• ElBeardo - December 22, 2013 4:24 p.m.

I'm glad they mentioned Lost Odyssey, the game is fantastic. The concept was interesting, the music was some of the best Uematsu has ever composed, the gameplay was classic while having a few good/original additions, and the "A Thousand Years of Dreams" flashbacks were some of the most memorable moments I've experienced in gaming (they were apparently written by an award winning Japanese short story writer).
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - December 31, 2013 12:31 p.m.

RIGHT? Agreed 100%
  • genehunt - December 22, 2013 11:14 a.m.

it seems to me that the kids these days feel that cowboys are a little bit, er...... how shall we say? ....gay? but to someone who grew up with westerns being the most popular genre of movie, the call of juarez games were awesome , the m/p in brothers was loads of fun, until i found out that only your score was saved online , everything else was on your HD, so when you had the YLOD or RROD you lost it all, and had to start again on a new machine, lost it's shine after that.
  • larkan - December 22, 2013 12:18 a.m.

We've seen this list 100 times before. These games weren't overlooked because they are bad, or because dudebro shooter 4 came out at the same time they did, it's because they don't do anything that's worth talking about. Dark Sector...oh yeah spinning that blade around the first dozen times was cool, but around 500 it gets old, and you're not even halfway through the game. Asura's Wrath was awesome until the second fight, when you did finally realize you just bought an interactive DBZ clone with a few QTE prompts in it.
  • shawksta - December 21, 2013 7:59 p.m.

I said it before and ill say it again MAKE THAT WII U TRAUMA TEAM SEQUEL ATLUS
  • bambam609 - December 21, 2013 4:59 p.m.

Whatever happened with The Legend of Dragoon? That was and still is such an amazing game, it resembles Final Fantasy in many aspects and such an amazing story. It would be so nice if they made another part or remade it in HD. Legend of Dragoon will not be forgotten!
  • Relzen - December 21, 2013 3:24 p.m.

At least Dark Sector got a sequel (Warframe)
  • KRaZiGLiTcH - December 21, 2013 2 p.m.

Metal Arms Glitch in The System should be on that list,It was such a classic and unique game that had so many levels and multiplayer was awesome and the story was great and sadly it is underrated and not too many people know of it. and if any Metal Arms fans sees this search WeWantMetalArms2 in google to find a page all about Metal Arms Glitch in The System Thanks
  • Relzen - December 21, 2013 8:43 p.m.

Metal Arms is not from the last generation it is from the one before that so it does not qualify for the list.
  • KRaZiGLiTcH - December 22, 2013 1:13 a.m.

Oh by last generation i thought it meant Every single one lol oh well Metal Arms does deserve to be on a underrated classic game list though. ^_^
  • jedisamurai - December 21, 2013 8:38 a.m.

As an email from Games Radar just reminded me...Valkyria Chronicles was...IS...a GREAT game. In fact, it's my favorite game of this generation. I listen to the soundtrack almost daily. I downloaded the anime. I've beaten it twice (once in English and once in Japanese) and am buying a PSP just to play the sequels (and plan to buy the Japanese no-subs Valkyria Chronicles 3).
  • cyril-murasakitsuyukusa - December 21, 2013 8:35 a.m.

The list omits some obvious choices: Puppeteer, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, LOTR: War in the North, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Atelier games, Muramasa, Genji: Days of the Blade and some other overlooked games of this gen.
  • Darklurkr23 - December 21, 2013 8:14 a.m.

Yea I've played about 5-7 of these, but I own 9-10. Really shows you just how much is available on current gen. We don't need next gen yet
  • TheMariner - December 20, 2013 11:02 p.m.

For a list of the most overlooked game, I was actually surprised at how many of these I played. Valkyria Chronicles - Really fun combo of TBS, TPS, and RPG Spec Ops: The Line - Interesting TPS with a surprising inspiration Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - I've loved all the Golden Sun games. It would be a shame if Dark Dawn was the last Red Steel 2 - Definitely what the first one should have been. Really satisfying swordplay and responsive controls Tales of Vesperia - I've always loved the Tales series for its moral ambiguity. The end goals of the antagonists are never inherently evil, but they tend to have an "ends justify the means" mentality about it. Grid - It was a pretty good racing game. Not much else I can really say about it, personally. Chromehounds - It was a nice break from fast-paced mech games like Armored Core. It's just a shame Sega shut down the servers almost a month before I finally got it. 999 - I actually bought the sequel first but was rather confused at some points so I figured I should play 999 first. Got so engrossed in the story that I finished all 6 endings within a week. And considering how much I'm liking Virtue's Last Reward, I'm probably going to buy Zero Escape 3 at launch.
  • jdblick1002 - December 21, 2013 12:11 p.m.

I've seen Valkyria Chronicles appear on a number of these kinds of lists across various comments/podcasts. I guess I'll add it to my backlog
  • Relayer71 - December 20, 2013 7:25 p.m.

Great article. But it shows what a great time it is to be a gamer when there are SO MANY good games that not many played released in the past few years on top of the MANY also great games that were big sellers. " Final Fantasy XII, for comparison, moved over five million." Are you sure you don't mean FF XIII? Because XII, although very different from previous FF games, was still an excellent game that deserved to sell many copies. XIII on the other hand was garbage. "...Dark Dawn is still a serviceable turn-based RPG" - This was the problem, it was just barely average and too easy. So glad Blue Dragon, Resonance of Fate, Lost Odyssey were mentioned. Goes to show that if JRPGs are kind of dead lately on non-handheld consoles it's not from lack of trying (on the 360, anyway). There was a good amount released, they just didn't do that well. These 3 were all good games that suffered from some minor, albeit crippling flaws: - Blue Dragon was too cutesy for it's own good, though it had a good combat system and great animation. And that boss "song"...laughable (unless you love melodramatic hair metal with tons o' guitar shredding). - Resonance of Fate had a fun and different combat system but it had such a steep and confusing learning curve. Map movement was also needlessly cumbersome. - Lost Odyssey could have been perfect: good soundtrack, lovely visuals, interesting characters and story (as far as JRPGs go), classic TB combat. BUT the problem? The combat was a bit TOO classic, down to the graphic-swirling, pan-around-the-party-for-10-seconds which was common in earlier RPGs. That added a needless 10 - 20 seconds before combat began. And THEN combat was a bit slow-paced with even common enemies having way too much HP but doing very little damage to your party. Blue Dragon's combat was much better and THAT made the game more enjoyable. But Lost Odyssey is still worth playing, it just requires patience. I think it would have been better reviewed with speedier combat. Everything else about the game was very well done. Also, surprised you didn't mention The Last Remnant, another very good JRPG that was probably held back by it's very unconventional game systems Otherwise, it was also above average, very enjoyable.
  • SakuyaFM - December 20, 2013 7:23 p.m.

Resonance of Fate is still an amazing game. It takes a lot of thinking compared to most JRPGs out there, and the voice acting is great as usual. Well, it's a bit biased since I do love Aya Endou's voicing, but still!
  • lakie92 - December 20, 2013 6:01 p.m.

Chrome hounds was literally my favourite game on 360 but i have to say noone should ever buy it now. The single player was only a small training mode for its huge online and the servers have now been (sadly) shut down so basically you get about an hour or two of play from it nowadays :(
  • Twinkling82 - December 20, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Sooooo glad to see Blur on this list - might sell a few more copies at the bargain bin price that this game definitely do not deserve. So much fun to be had.
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - December 20, 2013 4:08 p.m.

Sony duped themselves into believing that Resistance was their Halo just because of the sales of the first game, which happened to be the only good PS3 game for a long time after the system launched.