• brickman409 - November 25, 2012 1:38 p.m.

well about the international law is for greenhorns one, you need to remember victor's justice, if a military that commits a war crime, it's punishment is much less severe if that military wins that war. A great example of this is the My Lai massacre, where 26 U.S. soldiers killed unarmed Vietnam civilians, only one of those 26 soldiers got punished and that soldiers only got 10 years in prison and that was eventually reduced to house arrest for a few months.
  • FOZ - November 25, 2012 2:58 p.m.

You mean war criminals are punished less by their own country than by other countries. The U.S. left Vietnam, so the only people around to punish American war criminals were in the U.S. itself. Although most games don't paint it as "the government will take care of us when we win" so much as "we just don't give a damn and this is going to be really cool."
  • brickman409 - November 26, 2012 11:26 a.m.

I'm just saying that the "do what needs to be done" attitude in video games is a bit more realistic than it seems, especially when you factor in victors justice.
  • KA87 - November 25, 2012 2:14 p.m.

Yeah war can be boring. I had a friend that was stationed in a remote part of Iraq and they got so bored that they would wait for someone to try and use the porty poty and then run up and nock it over. They made a game out of it and the videos were funny. Oh and to the lone wolf point, everybody just wants to be that guy from the beginning of XCOM that gets ordered to run up to the guy with the frag and shotgun.It does not end well for him or for most of the other people that listen to your orders in that mission.
  • zombi3grim - November 25, 2012 9:01 p.m.

As someone who served in the Marines, I can attest to alot of these. We had a guy in basic at Parris Island who refused to participate because he said he wouldnt be able to kill another human being. He got general discharged. Why you would join the Marines, of all branches, if you knew you wouldnt be able to kill someone is beyond me.
  • AuthorityFigure - November 25, 2012 11:58 p.m.

Well he could of died in place of someone who *would* kill an enemy...
  • needles - November 27, 2012 1:02 p.m.

So when you where overseas what was your old lady up to?
  • zombi3grim - November 27, 2012 3:29 p.m.

She went with me. And we had two kids. Nice try though.
  • needles - December 11, 2012 1:43 p.m.

I would still get a partenity test though. You can't be certain with military wives. Simpur foo.
  • zombi3grim - December 11, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Got some balls for a kid hiding behind a computer screen, I'll give you that. Say what you will about my family. I know I have one and more then likley you'll die a virgin living in your mothers spare room. Have a nice day, fuck face! :)
  • zombi3grim - December 11, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Glad to know I defended people who insult my family.
  • needles - December 31, 2012 4:39 p.m.

Aw come on, son I was joking. But the whole "defending the country" thing is a lie. You enlisted for old rich guys to get richer. Oh with a little side of Jesus.
  • zombi3grim - January 20, 2013 9:51 p.m.

If that helps you sleep at night. The Marines do so much to protect you that you never hear about on the news it isnt even funny. Whatever makes you feel "holier then thou." I know Im ready to defend this country against any enemy foriegn or domestic. Your ready to...what, stand in line for a new console launch?
  • avantguardian - November 25, 2012 11:08 p.m.

i'm pretty sure there is a ww1 trench simulation game (or will be soon). can't remember what it's called, though...
  • RadgarLaser2 - November 26, 2012 12:30 a.m.

Isn't the 1st one if you die it's over. You can't respawn unless you believe in reincarnation.
  • zelta38 - November 26, 2012 12:32 a.m.

Funny thing is most of these points apply to most depictions of war across all forms of entertainment, good article.
  • StrongPillow - November 26, 2012 12:50 a.m.

Games like these wouldn't be effective recruitment tools if they depicted the truth about what goes on during real conflict or deployment. Also Americans eat up this cowboy gun hoe shit. It's the only reason they can shit in a box and sell millions of copies of it every year.
  • xx_CaPTiiN_SpAiiN_zz - November 26, 2012 2:48 a.m.

or maybe they are just fun
  • phoenix_wings - November 27, 2012 3:13 a.m.

"gung-ho"