Topics

Fable

We Recommend

• MetroidPrimeRib - May 17, 2012 9:18 p.m.

After two terrible games in a row people STILL want another Fable?
  • rathekittycat - May 18, 2012 12:53 a.m.

After countless terrible, negative and just plain annoying comments people STILL want you to write more? Oh wait, no they don't but you write them anyway.
  • samsneeze - May 18, 2012 1:29 a.m.

You see the thing is, he usually presents a sound point with whatever he's posting. Much like he did just now. The only people who get upset over his comments now are people who don't get it.
  • Hobogonigal - May 18, 2012 3:26 a.m.

I don't get it, Fable 2 was actually good...
  • samsneeze - May 18, 2012 3:37 a.m.

Fable II had good points. The way you leveled up was good and the dog was a good start to something great. But the combat was starting to fall apart at this point and the enemy variety was had be completely stripped. The story was a downgrade and there were no longer any boss fights. Fable II was just a sign of the inevitable disaster that was Fable III. Though, if you enjoyed it, there really isn't much I can say against that. Heck, I enjoy Dynasty Warriors a lot more than someone as critical as I am should.
  • garnsr - May 17, 2012 8:34 p.m.

I thought Amalur was a decent Fable. It needed a bit more silliness, but it played more like Fable than Elder Scrolls. I kind of like how your character changed depending on how you used them in Fable 2, but since I'm a fighter-type player my sexy lady turned more muscular and less sexy as the game went on. I hate when that happens.
  • FlyinHawaiian13 - May 17, 2012 8 p.m.

I want my kids to grow up to adult hood and make their own choices based on how they were treated. Like my son turns evil because I wasn't there enough and it results in some epic battle.
  • winner2 - May 17, 2012 7:41 p.m.

At the end of Fable 2, I chose the dog.
  • Fuzunga - May 17, 2012 5:18 p.m.

The combat system in the first game was perfect. There was no need to change it completely. In fact, what you described in #9 is basically how it was before. Anyway, I'm just hoping that, without Monyneux, someone with a level head will step in and design the game around what makes it fun.
  • Slayer11496 - May 17, 2012 5:06 p.m.

I want more throwbacks to the old games. Fable 1 was dark, witty, and surprisingly emotional. Fable II improved in many ways on that. I think they need to go back and re-examine what made the games great.
  • kyle94 - May 17, 2012 4:47 p.m.

Honestly, I didn't mind Fable 3 while I was playing it. It just felt average to me. After I finished it, and I thought about it a little, my opinion dipped a bit. Not even touching the gameplay, but the plot seemed weak at times, or there were just a lot of missed opportunities. For example, it seemed just odd about how willing all of the characters were to support the brother of the tyrant, even after 'proving' himself and making a vague promise. It would've been more interesting if there was actually divisions in the Resistance, of the group splitting, some supporting you, others fighting against you trying to create a republic. I kept thinking about what I would've preferred. More choice as a king, and a better feel that what you're doing. Showing more of what the money you have in the treasury is actually doing to equipping the army. A more interesting take on the industrial revolution, maybe starting the game off in a small traditional town, and by the end of the game it's completely different, with coal and iron mines, and factories lining new streets. Honestly, in the end, the only thing I liked about the game's plot was the Crawler itself. He/it just seemed like the most threatening villain the series had. I do think that they need to try something new in any future games, though. Try different gameplay styles, make it more of an RPG.
  • mountain flames - May 17, 2012 4:44 p.m.

Why don't they just tell us a bunch of things they are putting in and make those features sound more interesting and indepth than they will actually be...Peter to the stage!!!!...Peter?, er....
  • sh33phead - May 17, 2012 3:21 p.m.

Amazing how much Skyrim really has set the benchmark for the future of gaming.
  • samsneeze - May 17, 2012 4:32 p.m.

Unfortunately...
  • yaswanth - May 17, 2012 5:35 p.m.

skyrim is awesome
  • bgm1975 - May 17, 2012 2:22 p.m.

No no no. Drop the silliness. Farting, belching, prancing around is just stupid, and not fun at all in an RPG. It adds NOTHING and we can't even take the game seriously. Witcher 2 made you embrace all the characters, and then feel awful when your decisions either killed them or made the world worst. Fable 4 needs to drop the Monty Python and take a look at Witcher, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fallot, Diablo, Dark Souls, and other SUCCESSFUL RPGs, and even Game of Thrones (the show not the game). THAT is what people want, darker, more adult themes and elements, deep characters, decisions that shape the world and the story.
  • samsneeze - May 17, 2012 2:48 p.m.

They worked fine in the first Fable, I don't think taking them away is what's needed.
  • Annihilator820 - May 17, 2012 9:38 p.m.

I beg to differ. One of the main points is "keep the silliness," as there are already plenty of serious RPGs out there (Skyrim, Amalur, Witcher). One of the best things about Saint's Row: The Third was its overall lack of seriousness, which made it different and allowed it to focus on being fun over being dark and moody. For RPGs to have Fable become their Saint's Row would be an excellent change in my opinion. As fun as dark and moody RPGs are, we need something equally fun and oppositely silly to counterbalance them.
  • Hobogonigal - May 18, 2012 3:27 a.m.

So you're saying that it should do exactly the same as numerous other RPG games and lose its own charm and character? Sir, have you even played a Fable game? And when you emphasise 'SUCCESSFUL RPGs', Fable sold 2million copies from 2004-06 and Fable 2 sold 3.5million copies from late 2008-early 2010. I would most certainly consider that successful. If you want to play a dark, realistic, moody RPG; please choose one of the ones which you have already named instead.
  • PBC13 - May 17, 2012 2:21 p.m.

More customization/personalization is a big one for me. I hated how that was stripped down in Fable 3. Both in terms of appearance and choices. I am a massive fan of the series though and Fable 2 is one of my favourite games so basically 'more like Fable 2' would work for me. Something I think would work especially well in Fable, and most games with a moral/choice mechanic, would be the chance to change your direction at certain points. Or to have a character who is shades of gray as opposed to just GOOD or EVIL. Eventually in games like Fable or Infamous or even Mass Effect you get to a point where you are no longer making a real choice but instead simply picking 'good' or 'bad' or 'blue' or 'red' to fill a meter. It would be nice for there to be the occasional moment throughout the game that changes your view of the world and then gives you a chance to re-asses if you want to be a 'Evil' or 'Good'. I guess basically a mixture of small and big choices, really. But as long as you felt you were making a choice as opposed to 'trying to pick the one that will make you go red/evil' or 'blue/good' I think it would be a step forward. Most great characters aren't just good or just evil. So why should our RPG characters be that simple?
  • Ell223 - May 17, 2012 1:50 p.m.

Needs to go back to what made the first Fable great. Don't know what it was, but I spent hours and hours in that game trying to get everything. I've replayed it a dozen times and it still beats 2 and 3 no contest. I particularly loved all the rumours and secrets hidden in Fable, I remember spending a whole afternoon trying to figure some of them out. I mean, most of them were made up, but it was fun to try. The newer two just seem shallow in comparison and have never reached the same height.
  • Cwf2008 - May 17, 2012 1:48 p.m.

Is it just me or is this layout still fucking stupid?