• pl4y4h - October 24, 2013 6:23 a.m.

Meh, I'll pass
  • JarkayColt - October 24, 2013 6:06 a.m.

Surprised Justin wrote this, it's the sort of thing I expect Dave to write on this site. XD Very well argued, although I don't entirely agree. I hate 3D. It will always be a bit of a gimmick and like BladedFalcon said below, even though it's been continually iterated nobody ever seems to get it "right". The core concept seems to carry unavoidable flaws. To me, the 3D effect just does not feel natural. You know the screen is a flat surface. You can trick your eyes all you like but it doesn't change that fact; you're seeing depth that isn't really there. So, as a result, it makes my eyes and head feel uncomfortable; it's not a very pleasant viewing experience. I always feel as though I'm being bombarded by detail and information. In fact, I have the same sort of problem with super-sharp HD and exaggerated lighting effects. None of it seems natural to your eyes or brain so it just feels overwhelming and weird. I get the same feeling whether I'm watching a 3D movie or using my 3DS or whatever. I can't even stand having the 3D slider turned up even a little. I think the only game so far where it's been somewhat bearable was New Leaf because there isn't as much going on, whereas Kid Icarus is like...eye torture. I think the main point I'm trying to make is that 3D can never have large and long lasting appeal because it just doesn't tailor to a wide enough audience; it's too much trouble for something that's mostly superficial. Plus, we still don't really know what long term damage stuff like this and future developments like the Oculus might have on eyesight.
  • garnsr - October 24, 2013 9:21 a.m.

I thought it seemed like it might be a Dave article at first, then realized he never does articles that are pro-anything. I like 3D, and I don't care if it's realistic if it looks cool. I think a lot of people just want to jump on the 3D hate bandwagon. It's too bad developers won't carry on getting better, like Justin says, so we get to a point where people come around and like it, even if they think they need to hate it to be cool.
  • Bloodstorm - October 24, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Has nothing to do with hating it to be cool. Lots of people have legitimate problems when viewing something in 3D, and like JarkayColt said, there is no telling what harm 3D has on your eyes. You are putting a filter over your eyes to trick it into seeing depth, which inevitably means more eye strain.
  • garnsr - October 24, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Undoubtedly there are people who can't see 3D effects, but there are lots of people who proudly proclaim that they hate 3D, and will never have anything to do with it. I've never had any problem seeing it, or getting headaches for more than the first few minutes of adjusting to it, so I hope someone keeps working on making it better for people who have the ability to see it, and get rid of whatever irritations there are for people who complain, instead of just throwing it all away.
  • tomasspipass - October 24, 2013 5:48 a.m.

I do not see the release of the 2ds as an end to 3d. It's just a cheaper version? It's a shame nintendo are not fully backing 3d like they used to. 3D TV's are still to gimmicky/expensive/problematic to have the answer yet. But I feel next summer things will be very different with the occulus rift release and sony's ps4 equivalent. That said, these still will be gimmicky, but they will have their uses. I crave good horror games and movies, but feel I have become hardened/numb to scares since the days of silent hill 1/2, i cannot think of my scareist movie. However, I cannot wait to play all these indie first person horror games that have come out with the occulus rift. For one reason or another I have not got round to playing these games and now plan to hold off until I can play them alone, at night by myself with the occulus rift.. (the following day found on the floor literally scared to death). And hopefully play the occasional coop fps with a couple of these devices.. Judging from reports, the occulus rift sounds like the real deal, but I can imagine it will not take over my gaming habits and will not move me away from my usual gaming habits, but it will give me immersive experiences every now and then when i get the chance
  • Bloodstorm - October 24, 2013 11:17 a.m.

Well, the 3D function in the 3DS was found to be physically damaging to children eyes, which are still developing. That's why the 2DS is being released without 3D functionality.