• shawksta - December 1, 2012 8:09 p.m.

Interesting article, although it doesnt seem to hit all the major nails. The point is clear and you did it well Cooper but it seems more people are just bawking at how some games's single player portion is ruined when the focus comes in Multiplayer. At times it does it well, as you said, other times it does not which is why people make such a hubbub. I personally dont mind, i give doubt to be sure they know what their doing with the outcomes working well, my only pet peeve is when other people bawk at Single Player games entirely and think their crap unless they add multiplayer.
  • GR HollanderCooper - December 1, 2012 10:05 p.m.

But no one has pointed out a game that was actually ruined by MP. Everyone just says "I'm sure the SP would have been better without MP," but it's much more complicated than that.
  • ParagonT - December 2, 2012 8:22 a.m.

These are my personal opinions; Armored Core games, Sacred 2, Halo Wars, Fable games, Transformers: WFC, Aliens vs Predator, Mercenaries 2, (This one might sting for some) Too Human, Far Cry 3, Brink, MVC3, and UFC 2009 as some. As for them being ruined? We can't be sure, but it's the underlying principle of games starting to shift directions in priority, namely multi-player. Although games may not be ruined by the multi-player, we cannot say for sure because we will never know what the single player would have infact been.
  • shawksta - December 2, 2012 9:28 a.m.

True to an extent, and sometimes it is and isn't complicated. People mention production costs and what not and is pretty much about wanting more on Single Player. I don't know, your probably right taking the whole production costs argument, but I'm just gonna throw this out and say its probably about my pet peeve I mentioned earlier, with people blabbing about Games with no Multiplayer are plain bad and such ruining the essence of SP.
  • brickman409 - December 1, 2012 7:48 p.m.

I remember the developer of bioshock saying that a multiplayer mode in a primarily single player game is pointless, because people play it for awhile but then quit and go back to playing huge MP games like COD or Halo. But in my opinion What I would like to see more is co-op campaigns like borderlands
  • taokaka - December 1, 2012 6:10 p.m.

I did enjoy uncharted and mass effect's multiplayer, however I will remain impartial on the matter until I play god of war ascension. If I enjoy its multiplayer then I will support your claim that tacked on multiplayer may not be so bad.
  • winner2 - December 1, 2012 5:38 p.m.

I don't play multiplayer modes with the exception of monster hunter on the wii and AC: BH when it came out. I wish they could split a game into 2 packages like someone already said. 1 without mp for cheaper and one with mp for more. It's an infant idea so I'm not sure what obstacles there'd be to it but I'd definitely appreciate it.
  • Perdire - December 1, 2012 4:55 p.m.

Rather disappointed by this article. . ., I clicked on the link from Facebook and thought they had gotten some insight into what would've been the multiplayer for Bioshock: Infinite. In any case, I don't think most sane people would argue that multiplayer in a single-player oriented game is a bad addition, but rather dislike the thought it takes resources and focus away from making the single-player game truly exceptional. Personally, I think games like Mass Effect 3 and Assassin Creed's III would've definitely benefited from this.
  • wicko - December 1, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Mass Effect 3 MP was really bad when it first released - which I admit was when I stopped playing (got one character to lvl 20) and I don't understand why people are praising it. The maps were small and uninteresting, the gameplay was identical per race, and there was very little do to in terms of objectives. It's not like competitive MP where the interesting factor becomes the other players and how they play the game, instead it's just AI that behaves pretty much the same way each time and they easily become predictable.. this is why competitive almost always outlasts cooperative. Maybe the game has changed since then but I do not have fond memories of it's original state.
  • wicko - December 1, 2012 4:53 p.m.

Just to be clear, when I say gameplay was identical per race, I'm referring to who you play against (Cerberus, Reapers, etc)
  • Fursnake - December 1, 2012 4:34 p.m.

