m.

"We'll even buy the fact that clean water only came in randomly discarded bottles." Seriously? It's not water, it's alcohol. It even says that in the picture above that caption. Plus, how the hell would you make a molotov cocktail with water??
  • poothurdur32 - July 18, 2013 11:46 a.m.

As someone who hasn't played it yet: Uh-huh, yeah, mmhm, yeeup, yup, mmhm, Oh Really? Ah. Hmph. Yeah, um, one last one: Ellie is your average teenager, right? So how come in all these situations when she has lots of stress, is covered in dirt, and pretty much led through all of Hell not one SINGULAR BIT OF ACNE APPEARS ANYWHERE ON HER?
  • arianabiscuit - July 17, 2013 6:40 a.m.

I couldn't agree more. The whole Ellie not being able to swim thing really confused me! Not to mention that moment when a Bloater didn't notice you noisily taking down three infected. Brilliant article, guys. And awesome game!
  • Cruddi - July 17, 2013 5:49 a.m.

I hope that Bill is what the DLC is aiming at, my only nit pick is on normal towards the end you picked up tons of crafting items but on the hardest setting there is next to nothing.
  • Redeater - July 17, 2013 11:42 a.m.

I read your post four times and I still don't understand what you mean. Why would they give you excessive crafting materials on the hardest setting? The game wouldn't be hard if they gave you more than a handful of bullets and multiple molotovs.........
  • Cruddi - August 20, 2013 11:58 a.m.

I was expecting for it to have less on the hardest but not that little i hardly crafted anything all the way through and when i did i held onto them for dear life, i found the hard setting to be much more agreeable. I also like not having the listening available gave it that nice organic feel.
  • CitizenWolfie - July 17, 2013 4:50 a.m.

Really enjoyed this. I hope you do more with other big games. I agree with most of these. In particular, the bricks/bottles being huge signposts to incoming combat and the fact that on numerous occasions Ellie walked RIGHT IN FRONT of (and often bumped into) runners and bandits with no consequence while I was getting spotted for crouch-walking just an inch too fast. Considering how hard the game tries to not be "gamey," it definitely shattered the illusion. The other part that annoyed me was realising that the black woman at the lab was actually Marlene. It seemed so ridiculous that she had made it all that way before Joel and Ellie that I thought it couldn't possibly be her. If she'd have just taken Ellie herself we could have avoided all that mess. As for some of the others, I've got a few nitpicks with this article. First, is it really so unbelievable that Ellie can't swim? She'd been left to fend for herself for most of her life and Marlene would have been constantly too busy with the Fireflies to spend hours teaching someone to swim. Besides which, before they realised Ellie was immune it's probably safe to assume open water might be contaminated. Fungi grows in damp conditions after all. Joel only swims when he has to. And for the bottles found for crafting? It's meant to be alcohol, not water. Joel was using it to sterilise wounds and fuel for molotovs, not drink it.
  • loomis22 - July 18, 2013 12:41 a.m.

In regards to Marlene getting there before you; you forget that Joel and Ellie made quite a few detours, including the few months that Joel was out of commission. If she went straight there; hearing from Fireflies along way and knowing that they packed up and left other camps (the University in particular), she wouldn't have to stop by them and she would save a lot of time on her journey traveling straight to the final destination. So long story short; from my perspective, I can see how she made it there faster. And yeah she could have brought Ellie herself but then we wouldn't have had such a great game ;).
  • Sjoeki - July 17, 2013 4:22 a.m.

Wasn't Marlene in de Fireflies with Joel's brother? Who promised her that he was a stand up guy? Sure there were more then enough fireflies in other towns and cross country but as I remember the fireflies at marlene's were being killed left and right. She might just have felt that she was running out of options.
  • mafyooz - July 16, 2013 11:57 p.m.

SPOILERS ALERT!! The only real issue I had with the game was the enemy detection, there's at one point Joel, Ellie and Tess were in a room full of clickers and infected, with Ellie and Tess walking around and actually shoving them out of the way with no consequences, whereas I accidentally nudged the sprint button with my leg and immediately got munched! I also wondered how effective a a first aid kit would be made from what looked like a discarded sock on a college students floor..... As for the ending, it's the only one that makes sense based on the kind of characters and narrative in the game. I've seen people complaining that Joel was "Selfish" and "unheroic". That's how people actually are in real life, the selfless hero that acts as a protagonist in most games is pretty much mythical. And speaking as a parent, if it came down to a choice like Joel's of saving my daughter (which is how he saw Ellie by the end) and saving humanity, the human race is pretty screwed, that's all I'm saying ;)
  • GOD - July 16, 2013 5:23 p.m.

My only real nitpick was that early on in the game, Clickers were a huge pain for me because if you ran into them head on you were guaranteed dead. Yes you could shoot them, but no amount of bricks, machetes, or melee weapons made a damn of a difference up close. This was of course remedied with upgrading the shiv skill though.
  • BladedFalcon - July 16, 2013 6:44 p.m.

Throwing bricks or bottles at them was always effective as long as they weren't pretty much at zero point distance from you. Of course, even then you needed to then killed them with a shiv or melee weapon, but that still gave you a very good opening. And once you get a shotgun, it all becomes a non-issue. Assuming you save using it specially for them, of course.
  • GOD - July 16, 2013 6:53 p.m.

