• Ristar200 - March 24, 2010 2:02 a.m.

I'd say that many arcade games ported to consoles are not much fun anymore. Without the idea that your one quarter is your only life, the excitement of some games is just gone.
  • Ravenbom - March 24, 2010 1:32 a.m.

Corollary to my previous comment, I think that's why The World Ends With You worked for me. It takes place in modern Japan, so it's easier to accept it for being very Japanese.
  • Ravenbom - March 24, 2010 1:30 a.m.

I agree fully with Mikel, except that JRPGs have changed a little in one area: they've gotten WAAAAAYYYY more Japanese. Ever since the 16-bit era they've moved from Western Fantasy settings to dudes with impossible hair, 15 year old pedophilic fantasies (both male and female) and ever since voice over was added, the dialog became more and more Japanese. It's kind of alienating to Western audiences now. I mean, what Japanese shows do we get here in the west? None, because there's a huge cultural gap. JRPGs now are like trying to bring a Japanese show to the west.
  • fanboyhunter - March 24, 2010 1:20 a.m.

Wait a minute. So Mikel hates Killzone, Infamous and JRPGS?!?!? I don't know what to think...
  • skynetiscoming - March 24, 2010 1:09 a.m.

MoH Rising sun, played it last month and laughed until I shut it off.
  • Silentboy - March 24, 2010 1:03 a.m.

The only JRPG that interests me anymore is Pokemon.
  • JackSkellingtonsSkin - March 24, 2010 1:02 a.m.

I love it when all of the us edidors write an article.
  • hagelbreaker - March 24, 2010 1:01 a.m.

Uuuh ..... I love all these games now.
  • CH3BURASHKA - March 24, 2010 12:58 a.m.

Neat article. Sucks that 'That Damn Amrich' is gone: I would've loved to hear what he hates, now that he's over the hill. Not really, but he's getting there.
  • Ru89 - March 24, 2010 12:41 a.m.

ay GR any way of getting this guy banned?
  • Ru89 - March 24, 2010 12:41 a.m.

man WTF with the jewish stuff? i'm not jewish but go to hell
  • robotechandnarutosucks - March 24, 2010 12:39 a.m.

Why don't jews eat pork? Because they don't like cannabalism. How many Jews can you fit in a Volkswagen Bug? You can fit 30. 4 on the seats and 26 in the Ashtray. What's the difference between a Pepperoni Pizza and a Jew? Pepperoni Pizza doesn't scream when you put it in the Oven. How do you start a Jewish Marathon? Roll a Penny down a Hill. How do you scare a Jew? Turn on the oven. Q. Why aren't there any Jewish mothers on parole boards? A. They'd never let anyone finish a sentence! Q. What is the difference between an Italian grandmother and a Jewish grandmother? A. One says, If you don't eat, I'll kill you, and the other says, If you don't eat, I'll kill myself.\n Q. Why is money green? A. Jews pick it before its ripe Q. How was the Grand Canyon formed? A. A long, long time ago, a Jew dropped a nickel down a gopher hole. Q. How was copper wire invented? A. Many years ago, two Jews found the same penny. Q. What's a jew's idea of Christmas? A. Parking meters on the roof. Q. What does the Jewish Santa Claus say? A. Ho! Ho! Ho! Anybody wanna buy some toys?\n What is the difference between a Jew and a canoe? Canoes tip What's the object of Jewish football? To get the quarter back What did the little German boy get for his birthday? Easy bake oven and a G.I Jew Who is the greatest Jewish cook ever? Hitler
  • Ru89 - March 24, 2010 12:35 a.m.

hey i still love arcade beat em ups! its the fun with friends that make them great. even if you have unlimited lives and continues its still fun
  • Yaro - March 24, 2010 12:34 a.m.

It's really hard. I like JRPGs alot too. JRPGs as a whole haven't evolved but there are some awesome examples of innovation. I'm talking Valkyrie profile series, Shadow hearts series, Xenosaga (okok I know that one has some LONGASS cut-scenes but I like that actually), Rogue Galaxy, Ar Tonelico and some others. Personally I find those to be very unlike the generic JRPGs but still familiar enough to call them that. It is a niche market, especially in the west so I don't expect everyone to love 'em, but it's not entirely true they didn't evolve, never-the-less I do agree with Mikel, when it comes to JRPGs as a whole. /endrant
  • michaelmcc827 - March 24, 2010 12:31 a.m.

I smell QOTW... But anyways, great article. My mind is still being fucked by Brett's "I cannot understate" phrase, which to me sounds negative, but I digress... I used to love mario kart, but now I can't stand it, I guess my experience with online shooters and competitive multiplayer makes me more aggravated when purposely cheap power ups knock me out of the race.
  • GamesRadarMikelReparaz - March 24, 2010 12:17 a.m.

@Tygerclaws: Because open-world games, 3D platformers and survival-horror games exist, mostly.
  • Tygerclaws - March 24, 2010 12:12 a.m.

Haha, one of the few times I disagree with Mikel. You say JRPGs haven't changed, yet no other genre has changed, when put under the microscope. RPGs: Story, fight battles, story, fight battles, story, fight battles, grind, story, grind, grind, story. Shooters: Story...no gun........GUN! Shoot, shoot, corridor, shoot, GET TO THE RESONATOR, shoot...shoot... Adventure: Story! Cutesy! Parody! Now collect stuff for fifteen hours! Racing: Drive....drive...drive....HOLYCRAPACORNER!...modify, switch name brand tires... Now, explain to me why JRPGs get flak for not changing...when no other genre changes, either? This doesn't compute. This goes the same for characters. Shooters: Big, gruff-and-tumble army dood? Check. Snazzy/annoying sidekick on the telly? Check. Love interest we either never see or see too much of? Check. GET TO THE RESONATOR? Check. Racing: Annoying diphthong in your ear? Check. So, again, why are JRPGs given grief over this?
  • TURbo - March 24, 2010 12:11 a.m.

This is 15% like the QOTW from TalkRadar 63
  • Cyberninja - March 24, 2010 12:04 a.m.

i wonder what you think of the new verisons of the games?
  • CreeplyTuna - March 24, 2010 12:01 a.m.

i used to LOVE jrpgs and anime. now i dont...i just grew out of it