Personally I don't bother with the multiplayer portions of single player games, but I also don't expect them to be done away with. What I would like to see is pricing options for games where I could buy just the single player portion at a reduced cost, separate from the multiplayer option. There can always be the full game option for the full $50/$60 games are going for, but I would be more likely to buy a cheaper single player only version of the game. I have stopped buying games when they come out now for the most part and just wait until they are half the price or less. I don't even buy anymore stuff like CoD and Battlefield I just rent them for the PS3 and I skip the multiplayer part.
  • Ames32 - December 1, 2012 4:31 p.m.

I'm sorry did he seriously say Assassins creed BH's Sp wasn't hindered by the edition of mutiplayer? Assassins creed 1 &2 both 30 to 40 hour games. Then BH and revelations hit and it was down to a 10 hour campaign, 3 was the only one too blend the two equally. ME and Uc don't count they are shooters it's bound to happen. But if these Deves spent the time improving their game as a whole and not worrying about MP, maybe just maybe they wouldn't be traded in so quickly. Or if they added more then an hour of gameplay in Dlc then their would last longer.
  • Bloodstorm - December 1, 2012 4:55 p.m.

Brotherhood was definitely hindered. The campaign was uninteresting, and more like an expansion to ACII's story instead of a full game. The story was quite padded out.
  • cbrinkmann1981 - December 1, 2012 5:27 p.m.

I stopped listening the moment you called Mass Effect a shooter.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - December 1, 2012 5:39 p.m.

Mass Effect 3 sadly reminded me more of a shooter than an RPG. The dialogue was stripped down to a) paragon choice or b) renegade choice, and the only other real rpg element it had was the leveling system.
  • Bloodstorm - December 1, 2012 9:26 p.m.

It was at least deeper than Mass Effect 2 when it came to RPG elements. Most RPG's usually are little more than good-nuetral-bad option anyways, at least when it matters. The rest of the dialog options are usually just narrative fluff, that I enjoy, but usually has no real effect on the game.
  • RedHarlow - December 1, 2012 4:24 p.m.

Cory Davis, the lead on Spec Ops: The Line, said he hates tacked-on multiplayer. 2K forced their game to have multiplayer. He said: "“The multiplayer game’s tone is entirely different, the game mechanics were raped to make it happen, and it was a waste of money. No one is playing it, and I don’t even feel like it’s part of the overall package — it’s another game rammed onto the disk like a cancerous growth, threatening to destroy the best things about the experience that the team at Yager put their heart and souls into creating.” and such descriptors as: “low-quality Call of Duty clone in third-person” and "“bullshit, [which] should not exist”. I think game devs would have a better understanding about if multiplayer if worth it.
  • GR HollanderCooper - December 1, 2012 10:02 p.m.

Yeah, but it didn't hinder the single-player--he just said it didn't fit.
  • bass88 - December 2, 2012 4:45 a.m.

Wasn't his point that the time and money wasted on the multiplayer could have been spent improving the single player? Let's face it, the gameplay in Spec Ops is nothing amazing. There are hints of greatness in the gameplay but mostly it's just generic. Like Kane & Lynch, everything but the bloody gameplay is magnificent.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 1, 2012 4:18 p.m.

I agree whole-heartedly, Cooper. Never has there been proof that a game's story/singleplayer was ruined BECAUSE of multiplayer--maybe it was just underwhelmed your expectations. Hell, I ENJOYED BioShock 2's MP, and Assassin's Creed had some of the best, most original MP to date. We have to take into account, though, that we as gamer's are picky, have much-too-high expectations, and in general like to complain a whole helluva lot. If you need some evidence to support those claims, go to PCGamer's comment section.
  • Kerime - December 1, 2012 3:59 p.m.

Uh Bioshock 2 was a tragedy...I haven't the lightest clue why this article exists. SP is so incredibly important now a days, adding multiplayer just allows the single player to slip from priority one, which is so incredibly important.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 1, 2012 4:14 p.m.

BioShock 2 was amazing. What was wrong with it?