• Yeager1122 - May 28, 2011 2:43 a.m.

I would love less Handholding in games like you said were not morons let us figure things out by trial and error part of the fun of a game is figuring things out.
  • Losermagnet - May 28, 2011 2:45 a.m.

That whole bit about sexism is a two-way street you know. I'm quite tired of most human male protagonists being beefy he-men with some sort of military background.
  • NearNRiver - May 28, 2011 2:49 a.m.

Another 17 year old, and while I could say that many 18+ are as idiotic as teenagers, I can defiantly agree there are a high proportion of immature idiots in the under 18 range, and unless you go into get to know each other gamer, the difference between a high-voiced swearing 13 year old and a 17 year old who enjoys real discussion and knows you probably know more. Also, Portal 2 seems to fulfill... all of these. Yay Valve!
  • Spartan11794 - May 28, 2011 2:49 a.m.

The only thing I disagree with here is making things age based, it's too easy to get around those things, and I made damn sure my teen brother did not turn out like the stereotypical teen, so I'd personally feel shafted if he couldn't play games just because he's 16, instead there should be a way to determine maturity, perhaps a sort of personality quiz, that way the mature young'uns could still enjoy the benefits that come with a higher level of maturity like you described, and alsoage does not immediately grant you maturity, but implementing a personality quiz could be just a s hard if not harder to do, though it'd still be easier to really find the mature people
  • EnragedTortoise1 - May 28, 2011 2:58 a.m.

Yknow, not all teens are those kinds of teens. I'm 15, I game a lot, and I agree with all those points. It's sad how the stupidest reflects on the majority, instead of the smartest.
  • mhendon - May 28, 2011 3:19 a.m.

You get a gold star, sir. This was an excellent article and I wholeheartedly agree with everything you suggest...except for the very last thing. I think that idea sucks. If this sort of toggle became a mainstay in games, it would stand to reason that maturity and immaturity would have an equal presence in every game. It would force writers, who are held to higher expectations by this article, to create a story and characters that can be presented as either mature or immature at the same time. While this might be an interesting challenge, it would shackle a writer in a lot of ways--like Isabella in DA2. She is meant to be a ho. Slapping a turtleneck on her in "mature mode" would simply be out of character. If you didn't want this to be true, you would have to fundamentally change her personality to conform. Lastly, I think that sort of mode would be giving a lot of developers a license to be immature. Why don't we just continue to encourage our favorite medium to move towards the points made in this article and put our Custer's Revenge away once and for all? ...and yes I realize I'm probably taking that last suggestion waaaayyy too seriously. Cheers! Thanks for the great article.
  • jaffa_5 - May 28, 2011 3:46 a.m.

i agree fully with every thing in the artical. i think games have gotten stupidly easy cause it holds ur hand the whole time. dev's let me explore the world u spent the last how ever many year creating like i did back in the day. give me characters that well rounded and female ones that come in all shapes and sizes, and checkpoints that dont make me replay 30/60 mins of gameplay and result in broken pads due to fustration. oh and this isnt in the artical but STOP! using us as beta testers im not paying £40 to wait 3 weeks for a patch to fix a game because u didnt want to miss the release date, that shit isnt cool and i never had to do that till this generation of consoles, no excuses sort it out!. rant over :)
  • DeadlyViper95 - May 28, 2011 3:51 a.m.

(picture of ivy <3) LEAVE IVY OUTTA THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! HER AND HER GINORMOUS TITS ARE AMAZING AND SHALL_NEVER BE CHANGED OR REDUCED IN SIZE
  • garnsr - May 28, 2011 4:37 a.m.

I've always enjoyed the exploration in Tomb Raider, and hate when the combat has to kick in. And Uncharted has never really seemed like Tomb Raider light to me, it's more like Gears of War light, in that Nathan is much lighter and more pleasant (to me) to control than Marcus is, but you play the games mostly the same, hiding and shooting, rather than really exploring like in Tomb Raider. I really wish there were more real exploration games, that's one of my favorite things to do in a game, and we don't get to do it that much.
  • GamesRadarMichaelGrimm - May 28, 2011 4:50 a.m.

All hail Matt Keast.
  • BlindMarksman - May 28, 2011 5:45 a.m.

