• badassbunny - May 24, 2009 12:33 a.m.

Half-Life and its sequels is really bad about stupid NPC characters getting in your way.
  • dacole78 - May 23, 2009 8:28 p.m.

Also I disagree with the you have won now get out comment. Games where the game doesn't end when the story does (I'm looking at you moorowind and fallout) only make the main story seem superfluous and usually end up making it not nearly thought out enough. Any bioforce game is immediately superior to any open world game simply because of the strength of the story.
  • Genericide - May 23, 2009 8 p.m.

Nice article. On reflection, I think #4 could improve MMO's too if done properly. Questing for the merely above average items and getting ones with interesting affects would greatly increase the motivation for getting them as opposed to just another arbitrary stat increase. MMO's do this for epic items that take hundreds of hours to obtain, but it'd be nice if everyone could take part in the aspect of the game that's actually fun and rewarding.
  • dtzulu - May 23, 2009 2:56 p.m.

i would have to say my biggest peave would be the un-necessary side quests/tasks. to have a few in a game is ok, (marvel ultimate alliance, mercenary's, did it right), but THE main reason i really never got into the GTA games is because of too many side quests and or tasks that IMO made the game drift.
  • symphonicdeathpop - May 23, 2009 11:32 a.m.

#3 is the worst! And if you're talking skippable cutscenes, I think besides making them skippable, every game should allow to just PAUSE them! It's so annoying when you're in the middle of a huge cutscene and then something comes up and you can't watch it as it can't be paused.
  • crustdbeat - May 23, 2009 3:39 a.m.

Assassins Creed = Unskippable Tedium-Fest
  • zerolegends - May 23, 2009 3:09 a.m.

Why complain about stupid AI. if i was shot in the face i would beat them talk to them and beat them with a steel pipe again.
  • iKOemos - May 23, 2009 12:48 a.m.

Woo-Hoo! Vents! Dark, small, dingy vents....
  • dewfish - May 23, 2009 12:31 a.m.

I have stopped playing so many resident evil and RPG's because of getting killed and then realizing that I had to 10-20 minutes worth of crap all over again before returning to the fight I just lost.
  • Grenade - May 23, 2009 12:15 a.m.

Great article, but I think that on the unskippable tedium one, you should have added that the ability to pause is nice. Uncharted and MGS4 are, like, the only games that I've ever played that let me pause during cinematics.
  • itsgoodtobetheking - May 22, 2009 11:49 p.m.

The unsinkable cut scenes have to be my biggest peave for sure. Force Unleashed had some of those that were annoying especially if it was an area that was particularly difficult.
  • VivaStrangeness - May 22, 2009 10:36 p.m.

I think Fahrenheit definitely did quick-time events right and others should have followed in suit
  • Cyberninja - May 22, 2009 10:21 p.m.

i had to comment because the recaptcha makes it to easy its "aid Chaos" everything on this list aids chaos
  • michaelmcc827 - May 22, 2009 10:19 p.m.

Great Article! More like these.
  • NipplesTheSuperHippo - May 22, 2009 10:11 p.m.

"Press X to make win happen!" Lol, great stuff.
  • JhonMutrix - May 22, 2009 9:48 p.m.

I agree about level grinding. As if a 40-hour RPG isn't long enough, they still feel the need to pad it out with painful repetition. It's ridiculous.
  • Demonflare - May 22, 2009 9:21 p.m.

#1 Unskippable Tedium video started playing...I stopped the video.
  • gorillazbmx6 - May 22, 2009 9:14 p.m.

Dumb AI can be really funny though, as long as they all arent clueless
  • ReaperOfDarkness - June 4, 2009 7:25 a.m.

I personally think number 3 is the most irritating. I always get a little annoyed when supposed "moral" decisions are based on shallow interpretations of morality. Like the "good" decision being just plain silly or naive. Or simply forcing your character to have to help or not help a certain character. Why do I have to fight the super bad guy? I wanna ask him for an application :)
  • pueojit1 - May 31, 2009 1:20 a.m.

number two stinks XD