• Smash_Bro - January 7, 2012 9:58 a.m.

Wasn't there an article on GR a few days ago that said Nintendo, Sony and EA stopped supporting SOPA? At least, I think it was those companies. I'd really like to fight this, but being in Canada, I don't think I can do anything against a US-based law...
  • ThundaGawd - January 7, 2012 12:23 p.m.

What REALLY pisses me off is that an AMERICAN bill decides the fate of the internet for the ENTIRE world. It pisses me off to see that a single government system apparently believes it has the right to make a decision for EVERYONE without even caring about their stance on the subject. I'm Canadian as well, and I can't do anything about this SOPA, it really pisses me off knowing that someone is making a HUGE decision without even taking my opinion into account, it very frustrating... T_T
  • darron13 - January 7, 2012 12:39 p.m.

Yes, they removed their support, but the ESA which represents them still supports it, so it's more as if they're sharing the blame in a way. Their weight is still there, just under a different name.
  • jrex13 - January 7, 2012 9:43 a.m.

[quote] Piracy is a problem. It’s straight-up wrong. Stealing movies, games, music, whatever; it’s all wrong. Oh, you have a counter-argument? Sorry, nope. Piracy is bad. It hurts artists, plain and simple. [/quote] It's this blind stance that has caused SOPA. This is the mindset of Lamar Smith and heads of the RIAA and MPAA who put this bill together. If people with influence had decided years ago to use the same technology as pirates and give people the option to pay for the content they wanted this would be a very different situation and the above statement would be much more correct. Instead we have Warner Bros deciding to make people wait 56 days after a movie comes out in stores for people to be able to watch it on redbox or netflix. Who wants to bet the pirates can watch it much earlier than that...
  • lilbuddha - January 7, 2012 8:56 a.m.

[quote] Piracy is a problem. It’s straight-up wrong. Stealing movies, games, music, whatever; it’s all wrong. Oh, you have a counter-argument? Sorry, nope. Piracy is bad. It hurts artists, plain and simple. [/quote] Record profits. Every year. I know you are a journalist and REQUIRED to say the above statement, but it simply isn't a cut and dry statement as you want to put it. But you aren't allowed to argue the point, only echo what your overlords tell you.
  • winner2 - January 7, 2012 7:21 a.m.

The consequences of a move like SOPA's would be staggering. I can understand the moral value of the movement, but when it has the certainty of putting this much at risk I think it's smart to step back and realize putting up with piracy is the smaller sacrifice.
  • potpan0 - January 7, 2012 7:24 a.m.

With SOPA in effect, GR could be IP blocked with this message. Says it all really.
  • Desired_Effect - January 7, 2012 3:22 a.m.

Some of us are old enought to remember making mixtapes and recording songs off of the radio. Does anyone else remember the tapedeck was gonna 'take down' the music industry? Did it? You look at some of the biggest releases of the past few years in film/music/gaming and how many sales records have been broken. Yes piracy is a problem, but not as big a problem as we're being made to believe. For the record I use torrents to download some music and films but I also own 600 dvds/blurays and over 200 cds, I go to plenty gigs, buy merch and am an avid cinima watcher
  • Chrisd765 - January 7, 2012 5:18 a.m.

i agree it isn't as bad as people expect, and I'm sure i read a Survey a couple of years ago with the results showing that people who torrent movies, music etc are more likely to go out and buy the propper product. Also I do remember tepedecks, not sure if I should feel old because of that.
  • MCBadong - January 7, 2012 12:01 a.m.

Do NOT let this bill pass. Otherwise you are contributing to the eventual dissolution of true democracy and are helping the US, and the internet world, slowly creep into a dystopian-type government where those with influence, power and money control everything.
  • BlindMarksman - January 6, 2012 8:34 p.m.

I absolutely hate it when people try to justify their piracy acts. Man up to the responsibilities of your actions! I do not agree with SOPA (Too extreme for my taste), but don't go saying that because of the act, you will pirate like there's no tomorrow and will feel proud about it like your some modern day Robin Hood. After all it is most likely YOU (the pirate) who caused the to make this stupid decision. You wanted your free games, music, videos, etc... But now WE'RE ALL GONNA PAY FOR IT!
  • BlindMarksman - January 6, 2012 8:40 p.m.

By the way, i just wanted to clear up that i DO wish everything was free, i'm actually in the process of putting out a free EP, But unfortunately that's not how the world works right now, so we have to deal with it for now. After all, In this Money driven world regime, you wouldn't like the sweat of your brow to be spilled without reaping a reward for yourself, wouldn't you?
  • J-spit - January 6, 2012 10:14 p.m.

Send me links to your music?
  • BlindMarksman - January 6, 2012 10:38 p.m.

Haha! Sorry dude! I said i was in the PROCESS. Right now they're still demos 'n stuff, rough sketches that i want to polish before i actually release them. Now about the time of release... i'm not really sure. But i hope it's during this year. I wanna get better recording equipment and the like, but that might take some time. Sorry to get you intrigued. :( But i'll try to let you know if anything happens.
  • kit07 - January 6, 2012 7:14 p.m.

so let me get this straight... say they found some vid on YouTube tthat they wanted to take down, would this mean they just shut down the link to that particular vid or would they shut down ALLLLL of youtube? if it's the latter, then i don't know what i would do with myself.
  • Pwnz0r3d - January 6, 2012 7:19 p.m.

Pretty much, yes. The fact that practically every video on youtube is performing some form of copyright infringement (be it minor or major) doesn't help, either. However; Youtube's current handling of copyright infringement (no matter how incredibly annoying it is) should keep it safe should this bill pass.
  • The_Ouroboros - January 6, 2012 7:04 p.m.

I think the most shocking turn of events is that there is a White Republican from Texas named Lamar.
  • pr0tostar - January 6, 2012 6:52 p.m.

Between this and Wall St, I feel truly disgusted with my country for the first time in my life. Everyone in it for themselves. I will sign the petition.
  • TheFabricOfTime - January 6, 2012 6:40 p.m.

(Holds up memory flag) If I can recall, you said that Nintendo, Sony, and EA vanished from that list of supporters.
  • D0CCON - January 6, 2012 6:53 p.m.

Said Companies removed themselves from the list, but are still members of the ESA. Epic seems truly against it, but I bet others only formally removed support as a PR stunt.