*Reads the name of the Author of the article* Congratulations Matthew Yeast! You are now officialy one of my favorite GR editors or writers, etcetera! I like the subtle but more focused writing on this article. And i agree with actually most of it. I remember a friend of mine actually saying that if videogames didn't have violence, then they wouldn't be any fun. I wanted to slap him in the spot. Although i am not an advocate of violence in my videogames, i do admit that adding a necessary amount can spice up the gameplay, but i hate the fact that nowadays it has seemed to gain the foreground in game design. i think there should be more "T" games to be honest, because nowadays, either the content of the games is either way too downtoned or way too over the top. But well... that is only one of the ample topics that you covered greatly. Thanks for the great read Matthew Yeast!!! P.S: I know your name is Matthew Keast, but i just said Yeast anyway, you know, for the Lulz...
  • BlindMarksman - May 28, 2011 5:45 a.m.

• DeltaForce - May 28, 2011 5:56 a.m.

Perhaps devs could add an "submit licence number" option that can allow people over 18 to play the 'mature' mode while those under cannot. Just an Idea. And there should be a competency test to allow people to just talk online, I've had my fill of bigoted retards spewing their diareha of the mouth over the chat.
  • Mamudo - May 28, 2011 6:02 a.m.

Great article! To be honest sexualized characters don't really bother me as long as all the women are scantly clad and the men are in full body armor. At least in soul calibur (yeah Ivy's costume is completely ridiculous) the male characters, for the most part, are pretty good looking guys (and some are shirtless). Not gay, but c'mon Kilik and Sigfried are hot. And I give them some credit for having a fully armored female, Hilde
  • funster - May 28, 2011 7:54 a.m.

Sigh @ comments from under-18s claiming Keast underestimates them, when Keast made it clear he knows there are mature under-18s as well as immature over-18s out there. And this from kids/teens claiming they are 'mature'. I wouldn't be so sure about that.
  • quincytheodore - May 28, 2011 8:24 a.m.

I want to comment something profound, but I'm hungry, a bit drunk and insomnia.. Uh, girl.. appearance should be like Aya brea / Chell with clothes on, a bit torn is okay, but no butt cheek exposed, not that I don't like it, moving on... Personality should be like Tali. The mature option, no going to happen. I understand some parts, like blood or gore, but overall gameplay to accommodate mature mechanics is too idealistic. Simply put, the devs are too lazy.
  • austincharlesbond - May 28, 2011 8:25 a.m.

Why does no one mention the Paper Mario games when discussing comedy in games? Super Paper Mario is way funnier and wittier than Psychonauts!!
  • TheDigitalG - May 28, 2011 9:40 a.m.

Lol the teenagers claiming they're mature. You ain't mature till you're 21, kids! I've never met anyone under 18 who isn't insanely annoying.
  • MancisFrorkYorgan - May 28, 2011 11:43 a.m.

I don't agree that 18+ lobbies and forums would automatically guarantee enjoyable online gaming and engaging conversation. In my experience, the veil of anonymity leads many -- regardless of age -- to spout pointless insults such as 'faggot'. Adults, I'm afraid, are just as prone to spouting these insults as the kiddies. A lot of people enter legal adulthood bearing the mind of an illiterate, bad-mannered eleven year-old. Furthermore, I don't agree that the character of Ivy is 'sexist' in any manner. I believe that the 'sexist' term is misapplied here. Whoever designed Ivy is -- in my opinion -- not sexist. Instead, the designer was surely acting out his/her fantasy and perhaps attempting to pander to the fantasies of others. In addition, I agree that female characters should be given more independence and should not be reliant on their male counterparts. However, it cannot be said that all women are tough, modern, ass-kickin' 21st century females -- indeed, many 'real' women bear more resemblance -- physically and emotionally -- to the helpless maiden Princess Peach than they do to a character such as Faith from Mirror's Edge or even Ivy. Despite the fact that Ivy is ridiculously scantily clad, it cannot be denied that *she* is a tough, modern, ass-kickin' 21st century female. Phew. That's my rant over. I'm fifteen. Can I join the 18+ lobby now?
  • Fusionmix - May 28, 2011 12:40 p.m.

"Almost without fail the “empowered” female character is just a man with tits. We’re talking about giving the girl a huge gun and having her callously murder bad guys with a smirk. That’s videogames’ idea of a strong woman? Guys, the opposite of helpless is not steroids." Amen, brother. This is what irks me most about the vast majority of female characters in games. Everything in this article is pretty much spot on. :D