I played on Hard for my first run, so I was always trying to be as conservative with bullets as possible. My issue was that often times even if I had stunned the Clicker with say a thrown brick, this would still only stun it and if I tried to melee it while it was stunned it would rip my throat out. It just kinda bugged me that even if you lead your attack by trying to smash them in the head with a brick to do actual damage, the moment they got within a certain radius of you it immediately cut to the little inescapable scene of you getting torn apart. I remember trying to hit one with a pipe once and as my pipe was inches from slamming into the clicker I suddenly was too close and my melee was canceled followed by it grabbing me and ripping my throat out. It just bugs me because it's like what, did Joel get scared and suddenly stop swinging his pipe at this things face? It just bugs me like I had the right timing and weapon, but the games says NOPE. Another issue I just remembered, especially in the subway early on, is that whenever I would hide the runners would "conveniently" keep stumbling around into my exact location, over and over again. I would see one walking towards my area, throw a brick to distract it, and then less than five seconds later it would start wandering straight towards me again, and then just fumble around slowly around corners to my exact hiding spot. Maybe this is a result of playing on hard, but needless to say that was my most frustrating level.
  • loomis22 - July 18, 2013 12:46 a.m.

Actually all you need is a brick. Sneak up on them and then smash them in the face with the brick three times with the punch button with the brick in your hand, on the third hit the brick breaks and smashes the Clicker's face in and kills them. You can do it from in front of them but it is much harder, always try and come up from behind or stun them with another bottle/brick first.
  • Talvari - July 16, 2013 4:27 p.m.

Only issue I really had with that game was the braindead AI a lot of the time, half companion and half enemy. I get that the infected and humans don't detect ellie or other companions for the sake of like..a less frustrating experience but i dunno, kinda killed immersion a LOT for me. Was funny at first but then it took a lot of the intensity out of some sections. I guess I just expected more from all the hype they showed at E3 last year, or the year before, can't remember. Still a great game, but the gameplay had some chunky flaws based on my experience.
  • Clovin64 - July 16, 2013 3:28 p.m.

Arrgh, the "point of no return" issue never fails to piss me off in games. I keep looking at new doors I reach in the game and I pause for a few momments thinking "which one of these doors looks like it could have a cutscene behind it?" I always try to go in the direction I'm probably not supposed to, in order to find more loot. As for the ending, I had mixed feelings about it initially, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised how perfect it was, and how bold it was for ND to end their game that way. Dave Houghton's brilliant article also helped me feel a deeper appreciation for both the ending and the game as a whole. All things considered, The Last of Us may have been the game to finally replace Mass Effect 2 as my favourite game of the console generation.
  • Danomeon - July 16, 2013 2:30 p.m.

SPOILERS AHEAD! First things first: This and Rogue Legacy have provided some of my absolute favorite gaming experiences this year, so the following gripes are me saying what I didn't like about a game I absolutely loved. The over-used environment navigation sections involving planks, water palettes, and ladders: Trekking across the environment began to get a little monotonous on the second playthrough when moving through it is always so clearly transparent. Just about every time Joel leaps into water it's time to grab a wooden square for Ellie. Need to get up to a ledge? Just scan the area for ladders. It would have been nice to have seen some mild puzzle solving beating out the tedious repetition of picking up, slowly walking with, and then dropping objects in the appropriate place. Something that would have provided a mild stump to ponder over, perhaps? The awkward surgery-room standoff: I LOVED the ending to this game in terms of narrative; all of the actions that Joel takes are clearly and strongly rooted in what he has been taught in the past. (Ellie is compared to his daughter when he carries her in his arms just as he did his daughter at the beginning,and he is not going to let his desperate run to save her pay off with another death. Human beings have proved up until this point that they are not worth saving, and are lesser in his eyes than Ellie.) But that being said, when I first found myself standing in front of the surgeons with that razor-sharp scalpel, I was uneasy. I know the game wanted me to kill them, and I know that there was no other way, but it was the first time that the game had really given me a truly innocent person to kill. These were medical professionals trying to save all of mankind, and after a game of slaughtering cannibals, bandits, murderers, and bloodthirsty zombies it was strange to be forced to kill someone who was completely innocent. After an awkward standoff in which no one spoke and we just unrealistically stared at each other, I finally did what the game wanted me to do. That awkward pacing-breaking moment of standing silence could probably have been resolved with a cut scene. How multiplayer's meta game frustrates in the context of an online shooter: I love the idea of TLOU multiplayer, in which your performance affects how your imaginary camp of survivors flourishes. Every match feels immediate and important when personal failure could result in sickness spreading throughout your colony, and the desire to survive to eight weeks is really palpable. That being said; it's really frustrating when you're stuck on a bad team facing a fantastic team and have to bite the big one. In a normal shooting game, a bad game in multiplayer can be shaken off and redeemed. In TLOU, it can be a frustrating and off-putting affair in which you watch as your multiplayer progress takes a bullet to the knee. Incompetent teammates have never driven me nuts in games like L4D where you're just playing for the win and loss, but when you tie every match together by the meta survival system, they make me want to punt a puppy. that's it for me. Still love the game!
  • Dehumanization - July 16, 2013 2:27 p.m.

I don't understand why in movies and games the idea of getting a vaccine requires the person that has the resistance to the disease has to die. You only need their blood, killing them is counter productive.