Topics

Game Club

We Recommend

• Jackstraw - August 2, 2012 4:42 p.m.

A better question is, why, after all of these years since it's release, do game 'journalists' still try to make this game a bigger deal than it should be. It's almost like they feel nobody will take them seriously as a gamer (which is ridiculous in itself) if they don't parrot how awesome this, and other mediocre niche titles were. It was an OK game at best. I would bet money that the remastered live release sold less than 100,000, most of those to people who regretted spending the money after they actually played it. Games that are obscure, or didn't sell failed for a reason. Customers spoke with their dollars. Let it go already..
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 2, 2012 5:32 p.m.

Most of us haven't played it yet, and we're trying to see why it gets that acclaim.
  • ClockworkBro - August 2, 2012 5:34 p.m.

Are you suggesting that a game that doesn't sell great does this because it is not a great game? Sure this is the case with some games but I think everyone has that under selling, unheard of but amazing game they champion around. I think this game had enough people championing it so it became a thing. Do you have an underselling game you hold up to everyone? What is your "Beyond Good and Evil?"
  • Jackstraw - August 2, 2012 6:08 p.m.

I didn't say this was a bad game - I said it was OK. My point is, I'm tired of the way writers go on about it. It's like a few years ago when every videogame writer namechecked "Snatcher" when I seriously doubt most of them had ever even played it. I don't believe it's as much about exposing people to a great game they may have missed, as it is about building up some laughable type of credibility as a gamer. I don't have a game that I hold up to everyone. I figure if people didn't buy it, they didn't like it, and I don't need to try to sell them on it.
  • GR_SophiaTong - August 2, 2012 9:51 p.m.

We just want to play it :/
  • ClockworkBro - August 2, 2012 4:03 p.m.

First off, let me say thank you Gamesradar for finally getting me to play this game, okay on to proper business. So far the game is pretty cool, there's enough variety of things to do and each thing is works well in itself. I hope combat gets a little more complicated though I do like the Batman-esque fluid movement in combat between enemies which I don't remember happening in other game of the era. Taking pictures is really fun and I wish more games would use that mechanic like Bioshock. The characters are great, at least Jade and Pey'j specifically. I couldn't help mustering a smile when Pey'j activated "THE JET BOOTS!" They also made it feel like he isn't a responsibility in combat but a helper so far. The fact that we both get caught by the enemies and can be freed by the other is interesting. For last gen-ness though it is to early to really judge. As long as the game has more tricks up its sleeves and everything gets more difficult, specifically the puzzles, then I'll really enjoy my time finishing this game. I guess my one gripe of last gen blues was camera work confusing with a puzzle. I couldn't see the gear for opening to coal shoot for the longest time and it was quiet frustrating.
  • Moondoggie1157 - August 2, 2012 5:10 p.m.

I got stuck in the same place, that gear was a bitch to find. My cousin had the original copy when it came out, he offered to let me borrow it, but I didn't... Looking back it was a shitty decision haha
  • ClockworkBro - August 2, 2012 5:29 p.m.

I had a similar situation that you had with your cousin in that I had a chance to play it and didn't follow up. Tried it on Game Tap while not really being a PC gamer at all and was really confused and uninterested some parts due to the fact that I don't think I ever found the Black Rock Isle and just putz around the city
  • taokaka - August 2, 2012 3:52 p.m.

The game is absolutely brilliant so far, I love the photography and the music is beautiful but my favourite bit so far is when the domz crash into the lighthouse and that glorious slow motion battle to save the children takes place while spine tingling music plays. It's amazing how well it holds up to this day, I haven't had any control issues and the art style keeps it looking good.
  • Lurkero - August 2, 2012 2:14 p.m.

ehh...probably should have avoided a game that has been "game clubbed" several times already. There are plenty of gaming communities that reminisce about Beyond Good & Evil and talk about its different parts. I will be skipping this one and hopefully the next game club is more original.
  • Moondoggie1157 - August 2, 2012 2:48 p.m.

You do that ,Captain Buzzkill... You do that.
  • GR_SophiaTong - August 2, 2012 9:53 p.m.

We're going to make everyone play To the Moon.
  • El Dango - August 2, 2012 2:03 p.m.

I've played the original version many times before, but this is my first time going through the HD version. Not liking the control changes, but I'll probably get used to them. I think my favourite part in this section might be the opening scene, which does an excellent job of getting you pumped for the rest of the game, though exploring Black Isle is much fun as well. As for Jade and Pey'j, they are awesome. Easily two of the greatest, most likable characters in gaming.
  • Moondoggie1157 - August 2, 2012 2:02 p.m.

I am kicking myself in the ass for not picking this game up sooner. I've become addicted to taking photos all over again; Pokemon Snap remains one of my top 5 games of all time, and so far Beyond Good and Evil is giving it a run for its money. I think I'm on my 4th roll of film, taking pictures of every living creature I can find. Gameplay wise, I would put it up there with anything from this generation. I haven't been able to find a flaw thus far. I mean come on, Rastafarian rhinos? My favourite part as of now would be taking on that giant badass Gyrados-looking dragon in the hovercraft, I even managed to get a wicked photo of him as well. It's been torture holding back from playing more haha
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 2, 2012 3:20 p.m.

DAMMIT! Forgot to take a picture. SCREW EVERYTHING.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 2, 2012 1:19 p.m.

Most of my stuff will be in the video/audio podcast, posting tomorrow, but I need to talk about how much I love taking pictures. Like, seriously, if that opening island had infinite things to photograph I’d have NEVER left. It’s like Pokemon Snap, except you get to kill the stuff you photograph.
  • MrSuitMan - August 2, 2012 2:11 p.m.

I gotta agree with the photography gameplay. It is extremely fun. I;m really surprised more games haven't had something like that. Minor gripe however, you it doesn't keep track of which species you've already photographed, so that's kind of a pain if you wanna get everything. I gotta mention how great the music is in this game. This is actually my second playthrough of the game and I forgot how good the music was. As for gameplay, I feel that overall it's still pretty solid for a 3d adventure game. However, and it might just be because I'm playing on PC this time instead of PS2, I feel that movement in this game is sorta... sloppy. Like I feel Jade moves kinda slow and turns kinda awkwardly. Also it took me a while to get used to hovercraft controls. I don't know. Anyone else have this problem?
  • MrSuitMan - August 2, 2012 2:15 p.m.

Also for some reason, I'm getting a weird inkling that Jade and Pey'j maybe weren't as compelling characters as we remember them to me. Some of their dialogue seems kinda corny. Like the part where Pey'j was using the jet boots for the first time and he just yells out CHILECONCARNE, that felt kinda cringe-worthy. However, I am gonna hold off judgement on this aspect until I've played more of the game. We'll see.
  • GR_SophiaTong - August 2, 2012 9:50 p.m.

Since it's my first time through, I thought it was kind of entertaining. I wasn't expecting it to be funny, even if it is cheesy.
  • StrayGator - August 2, 2012 4:09 p.m.

Being the PC elitist schmuck that I am, I must admit that the PC version controls aren't all there. Even when mapping the commands to a gamepad, it just doesn't get what you want it to do. In a personal "First ever" I bought it again on PSN, and finally could advance in the game. However, considering the unique action palette of this game, the controls will always feel awkward - Not every game has the luxury to design its own ideal controller (GH, Mario64, Wii sport)