• jedisamurai - January 2, 2014 10:20 a.m.

Wanna know where we went wrong? Game magazine critics started HEAVILY crucifying arcade games, saying how pointless and shallow they thought they are. They started using the word ARCADE as a word to criticize the latest version if their racing sim darlings. And then gamers started repeating this garbage. Look up the awesome Need For Speed Shift, Grid 2, or Dirt 2 on a site like amazon. You going to find a lot criticism calling them "too arcade-like". Games like that aren't selling anymore, and all that criticism is the reason why. Again and again game mags and sites put down innovative games for not being perfect, then are shocked, SHOCKED when these awesome games they gave a 6 out of 10 don't sell, and people buy some Call of Battlefield Zombies 5 instead (which they gave a 9 out if 10).
  • GR_JustinTowell - January 2, 2014 2:12 p.m.

For the record, I've never criticised a racing game as being 'too arcadey'. But I know exactly what you mean, it's true, that did happen.
  • jedisamurai - January 2, 2014 11:04 p.m.

To tell the truth it was your articles that made me start reading this Website in the first place. I was amazed to see that journalists actually appreciated SEGA's arcade racing masterpieces and recognized that games like GRID were doing the real innovating while SONY and Microsoft got all the glory. I started out with racing games, and they will always have a special place in my heart. I have a feeling that the game I've put the most hours into on my 360 is my XBLA copy of Outrun 2.
  • GR_JustinTowell - January 3, 2014 2:09 a.m.

Music to my ears :) And absolutely right about GRID. As for OutRun 2, it's still beautiful. Imagine what OutRun 3 could be like on PS4/XBO.
  • jedisamurai - January 3, 2014 9:17 a.m.

Stop you're making me drool! To be honest, that's the reason why I don't own a PS4 or Xbox One. I'm a Triple-A arcade game fan, and I see nothing to satisfy my hunger. I'm simply not interested in FPS, MMO, and dark, gritty action. I almost returned my Xbox 360 after buying because it seemed like a mistake, right up until Ikaruga and Rez were re-released. And what was everyone's favorite game on 360 that I showed them? Outrun. They would have bought it themselves had Ferrari not yanked the license from SEGA. But yeah, if there was a Ridge Racer that had the gameplay of Rage Racer and some Shiny New Graphix I would have that thing pronto. Outrun 3? I'd be tackling store clerks shoving my credit cards in their face! As it is the games coming out don't scream "next-gen" to me in any way. I think it's going to be quite a while before they do.
  • RareHero - January 2, 2014 9:27 a.m.

There is one saving grace for all us arcade racing fans out there - The '90s Arcade Racer. It began as a Kickstarter, met its goal and is currently in development. The game looks fantastic, like a spiritual sequel to Daytona or VR or Scud Race. As ridiculous as it sounds, this is the game I'm most looking forward to in 2014. Arcade racers are a pasttime of mine and they don't exist anymore. Sega's given up, Namco's ruined Ridge Racer, and the current crop of games in the genre - which I guess is really just Need for Speed at this point - can't compare to the classics. This is a forgotten genre that desperately needs a shot in the arm and I'm hoping this game will be great enough that bigger devs/publishers will take notice.
  • SomeOddGuy - January 2, 2014 11:29 a.m.

Damn it, you beat me to the punch with that comment... I've been waiting forever for the game to have any continued revelations of its current development cycle, though unfortunately it seems like Nicalis is being their common selves of having some ridiculous development cycles for games again.(though I can imagine it being tough for a small publisher/studio when they're running many different projects simultaneously) Still, I can always watch the trailer while I wait...(damn the comment system for blocking youtube links...) Well, that and play Trackmania while I'm waiting.
  • Scoob - January 2, 2014 12:07 p.m.

I thought of getting Trackmania during the Steam sale recently. Not sure why I didn't, it was like $2 or something. Maybe I was thinking, Mario Kart is enough for my arcade racing needs, with 7 on my 3DS and 8 coming out soon, I figured I wouldn't make the time.
  • jeremycarrier - January 2, 2014 9:25 a.m.

This is exactly why I'm looking forward to the Kickstarter's "90s Arcade Racer" v=bywfy_hcq_s put that into Youtube, can't type out link cuz dumb spam filter
  • GeminiAce - January 2, 2014 9:13 a.m.

Couldn't agree more. Since Criterion made Burnout Paradise there has been a lack of true arcade racers. They made the best one with Burnout Takedown and then they killed them with Paradise. Sad, really.
  • usmovers_02 - January 2, 2014 8:48 a.m.

The best arcade racer is definitely Flatout Ultimate Carnage.
  • JMarsella09 - January 2, 2014 8:46 a.m.

That video had me cracking up. I demand that all my racing music be sung by an enthusiastic japanese man.
  • GR_JustinTowell - January 2, 2014 9:17 a.m.

You know, that's actually the guy who sung and wrote the music on the original Daytona USA, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. I had no idea he could sing it like that in one take! And it has instantly become my favourite video on the internet :P
  • TheWoolyMammoth - January 2, 2014 8:40 a.m.

"It's called 'imagination'" - The one thing this industry barely has any more. Well, at least in the AAA space. Brilliant piece though, something I'm with you on word for word. What the hell has happened to them? :(
  • GR_JustinTowell - January 2, 2014 8:54 a.m.

Well, there's a gap in the market if anybody feels like having a go...
  • Baron164 - January 2, 2014 8:20 a.m.

I miss Cruisin' USA from the N64, I'd love that to get remade or released on the VC for the Wii U, unfortunately Midway is dead and I have no idea who owns that rights at this point. I'm still pissed that Nintendo hasn't released a new F-Zero game. I'm still holding out hope for a new F-Zero on the Wii U but we'll see. For the most part I hate the timed arcade racers, it's understandable in an actual arcade when your trying to suck down people's quarters but for a home experience it doesn't old up for me. I wouldn't mind another burnout but Criterion is stuck doing boring NFS games apparently.
  • GR_JustinTowell - January 2, 2014 8:28 a.m.

Wasn't Cruis'n USA released on Wii's Virtual Console? I guess the port to Wii U won't happen now due to rights, as you say. But you can play your Wii VC games via the Wii channel.
  • jedisamurai - January 2, 2014 11:07 p.m.

My list of games to try on the Virtual Console is vast and long, but I do eventually intend to try the best of the 64, including the Cruis'n games. They got awful ratings but were a heck of a lot of fun in the arcade.
  • GR_JustinTowell - January 3, 2014 7:57 a.m.

Yeah, Cruis'n USA was the first 3D game where you could knock over telegraph poles, I believe :P
  • Baron164 - January 3, 2014 10:27 a.m.

I've still got my N64 with my copies of the Cruis'n Games, I didn't realize they released it on the VC. If they upgrade the Wii VC copy to the WiiU I'll grab it. I don't understand why they have been so slow in releasing VC games on the Wii U.